Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:59 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times

Advertisements

my past career i spent way too much time in hospitals so yes. and clearly you are misinformed about the %s

very few illegals in europe? come on you are not european. do you know what is going on over there right now?

Old 02-17-2011, 09:02 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
...they may also do away with birth right citizenship. so i guess his european/asian children could still risk deportation had he come over just a few years from now....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
I'm all for doing away with birthright citizenship, especially if the parents of the child are in this country illegally. It's an artifact of another time that has outlived its purpose, and it is not something other countries do, so why should we?
So you're both saying that children of legal immigrants shouldn't have birth right citizenship? What if the parents became citizens after their children were born? Would the children then have to apply for citizenship? At what age? What about children of those born to a US citizen and a legal immigrant? How is doing away with birth right citizenship (of children born to legal immigrants) beneficial to the rest of us?

As for the original post, can't say it much better than Crone & Malvie.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:03 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
hes the one against birth right citizenship.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:07 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
artifact from another time that has outlived its purpose - like the 2nd amendment? i havent seen a threat of redcoats in years

so the people that are here illegally dont pay utilities, buy food, buy gas, buy anything, pay rent? who are you to say they get a fair pay of that cash under the table? what benefit do we get as legal citizens for the cheap labor?

so our public education is in the tank because of illegals? thats the number 1 reason, or even the only reason? or just part of a huge problem, maybe an insignificant part

what public services are illegals eligible for? id like to hear a layperson tell me what they can use
The birth right citizenship of the 14th amendment was passed to ensure that slaves (and their children/descendants) received full constitutional rights. The comparison to the 2nd amendment is a straw man argument, I think you can do better than that.

What illegals pay in sales tax does not equate in my opinion to the value they get out of our public services. Nor do I believe that the "value" citizens derive from their cheap labor (savings on produce costs, etc.) justifies the cost to society. Those public services include among other things education of their children, medical services at hospitals and the cost of incarceration at Federal and State prisons along with county jails.

The causes of public education being as lousy as it is are many. Illegal immigration is but one of them.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
So you're both saying that children of legal immigrants shouldn't have birth right citizenship? What if the parents became citizens after their children were born? Would the children then have to apply for citizenship? At what age? What about children of those born to a US citizen and a legal immigrant? How is doing away with birth right citizenship (of children born to legal immigrants) beneficial to the rest of us?

As for the original post, can't say it much better than Crone & Malvie.
No. The children of legal immigrants who hold citizenship or a green card. Those here on work or tourist visas should not should have birth right citizenship. Nor should the children of illegal immigrants be granted birth right citizenship.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:18 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Quote:
No. The children of legal immigrants who hold citizenship or a green card. Those here on work or tourist visas should not should have birth right citizenship. Nor should the children of illegal immigrants be granted birth right citizenship.
Thanks! I was just looking for clarification on your thoughts and appreciate that you provided it. FWIW, I agree with you.

Knax - wtf is your point? The discussion is about the United States - not the Philippines.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:21 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,793,637 times
Totally agree with rb4browns ... And I remember now, I had couple of expat Frenchies working with me on 3 years working visa and when their kid was born here the kid got an American passport right away. I believe there is also something called Tourist citizenship where folks come in to give birth and their kids are instantly US citizens.

Quote:

Old 02-17-2011, 09:49 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Quote:
The birth right citizenship of the 14th amendment was passed to ensure that slaves (and their children/descendants) received full constitutional rights. The comparison to the 2nd amendment is a straw man argument, I think you can do better than that.

What illegals pay in sales tax does not equate in my opinion to the value they get out of our public services. Nor do I believe that the "value" citizens derive from their cheap labor (savings on produce costs, etc.) justifies the cost to society. Those public services include among other things education of their children, medical services at hospitals and the cost of incarceration at Federal and State prisons along with county jails.

The causes of public education being as lousy as it is are many. Illegal immigration is but one of them.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
If this were the case, Michelle Malkin would have to shut her damned pie hole. One can dream, I suppose.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
If this were the case, Michelle Malkin would have to shut her damned pie hole. One can dream, I suppose.
Thank you for sharing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: