Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 05:51 PM

940 posts, read 2,028,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Of course there will be bashing... I've been saying for years that Houston is an underrated city, certainly has lots of "coolness"... but isn't portrayed well (or just ignored) by the media and Hollywood... which has a huge effect on perception.

Though there is definitely something subjective in measuring "coolness", if it is to be quantified, a lot of the criteria Forbes used for this list is legit:

Professional jobs mean young professionals move in. Young professionals have money and like to have fun. Being a very pro-business city like Houston is, new places easily pop up to accommodate the growing demand for cool bars, restaurants, art places, recreation, etc. etc. This has being going on for several years. Even before that, Houston had a very quirky vibe because of the lack of formal zoning.

The main area Houston lacks "coolness" and thus has people scoffing at this list? Perception. But again, perception is very dependent on the way a place has or hasn't been portrayed, at no fault of its own.
I would really love to see/read more about Houston's quirky/cool aspects. Worldlyman has done some posts that get into some of it, and I like what he describes. That said, outside of a small area of montrose I'm not really familiar with any cool/hip areas. As an angeleno I know that perception can often be way off the mark, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing a whole lot and I'd love to hear more about Houston's cool aspects if you're up for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 05:55 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,006,897 times
Never really thought of Houston as a hipster city let alone topping the "most hippest city" list. Kind of odd in a way but congrats anyway.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:17 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,218,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
So you "heard" Houston is the most boring city in the nation and you "heard" everyone is trying to move out of the city but only stay there because of job growth? So that means you've never been to the city or spent any significant time there? Nothing in your post establishes your personal experience with the city. Just heresay. Your credibility is shot.
You dont know nothing!!!i been going to houston since i was a kid

Old 08-15-2012, 06:19 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
I would really love to see/read more about Houston's quirky/cool aspects. Worldlyman has done some posts that get into some of it, and I like what he describes. That said, outside of a small area of montrose I'm not really familiar with any cool/hip areas. As an angeleno I know that perception can often be way off the mark, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing a whole lot and I'd love to hear more about Houston's cool aspects if you're up for it.
He has some good descriptions, and gets out a lot more than me these days. People give him a hard time over his enthusiasm... but in reality, if the place blew, you wouldn't have people passionate about it like that. He's just one example... they're everywhere.

Montrose is probably the most famous neighborhood, but also the Heights, the Museum District is cool in a more upscale sort of way, Westbury is starting to get attention, the east end of downtown is really up-and-coming, and several more I'm missing but hear people talking about a lot. Art Car Parade started in Houston. There's a Sundance Cinema in downtown now. The new Free Press Summer Fest is, to many, better than ACL Fest. There's definitely a live-and-let-live vibe in Houston... the mayor is openly gay but still Texan. For comparison to similar yet still different cities, you won't find the same sterility and materialism of Dallas, and won't find the trying-too-hard-in-your-face-hipsterness of Austin either... Houston is much more genuine than both. This last part is just my opinion from lots of experience, though I'm sure their residents won't like my honest thoughts.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:35 PM

963 posts, read 2,411,918 times
'Forbes' and 'hippest' don't really belong in the same sentence. I actually laughed when I saw the title of this thread, and I'm not trying to be insulting. It was just an instant reaction.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:24 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,320,166 times
Quote:
He has some good descriptions, and gets out a lot more than me these days. People give him a hard time over his enthusiasm... but in reality, if the place blew, you wouldn't have people passionate about it like that. He's just one example... they're everywhere.

Montrose is probably the most famous neighborhood, but also the Heights, the Museum District is cool in a more upscale sort of way, Westbury is starting to get attention, the east end of downtown is really up-and-coming, and several more I'm missing but hear people talking about a lot. Art Car Parade started in Houston. There's a Sundance Cinema in downtown now. The new Free Press Summer Fest is, to many, better than ACL Fest. There's definitely a live-and-let-live vibe in Houston... the mayor is openly gay but still Texan. For comparison to similar yet still different cities, you won't find the same sterility and materialism of Dallas, and won't find the trying-too-hard-in-your-face-hipsterness of Austin either... Houston is much more genuine than both. This last part is just my opinion from lots of experience, though I'm sure their residents won't like my honest thoughts.
Then we agree to disagree.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:48 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
eh, there are definitely people in portland who think they are cool and hip--just like anywhere with a modicum of name recognition.
Yes, of course, but follow closely to what I'm saying. They feel they're hip and cool but not based on your definition of cool. Read your criteria again and that doesn't sound like Portland at all... I actually feel Portland is much cooler than that.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:59 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times
Chicago didn't make the list?

Old 08-15-2012, 11:21 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,833 times
Quote:

The bolded line is an unfalsifiable hypothesis but its not as if Austin even cares.

I think Austin is like the only city on the planet that just doesn't care what people try to label it as. I mean that sincerely... the people there just don't care what people from Houston or any other city think of it. Even when people think that Austin is trying to be like Portland or San Francisco.... the funny thing is they are making very original strides that only said cities wish they had.

But darned if Austin opens up a place like the Highball and now they're "trying too hard"... oh please.

these guys are a perfect example of what Austin's attitude is... call it "austintude" if you'd like, I find it particularly awesome. Basically is using negative criticism against them and using it in their favor... calling it "awesome".

http://justines1937.com/amazing/

Old 08-15-2012, 11:51 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
The bolded line is an unfalsifiable hypothesis but its not as if Austin even cares.

I think Austin is like the only city on the planet that just doesn't care what people try to label it as. I mean that sincerely... the people there just don't care what people from Houston or any other city think of it. Even when people think that Austin is trying to be like Portland or San Francisco.... the funny thing is they are making very original strides that only said cities wish they had.

But darned if Austin opens up a place like the Highball and now they're "trying too hard"... oh please.

these guys are a perfect example of what Austin's attitude is... call it "austintude" if you'd like, I find it particularly awesome. Basically is using negative criticism against them and using it in their favor... calling it "awesome".

Justine's Brasserie
Hit the nail!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston