Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 06:19 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Let's try to stay constructive on a very delicate subject but I strongly believe that is time to really do something about it. The proposed bills bellow are looking pretty good if you ask me. But that's just my personal opinion....

Texas immigration bills mirror Arizona’s law (http://galvestondailynews.com/story/211938/ - broken link)

Bills At A Glance

• SB 126, HB 623, SB 259, HB 311, HB 183

Five bills have been filed that would require law enforcement agencies to check immigration status and report any immigration violations to the federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

HB 623 would also make English the state’s official language.

• SB 124, HB 302, HB 113

Three bills filed would establish a $10,000 civil penalties for law officers who don’t report immigration violations to the federal government.

• HB 655

This bill limits eligibility for indigent health care to “sponsored aliens” — those in the country legally on a permanent basis.

• HB 603

This bill would exempt victims and witnesses of a crime from immigration checks.

• HB 177

This bill would require employment eligibility to receive a driver’s license or identification.

• HB 601, HB 178, HB 140

Three bills require employers to use the E-verify system to check employees’ immigration status. HB 601 and HB 140 address state contractors. HB 170 requires government entities to use the federal program, and requires any employee responsible for failing to check an applicant’s immigration status to be fired.

I agree with Crone; the way to handle this is to go after the EMPLOYERS. Hey, members of Boards of Directors; hey, officers of corporations, we're talking about JAIL TIME FOR YOU (maybe Maduff needs a new roomie) if your company employs illegals.

Until you do that, all the rest of this is just pissing in the wind. It caters to the white anglo saxon base in Texas, but----we've got stringent laws on the books NOW! I was born in Texas, Dallas County to be specific; I am a White Anglo Saxon Protestant Male, and it practically took a blood test when I changed jobs last year. We have the laws NOW.

As to having the police stops, I don't like that at all. The reason? It's the old Ronald W. Reagan special, the "Slippery Slope". Once you start down that slippery slope where the cops can detain you because you "look like you might be", or where we all have to carry "papers, may ve see your papers, freulein?" identity papers constantly, or have to have a Federal Picture ID which we have to maintain on our persons at all times---I'd rather have the illegals with all the associated problems than have us become a police state---which is the endpoint of the slippery slope this points us down.

So, no thank you. I'm too Libertarian for that.

Last edited by Malvie; 02-16-2011 at 06:28 PM..

Old 02-16-2011, 06:19 PM

239 posts, read 639,026 times

Old 02-16-2011, 06:24 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,293 times
If Texas would fix the real reasons why they lost so much money maybe an actual conversation based on facts can be had about immigration issues

Old 02-16-2011, 06:58 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
HB 177 seems kind of pointless. You already have to show proof of citizenship or legal immigration status to get a driver's license. I also don't like the idea of having to prove my citizenship to a cop or face arrest. Anyone who believes in the free market should be against official language bills. Business will cater to their customer's language and so should government.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:52 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
This is just lip service to the far right. Nothing will change, but the Repubes will be able to shore up their vote for the next election cycle.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:56 AM

332 posts, read 532,697 times
Wow, all true. All lip service mostly. Oh, well.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:48 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,275 times
What is true that cartain gropus / populations are growing at a very rapid rate. I wonder what percentage is legal and illegal?

Census Numbers To Show Huge Hispanic Growth - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/26898859/detail.html - broken link)

Old 02-17-2011, 05:50 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,293 times
does it matter what ethnic group is growing versus those that aren't? why are you concerned about that? what is threatening about that specific ethnic group?

all questions you should ask yourself and try to truthfully answer

Old 02-17-2011, 07:03 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,275 times
You don't get my point mate. Is not about the ethnic group here. I am a personal statement of diversity. I am from Europe, married an Asian and my kids are confused. The best diverse place in the world this country is, trust me, and I really believe in it. Else I wouldn't be here.

What I am trying to point out from my previous statement is around the legality or lack of for certain immigrants. I for one worked from my first day in this country and diligently paid my dues and taxes. I am proud of that but most importantly I am VERY thankful for the opportunity this country provided me with. That being said the reason I asked about numbers of illegals is just because I am curious of how much burden we have to cover for the respective illegals. I believe I have every right to ask the question since money out of my pocket are going through various channels to help those illegals. i.e. healthcare, schools, etc, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
does it matter what ethnic group is growing versus those that aren't? why are you concerned about that? what is threatening about that specific ethnic group?

all questions you should ask yourself and try to truthfully answer

Old 02-17-2011, 07:04 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
you don't get my point mate. Is not about the ethnic group here. I am a personal statement of diversity. i am from europe, married an asian and my kids are confused. the best diverse place in the world this country is, trust me, and i really believe in it. Else i wouldn't be here.

What i am trying to point out from my previous statement is around the legality or lack of for certain immigrants. I for one worked from my first day in this country and diligently paid my dues and taxes. I am proud of that but most importantly i am very thankful for the opportunity this country provided me with. That being said the reason i asked about numbers of illegals is just because i am curious of how much burden we have to cover for the respective illegals. I believe i have every right to ask the question since money out of my pocket are going through various channels to help those illegals. I.e. Healthcare, schools, etc, etc.
:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: