Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 04:31 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times

Advertisements

Yes, you do need a Houston address - we have a rental since my husband has been there since mid Dec. Although, there is an out of district application or process - that is tuition-based...not sure of all the details since we dived in and got a rental right away.

I'll keep you posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 07:17 PM

18 posts, read 113,150 times
Pepper how was your trip to Houston? How did the testing go and search for homes?

Old 01-28-2008, 11:15 AM

The testing went fine, but I feel that I'm back to square one because I was not thrilled with Carnegie for my 14 yr old. I must be missing something about Carnegie, but my impression is that if this is the TAG school for Houston, Houston is in trouble...it had a bad vibe.

The elementary school that we tested at was Oak Forest - a cute school with all that you'd want in a school. Great playground, class gardens, nice library. I didn't get into the classrooms; only the kids went in there, but I liked the school and the teachers. Most of the parents seemed to be affluent parents who were having their kids tested. I would be very comfortable with my 4 yr old going to school here. I wish I had time to drive by the other elementaries on my list, but ran out of time.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:17 PM

Oh wow (regarding Carnegie). Well, at least you liked one of the schools.
We're planning a trip to go to Houston soon. I am at a point now where I'm becoming anxious to see the schools and neighborhoods. Barbara Bush isn't magnet, but from it's website it looks like a really neat school.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 8,531 times
Default Bilingual preschools in Houston

DFWgal,
Let me know what you figured out! I'm in the same boat, moving from Tulsa where my kids go to a bilingual preschool and unable to find one in Houston. I've looked at the Spanish Schoolhouse site and am contemplating opening a school inside the loop, I'm a Spanish teacher myself, and so desperate to keep my kids in bilingual ed. FYI, Helms elementary has a dual-immersion Mommy and Me program a couple of times a week...

Old 03-15-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKprofe View Post
DFWgal,
Let me know what you figured out! I'm in the same boat, moving from Tulsa where my kids go to a bilingual preschool and unable to find one in Houston. I've looked at the Spanish Schoolhouse site and am contemplating opening a school inside the loop, I'm a Spanish teacher myself, and so desperate to keep my kids in bilingual ed. FYI, Helms elementary has a dual-immersion Mommy and Me program a couple of times a week...
Hi OKprofe,

Just this past Thursday we found out that we don't have to move!!! I am extremely happy and will keep my children's school schedule the same. The Director at the Spanish Schoolhouse informed me that they are looking into opening up a Spanish Schoolhouse in The Woodlands by 2009.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:27 PM

Pepper131,

How is your move going? We found out this past week that we don't have to move.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:47 PM

Lucky you!
I don't know what's happening yet. I don't mind my husband commuting to Houston from Dallas on the weekdays...kinda makes things easier around here. But my DH likes his job and his apt is in a good location for his commute and cycling in his off hours.
Still waiting to what schools we've been accepted to/rejected from. We won't know the whole picture until the end of April.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:59 PM

It's really not a bad commute. We are actually in Houston now for Spring Break. I am so happy and feel a load has been lifted.

Good luck to you and your family. I know things will work out fine -whether you're in Dallas or Houston.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:55 AM

2 posts, read 8,531 times
Default Spanish Immersion school/ Helms and Wharton

We are going to live close to Rice University, so the Woodlands is WAY out. I'd be driving at least an hour just to get there, although it may be worth it!

We are now playing the waiting game to see if my 5 year old got into either Wharton or Helms. I guess they'll let us know sometime today or Monday (its their deadline...) Does anyone have any experience with those two schools? Our neighborhood school is West U Elementary, and my husband is getting a lot of, lets say friendly advise, from his coworkers to just enroll him there. Also, will they grandfather in my younger child if my older one gets in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston