Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2007, 12:10 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Could you move a little further out, like, say, Vidor?

I do think he was just making a (very true) observation... I don't think there's any need for the thought police to intervene.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:19 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Some observations:

I saw two Confederate flags in front of a house across from Genoa Elementary school. I saw a bumper sticker that says Bush sucks. People here are fat. I had to keep the fan on all night last night -- in the winter. Quality of houses can vary greatly from street to street. I saw some lovely houses on big lots in a very quiet neighborhood right behind a commercial establishment called Oriental Bathhouse.
dude, visit the Space Center already! while youre out there can you figure out the watersports scene down at Clearlake?

Old 12-10-2007, 02:19 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Some observations:

I saw two Confederate flags in front of a house across from Genoa Elementary school. I saw a bumper sticker that says Bush sucks. People here are fat. I had to keep the fan on all night last night -- in the winter. Quality of houses can vary greatly from street to street. I saw some lovely houses on big lots in a very quiet neighborhood right behind a commercial establishment called Oriental Bathhouse.
Ahh... sounds like home!

LOL

I'm loving these observations! They are great, reports from the frontlines. LOL We should spin davidt1 off his own thread and call it "Stranger in a Strange Land" or "A Lost Angeleno in Texas" or "Lost in Space City"... oh, the possibilities...

Old 12-10-2007, 05:29 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
I just joined 24 Hour Fitness. Paid $600 for a three-year program with a $30 annual renewal fee after the initial three years. That's $100 less than their web-advertised price. I initially wanted to stay with Bally Total Fitness, but 24 Hour Fitness has more gyms around my area. Luckily, the gym closest to me has a swimming pool and a whirlpool. Judging by how quickly they signed me up, they might have taken a lower price. If you are thinking about signing up with them, offer far less than what they ask for and you might get it.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:49 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I do think he was just making a (very true) observation... I don't think there's any need for the thought police to intervene.
Actually, the observation wasn't "very true" at all. He called Houston fat.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:18 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Houston is fat. Come on, 600 square miles? I think with some exercise the city could shed a few pounds. We don't need Kingwood anyway.

As for the thought police, that's one badge I don't wear, but I was simply making a statement in response to a statement.

If you want to only be around people who look like you, get out of this city. Get out of any large city. This is 2007, and this is an integrated society.

Well, mostly.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:

Sorry, I should've been more clear.

The observation I mentioned was his comment on the demographics of the Baybrook mall vs. Almeda mall.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Houston is fat. Come on, 600 square miles? I think with some exercise the city could shed a few pounds. We don't need Kingwood anyway.

As for the thought police, that's one badge I don't wear, but I was simply making a statement in response to a statement.

If you want to only be around people who look like you, get out of this city. Get out of any large city. This is 2007, and this is an integrated society.

Well, mostly.
He said the people here are fat. Which isn't true.

I like that Kingwood is city limits now. Someone can live there without having to say they "fled to the suburbs."

Old 12-11-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
He said the people here are fat. Which isn't true.

I like that Kingwood is city limits now. Someone can live there without having to say they "fled to the suburbs."
Inner loopers who tell us curious life-long natives to "explore".... you know, the ones who have lived here only a few years... some of them say nearly insulting things like "Kingwood isn't really Houston" or "Clear Lake is just barely Houston." Last time I checked property taxes, mailing addresses, police/fire depts, etc... they are 100% Houston, just the suburban variety. That said, Kingwood (and Clear Lake) are suburbs the same way Brentwood and Bel-Air are. Except ours are the slightly-blemished, poor-man versions.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Inner loopers who tell us curious life-long natives to "explore".... you know, the ones who have lived here only a few years... some of them say nearly insulting things like "Kingwood isn't really Houston" or "Clear Lake is just barely Houston." Last time I checked property taxes, mailing addresses, police/fire depts, etc... they are 100% Houston, just the suburban variety. That said, Kingwood (and Clear Lake) are suburbs the same way Brentwood and Bel-Air are. Except ours are the slightly-blemished, poor-man versions.
Technically, they are not suburbs because they are in the city. But it's safe to generally consider them as the suburbs (I don't, but most do). Expect that to change, though. Now that Clear Lake and Kingwood have been annexed, that gives Houston more room for development, and as Greater Houston grows outward these two neighborhoods will be considered Houston more and more. Soon, they won't be a suburbs any more than the once suburban Brooklyn is to New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston