Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:32 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,570,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Uptown is overrated. No character, empty lots, and horrible traffic. Walking anywhere other than San Felipe, I wouldn't do it. I walked alon Post Oak and regretted it, nothing but huge parking lots and narrow sidewalks. The should have made it more like TMC.
We walked from Milan Estates to Specs on Richmond and I quite enjoyed the walk.

I've never felt uneasy walking along Westheimer at night, but I am a pretty big guy and am from the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 12:02 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Last time I was in Uptown it gave me a Dallas like chill. Lots of bottle blondes and trustafarians trying to out do each other with their designer labels and sports cars.
That's why, when I started working there, I upped my auto insurance liability coverage considerably. In addition to the above types, there are also some seriously nice cars there, as in $100-300k luxury & supercars.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:24 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,993,376 times
Uptown is nice but the traffic is enough to make you cry or want to cry.

I use to think I could go down there on a late Sunday 7ish and it'll be a little less hectic.

I went from to to to almost ready to head back home.

There's never a good time, all hours are hectic. You just have to be ready and happy go lucky/pop something anxiety if you're the type and be ready to brave it.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:00 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
We walked from Milan Estates to Specs on Richmond and I quite enjoyed the walk.

I've never felt uneasy walking along Westheimer at night, but I am a pretty big guy and am from the city.
Its just not tailored for walking. Hated walking on Westheimer at night, cars a few feet away flying past.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:05 PM

561 posts, read 972,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebor79 View Post
Do you mean River Oaks or Afton Oaks. They are the epitome of showing off money and being NIMBY jerks.

I agree with OP that uptown is beautiful drive at night. there are several new interesting developments popping up as well. I like DT more but uptown is nice.

Uptown Houston, Texas At Night - YouTube
My apologies, I guess I should have said western part of montrose, I meant the area around westheimer, shephard, dunlavy, commonwealth, waugh. I just feel that there are things going on there that are more than just making money, just my feel for the area.

That video isn't all that impressive, I really do think there are better drives around the country, heck I believe that there are as good or even better drives in Houston.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:06 PM

561 posts, read 972,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
The area between Uptown and Montrose, would include River Oaks, Afton Oaks, Highland Village(talk about pretentious that that whole strip of westheimer looks like a carbon copy of Rodeo Drive in Beverly hills) and that new development West Ave. Not exactly modest vill. I like the way uptown looks, modern architecture, with the crome street signs. And I also like driving through uptown at night, going down Westheimer. It looks beautiful.
Chrome streetlights? Seriously? Are we that easily impressed?

Old 11-16-2011, 01:00 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Uptown is nice but the traffic is enough to make you cry or want to cry.

I use to think I could go down there on a late Sunday 7ish and it'll be a little less hectic.

I went from to to to almost ready to head back home.

There's never a good time, all hours are hectic. You just have to be ready and happy go lucky/pop something anxiety if you're the type and be ready to brave it.
What about at 3AM??? LOL!

Old 11-16-2011, 07:32 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,149,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
Chrome streetlights? Seriously? Are we that easily impressed?
Run down houses and shops that sell used merchandise in Montrose? Seriously are we that easily impressed.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:38 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Run down houses and shops that sell used merchandise in Montrose? Seriously are we that easily impressed.

Ok, that made me laugh out loud.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:19 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,570,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Its just not tailored for walking. Hated walking on Westheimer at night, cars a few feet away flying past.
Maybe one doesn't notice these kind of things when their destination is Spec's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston