Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 07:14 AM

6 posts, read 16,717 times

Advertisements

Are there still katrina refugees in Katy? If so, what areas? I know the crime rate has gone up in Houston since their arrival, but not sure about Katy or Cypress. My wife and 2 kids are wanting to relocate to either Katy or Cypress suburbs of Houston or the "cookie-cutter" suburbs of DFW(Frisco, Keller, or Rockwall) by next summer. Of course we will visit both areas before we make a decision but I was just wondering about this.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:56 AM

690 posts, read 2,630,586 times
There are still people living in and around Houston who came here from New Orleans, yes.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:08 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,687,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin' Man View Post
Are there still katrina refugees in Katy? If so, what areas? I know the crime rate has gone up in Houston since their arrival, but not sure about Katy or Cypress. My wife and 2 kids are wanting to relocate to either Katy or Cypress suburbs of Houston or the "cookie-cutter" suburbs of DFW(Frisco, Keller, or Rockwall) by next summer. Of course we will visit both areas before we make a decision but I was just wondering about this.
They aren't refugees. Last time I checked, Louisiana was in the USA. They're called evacuees, and I'm sure there are thousands of them still here. Since you're so concerned, you'd be better off moving to DFW. They didn't take in anywhere near the amount Houston did.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:35 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,447,652 times
There aren't very many apartments in Cypress, so no.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:36 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
They aren't refugees. Last time I checked, Louisiana was in the USA. They're called evacuees, and I'm sure there are thousands of them still here. Since you're so concerned, you'd be better off moving to DFW. They didn't take in anywhere near the amount Houston did.

They are techically refugees, unless the webster dictionary is wrong:

ref·u·gee : one that flees; especially : a person who flees to a foreign country or power to escape danger or persecution

But yes, ''evacuees'' is a much more accurate description, and is the term I use.

Speaking of this, yes they are still around and they probably aren't going anywhere. Almost every day driving to work I still see at least one Louisiana license plate. I'd say 99% of them are just doing what everyone else does: going to work to support themselves and their families. Yes, crime has gotten worse here, and no matter what the PC crowd tells you, we all know exactly why it's happening. But it's not like we didn't have a ****load of crime to begin with. Any drop in crime here will trend gradually over the long term at best. You can't say we didn't ask for it though.

And last time I checked, the DFW crime rates were all on par with ours, if not worse. I've sometimes heard native Dallasites say they have the reputation for being the ''meanest'' city in Texas.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:05 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,636,342 times
This should not become a Houston vs. Dallas debate!

To the OP I would like to see some specific questions you have regarding the localities you are researching beyond whether or not people that have relocated here from out of state live there. It is no mystery that lots of people are in the Houston area due to the Katrina disaster, lots of them are in CA and NY also. Folks are free to locate where ever they wish in this country last time I checked. If you have concerns about crime there are a plethora of stats available online and certainly many of the locals can help out with that information right here.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin' Man View Post

Stay away from N Fry & West Little York area in Katy - Especially Plantation Lakes - it is riddled with crime, etc.....I know people who are walking their homes, just to get out of there. Good luck...

Old 11-29-2007, 12:05 PM

6 posts, read 16,717 times
I apologize if refugees was the wrong word but I think you knew what I meant and no this is not to start a Dallas vs Houston debate.

I had a specific question on the Houston area because of things I've read on-line about the area since Katrina and was just hoping to get some help from people that are actually in the area since you can't always trust the media. They make it sound so bad there since the evacuees arrived but I know it's way overblown and wanted an honest opinion from people on here because I've seen some beautiful pics of the area here and read some good things on the schools and communitites.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:22 PM

179 posts, read 858,560 times
In my mind the evacuees are the ones who CHOSE to evacute. The refugees are the ones who didn't and were forced to leave.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:30 PM

151 posts, read 641,261 times
Per the above definition from the dictionary, a refugee is a person who flees to a foreign country or power to escape danger or persecution. Therefore, anyone who left N.O. and moved to Houston or any other part of the United States clearly can not be defined as a refugee.

You wanna see a refugee?? Move to Metro Detroit and live in a city like Warren, Roseville, etc where true REFUGEES are fleeing Iraq and Afghanistan (sp?) for the United States.

Given the strong likelihood that a hurricane could force many Houstonians out of their homes, I would think that you all would empathize with those affected by Hurricane Katrina.

Come on people, think about about what you're really saying and who you're judging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston