Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 06:00 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
They are techically refugees, unless the webster dictionary is wrong:

ref·u·gee : one that flees; especially : a person who flees to a foreign country or power to escape danger or persecution

But yes, ''evacuees'' is a much more accurate description, and is the term I use.

Speaking of this, yes they are still around and they probably aren't going anywhere. Almost every day driving to work I still see at least one Louisiana license plate. I'd say 99% of them are just doing what everyone else does: going to work to support themselves and their families. Yes, crime has gotten worse here, and no matter what the PC crowd tells you, we all know exactly why it's happening. But it's not like we didn't have a ****load of crime to begin with. Any drop in crime here will trend gradually over the long term at best. You can't say we didn't ask for it though.

And last time I checked, the DFW crime rates were all on par with ours, if not worse. I've sometimes heard native Dallasites say they have the reputation for being the ''meanest'' city in Texas.
Please read the definition you just wrote. They are not "refugees".

Old 12-01-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
when youre over the crime thing you should still make sure you dont live too close to folks from NOLA. their type of lifestyle isnt what you would want from your neighbors. you can find lovely people from NOLA but you still have to live with their junky cars, loudmouth attitudes, baby-mama culture. they also have friends in the ghetto apartment areas who'd like to hangout in more peaceful neighborhoods. kinda like ghetto MTV cribs in front of your house
Oh please. I have family in New Orleans and they are nothing like that. This is just as stereotypical as every Texan wearing a cowboy hat and riding horses to work. The evacuees that came to Houston have blended in with the Houston area population already. You can't tell they are from New Orleans anymore.

To the OP, you really want an apartment, the Katy area has some nice ones on South Fry Road near Kingsland Boulevard (close to I-10). They are upscale, and are zoned to the exemplary Taylor High School.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:10 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times
A lot of them haven't blended and yes you can tell.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
You are probably not in Houston then because that isn't true. You may find some accents on some of the New Orleans natives, but other than that, you can't tell.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:28 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Oh please. I have family in New Orleans and they are nothing like that. This is just as stereotypical as every Texan wearing a cowboy hat and riding horses to work. The evacuees that came to Houston have blended in with the Houston area population already. You can't tell they are from New Orleans anymore.

To the OP, you really want an apartment, the Katy area has some nice ones on South Fry Road near Kingsland Boulevard (close to I-10). They are upscale, and are zoned to the exemplary Taylor High School.
*oh please* you know who i'm talking about. you guys who came from new orleans or have relatives in NOLA gets all defensive, i'm not talking about that.
i'd take a picture of my neighbors but theyre just starting to get it after a visit from the police and warnings from the HOA .

Old 12-02-2007, 04:31 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
*oh please* you know who i'm talking about. you guys who came from new orleans or have relatives in NOLA gets all defensive, i'm not talking about that.
i'd take a picture of my neighbors but theyre just starting to get it after a visit from the police and warnings from the HOA .
Dude please just shut the hell up, you're just a racist. You're always going and around about way of showing it, it's geting old.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:34 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,542 times
The thinly-veiled racism in this thread just boggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
How, pray tell, can you tell? Please enlighten me. And more importantly, why does it matter? Most Katrina evacuees (and yes, that is the correct word for those who can't read or make head or tails of a definition ) are not criminals or thugs or gangstas. They're regular folk whose families lived in NOLA for generations. Most were homeowners and went to work every day. I know this from living there, not from watching alarmist reports on the news and believing everything I read and see on TV, like many on this thread.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:58 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,478 times
According to the OP his questions have been answered via DM. This topic got off on the wrong foot to begin with and has spiraled downhill quickly. If the OP has any further inquiries please start a new thread keeping in mind lessons learned from this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston