Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:09 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,570,037 times

Advertisements

As you may remember (or probably long have forgotten) my good friend moved to the Uptown area a while back. He is a close friend of mine and I visit him often.

I think he pays a bit too much (he lives in Milan Estates in a rental). This fact is extraploated by the fact that he met a nice lady that lives across the street in Creole on Yorktown. Nice apartment complex and a lot cheaper than his condo/townhouse whatever you call it.

But I was curious. Why is it so much cheaper to live on that side of Yorktown Ave? Do those crapper apartments next door to Creole bring down their value? They are called "Yorktown" only (I actually lived there for a few months way back in the day. Not nearly as nice as the Creole complex).

Also, is Uptown kind of underrated in your opinion? I love walking along Westheimer and Post Oak, and the drive at night is very pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 08:44 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,495,689 times
I do love uptown, much more than downtown, rice village and midtown. I like the fact that it's modern looking, especially with the new mixed use commercial development going up there. I like the drive at night. I like the choice of restaurant and shops around there. There are quite a few good people watching spots. What I don't like is the traffic at rush hour and around the Galleria at christmas.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:07 PM

561 posts, read 972,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
I do love uptown, much more than downtown, rice village and midtown. I like the fact that it's modern looking, especially with the new mixed use commercial development going up there. I like the drive at night. I like the choice of restaurant and shops around there. There are quite a few good people watching spots. What I don't like is the traffic at rush hour and around the Galleria at christmas.
Well, IMO I believe that the uptown area is way to "fake". The uptown area has no character, its a developers playground, they build some stupid, fancy new version of a strip mall call it "mixed use commercial development" and hope people are shallow enough to buy into it.
They tend to put up any new commercial complex and market it in order for people to overpay for whatever junk is being sold there. That tends to invite very pretentious people and only exacerbates the vibe and feel of the area.

I really enjoy the area between uptown and montrose, that area seems to have character and history. There isn't that feeling of people trying to show off their money and it definitely has a more neighborhood feel to it.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:11 AM

385 posts, read 968,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
Well, IMO I believe that the uptown area is way to "fake". The uptown area has no character, its a developers playground, they build some stupid, fancy new version of a strip mall call it "mixed use commercial development" and hope people are shallow enough to buy into it.
They tend to put up any new commercial complex and market it in order for people to overpay for whatever junk is being sold there. That tends to invite very pretentious people and only exacerbates the vibe and feel of the area.

I really enjoy the area between uptown and montrose, that area seems to have character and history. There isn't that feeling of people trying to show off their money and it definitely has a more neighborhood feel to it.
Do you mean River Oaks or Afton Oaks. They are the epitome of showing off money and being NIMBY jerks.

I agree with OP that uptown is beautiful drive at night. there are several new interesting developments popping up as well. I like DT more but uptown is nice.

Uptown Houston, Texas At Night - YouTube

Old 11-15-2011, 06:30 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebor79 View Post
Do you mean River Oaks or Afton Oaks. They are the epitome of showing off money and being NIMBY jerks.
Exactly what I was thinking. And the apartments that border River Oaks house some of the most pretentious post-college d-bags in the entire city, you'd think you were in Dallas for a minute.

Anyway, I also like Uptown but maybe the "magic" some people see isn't there for me since I work in the area. The post above me is accurate-- rush hour traffic is no joke. Just trying to get out of Uptown / Bellaire is half of my commute.

I enjoy driving through at night during December but I am not a fan of walking around outside of the mall. Looking at things from the comfort of your vehicle, it seems walkable but actually being out on foot, everything is extremely large and spread out. I've tried to use my lunch hour to walk around to run some errands or go to a restaurant, but those sidewalks just go on forever. At least parking is ample.

Also during December the area is crawling with thugs waiting to rob you for your gifts. Just be on guard; take a lesson by watching the single women who live there, ready to stab you with their keys. People who live there seem exceedingly stressed out more than any other part of town IMO, and it's even worse during the holiday season.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:11 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,149,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebor79 View Post

I agree with OP that uptown is beautiful drive at night. there are several new interesting developments popping up as well. I like DT more but uptown is nice.

Uptown Houston, Texas At Night - YouTube
The area between Uptown and Montrose, would include River Oaks, Afton Oaks, Highland Village(talk about pretentious that that whole strip of westheimer looks like a carbon copy of Rodeo Drive in Beverly hills) and that new development West Ave. Not exactly modest vill. I like the way uptown looks, modern architecture, with the crome street signs. And I also like driving through uptown at night, going down Westheimer. It looks beautiful.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:42 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
I love that video!

Old 11-15-2011, 07:47 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
I love Uptown, it feels like it's own small hometown. But the traffic has gotten completely insane over the past 5-8 years. 610 is a nightmare around there, I avoid it at all costs at all hours of the day.

As to the Inner Loop being less pretentious...you have got to be kidding me. Any place in this country that has wealth is going to offend those that don't like conspicuous consumption. NYC and LA, need I say more?

Walmart or Chanel...whatever make the economy roll, I have no problem with.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:55 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Uptown is overrated. No character, empty lots, and horrible traffic. Walking anywhere other than San Felipe, I wouldn't do it. I walked alon Post Oak and regretted it, nothing but huge parking lots and narrow sidewalks. The should have made it more like TMC.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:58 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
Last time I was in Uptown it gave me a Dallas like chill. Lots of bottle blondes and trustafarians trying to out do each other with their designer labels and sports cars.

At the wrong time of day traffic is an absolute nightmare. I closed on my house there and wasted 30 minutes in traffic...at mid morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston