Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 12:12 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
if you have to take more than 2 years to get a community feel in Austin then sorry dude, that characteristic is too minuscule to promote.

Sorry. Austin is a deeply Texan city.
Yes Austin is a deeply Texas city! I'm very proud of that! I call myself a Texan all the time. It's this attitude that people from the rest of Texas can't allow any other city to enjoy their Texas cities for their unique endeavors. Why do you live in Houston? If Austin is just like Houston why do you like Houston more than Austin?

Answer is easy: because there are unique things about Houston that you enjoy about it. I don't take that away from you. Why do you try to take that away from me and enjoy Austin for its own uniqueness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 12:17 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Yes Austin is a deeply Texas city! I'm very proud of that! I call myself a Texan all the time. It's this attitude that people from the rest of Texas can't allow any other city to enjoy their Texas cities for their unique endeavors. Why do you live in Houston? If Austin is just like Houston why do you like Houston more than Austin?

Answer is easy: because there are unique things about Houston that you enjoy about it. I don't take that away from you. Why do you try to take that away from me and enjoy Austin for its own uniqueness?
Sorry, I live in Houston because Houston has variety. I don't take anything from Austin that is deserves to have.

Austin is not unique it the ways you mention. San Antonio is more down to Earth, and Houston is friendlier. Using these descriptors to set Austin apart from the others is faulty reasoning because Austin is not more laidback than SA. SA is so laid back it seems like nothing is ever getting done.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I live in Houston because Houston has variety. I don't take anything from Austin that is deserves to have.

Austin is not unique it the ways you mention. San Antonio is more down to Earth, and Houston is friendlier. Using these descriptors to set Austin apart from the others is faulty reasoning because Austin is not more laidback than SA. SA is so laid back it seems like nothing is ever getting done.
Im not calling Austin the most friendly, most laid back Texas city. I'm saying that the vibe and community are much different. Yes, there is a care free spirit but its that and all these other things that makes it different.

I should know... its why I prefer Austin over San Antonio or Houston. Why are you trying to take that away from me?

Old 08-16-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Im not calling Austin the most friendly, most laid back Texas city. I'm saying that the vibe and community are much different. Yes, there is a care free spirit but its that and all these other things that makes it different.

I should know... its why I prefer Austin over San Antonio or Houston. Why are you trying to take that away from me?
again, I am not taking anything from you. If you had said the vibe is different I would not disagree cause the vibe IS different.

But you said laidback and carefree that sets Austin apart, when in fact it is one of the least laid back of the major cities.

Most Laid back:

1. San Antonio
2. El Paso
3. Houston
4. Fort Worth
5. Austin
6. Dallas

Old 08-16-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
again, I am not taking anything from you. If you had said the vibe is different I would not disagree cause the vibe IS different.

But you said laidback and carefree that sets Austin apart, when in fact it is one of the least laid back of the major cities.

Most Laid back:

1. San Antonio
2. El Paso
3. Houston
4. Fort Worth
5. Austin
6. Dallas
You didn't just say that. You said a whole bunch of other things; that it wasn't a community and whatnot.

But if you agree that the vibe is different then why did you question me in the first place when you asked what made Austin's lifestyle different? And don't say that "lifestyle" is not the same thing as vibe, because the vibe is a part of the lifestyle. I feel they go hand in hand.

But if you feel that San Antonio is more laid back... I don't disagree with you. I personally feel that all of Texas is pretty much laid back. I'd personally give Galveston and Corpus the most laid back cities... but if we're going major cities this would be my list:

1. EP 2. FW 3. SA 4. Austin 5. Houston 6. Dallas

And I also disagree with you that Houston is not unique. Houston is unique even from the rest of Texas in some respects and I feel this too makes it underrated. Btw, how long have you lived in Houston if you don't mind my asking?

Last edited by migol84; 08-16-2012 at 12:53 PM..

Old 08-16-2012, 01:08 PM

940 posts, read 2,028,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
I think you're over-complicating the distinctions between "cool" and "hip" - the fact is Portland is a very hip city, no matter how you slice it. I would put it above Philly, Seattle, Minneapolis, and Chicago on your list, easily. I'd put it on par with SF amd NYC as the three hippest cities in the country.
What do you define as hip then?

And to be fair, the last time I was in Portland was in 2008 and it definitely did not seem all that hip (it felt even more old school grunge/90s than I expected), but I would assume it's probably become a lot more fashionable since then. I could definitely see putting it above Philly/Seattle/etc. I really don't stand by my listing after the first two, so I could see Portland/SF/Seattle/Chicago being the third tier.

If you're going by percentages of the population that are interested in being hip, then I could see you saying that SF and Portland deserve to be in the "top 3," but I think that "hip" is a lot more about the quality of a city's hipness than its quantity--so for that reason I'd put NYC and LA well above the rest. They are just that much more tied into global culture than other cities.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:17 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,756,487 times
Notice how the "known" cities avoid this topic, lol.

Let the Narnian cities argue amongst themselves!

Old 08-16-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
You didn't just say that. You said a whole bunch of other things; that it wasn't a community and whatnot.

But if you agree that the vibe is different then why did you question me in the first place when you asked what made Austin's lifestyle different? And don't say that "lifestyle" is not the same thing as vibe, because the vibe is a part of the lifestyle. I feel they go hand in hand.

But if you feel that San Antonio is more laid back... I don't disagree with you. I personally feel that all of Texas is pretty much laid back. I'd personally give Galveston and Corpus the most laid back cities... but if we're going major cities this would be my list:

1. EP 2. FW 3. SA 4. Austin 5. Houston 6. Dallas

And I also disagree with you that Houston is not unique. Houston is unique even from the rest of Texas in some respects and I feel this too makes it underrated. Btw, how long have you lived in Houston if you don't mind my asking?
I asked about lifestyle not vibe. I wanted to know how people live differently in Austin vs the others. Still waiting for an answer

seconfly, I never said Houston was not unique. I said I lived in Houston because of the diversity of options. Where I mentioned unique was when I said Austin is not unique in the categories you mentioned. You can't say Austin's lifestyle is different because it is more laidback. It is not unique in the laidback department. All the major cities are laidback.

I have lived in Houston for 10 non consecutive years. San Antonio for 4 consecutive years and Austin for two.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I asked about lifestyle not vibe. I wanted to know how people live differently in Austin vs the others. Still waiting for an answer

seconfly, I never said Houston was not unique. I said I lived in Houston because of the diversity of options. Where I mentioned unique was when I said Austin is not unique in the categories you mentioned. You can't say Austin's lifestyle is different because it is more laidback. It is not unique in the laidback department. All the major cities are laidback.

I have lived in Houston for 10 non consecutive years. San Antonio for 4 consecutive years and Austin for two.
I'm just gonna throw it at you. I feel I'm more familiar with TX than you are as a whole. I've lived in Texas virtually all my life. 8 consecutive years in Houston. 12 consecutive years in Austin. 4 consecutive years in the DFW area. Four of the other years of my life I've lived in Idaho, New Mexico and now California.

The vibe is part of what makes Austin's lifestyle unique. The atmosphere there is different than the other cities in Texas. I feel that you get some of it in Houston and Denton might be another but for the most part, the creative laid back community is most predominant in Austin.. it's not the "laid back" aspects of it alone that make it unique. I'd figure this was self-explainatory and didn't need any more elaboration. I've given you so many answers that I feel I'm not being taken seriously. I just don't see why you go out of your way to engage someone in a topic you're not familiar with.

What part of Austin did you live?

And also when I said that you lived in Houston because there may be something different about it than the rest of Texas you said, "sorry I live here because of its variety." So it sounded like you said that Houston was not unique. Also on top of the fact that you said Texas cities were all basically the same. I will say though that its diversity is part of what makes it unique in the same that way that Chinatown makes San Francisco unique unto its own.

Last edited by migol84; 08-16-2012 at 02:04 PM..

Old 08-16-2012, 05:20 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,569 times
Quote:

From my experience, Austin is definitely more laid back than Houston, mainly because it's a city full of younger people who value fun and friends. I live in Central Austin and every night people are all out and about, going to the bars, exercising at the park, just enjoying their lives. Houstonians are more business focused, worried about work, preparing for the next day. There are certain trade offs to both cities but I much prefer the lifestyle of Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston