Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 01:12 PM

203 posts, read 253,580 times

Advertisements

To the OP - What is the point of this post ? Should this not be posted in the General Forum / General Moving Issues or Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness or Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal sub-forum ??? (jk).

But seriously, rather than taking up space, I don't see how this post is informative. It's just a venting thread for everyone. I think this post should be closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 01:16 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notkim View Post
To the OP - What is the point of this post ? Should this not be posted in the General Forum / General Moving Issues or Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness or Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal sub-forum ??? (jk).

But seriously, rather than taking up space, I don't see how this post is informative. It's just a venting thread for everyone. I think this post should be closed.
I put it here because it specifically has to do with Houston, I follow the rest of the TX forum and don't see people asking these questions as often about other cities. It's also based on the fact that Houston is one of the most diverse cities in the US.

Instead of just moving on you'd rather see this post closed? I wonder why that is...

Old 01-07-2016, 01:34 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
TheMoreYouKnow -
I've been looking for one of those pesky posts that you're complaining about and still can't seem to find any at all. Will you please post a link to one of them?

Old 01-07-2016, 01:54 PM

203 posts, read 253,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I put it here because it specifically has to do with Houston, I follow the rest of the TX forum and don't see people asking these questions as often about other cities. It's also based on the fact that Houston is one of the most diverse cities in the US.

Instead of just moving on you'd rather see this post closed? I wonder why that is...

Ok, makes sense. I don't follow the whole TX forum; just Houston and Dallas. Was not aware that people ask these questions only in Houston forum.

I usually do not make such remarks, but I am disappointed of clicking on a thread with a nice title like your's; hoping to get information and educate myself about a city and then finding a useless posts (to me).

Point taken....... I'm moving on....

Old 01-07-2016, 02:45 PM

1,011 posts, read 976,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoolbro View Post
Well Yuppies tend to live near other yuppies, blue collar tend to live near blue collar, white collar tend to live near white collar. People tend to desire to live near people like them. That's been the case since the beginning of time. Now that doesn't mean a person from blue collar Texas City can't enjoy a nice restaurant in yuppie Montrose from time to time. People like having options and being able to say they live in a diverse city even if they don't live in a very diverse community.
Agree. I don't think it's that difficult to understand--well, maybe for some of us.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:34 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Agree. I don't think it's that difficult to understand--well, maybe for some of us.
Separate but equal isn't hard to understand, it's just hard to justify... for me at least it is.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:54 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
So just to be clear, you're ok with someone who openly wants to live in a neighborhood among a population that's similar ethnically or culturally? You're ok with someone wanting to live around people of "their own kind"?
Sure, why not? As long as there's nothing like zoning or deed restrictions that try to forcibly exclude others on the basis of culture, ethnicity, religion etc. You're free to seek a homogeneous neighborhood, not free to preserve it.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:40 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm Venezuelan and I like cultural diversity because that's what I saw growing up in Caracas.
That makes Houston very appealing to me.

There's also a lot of venezuelans in Houston, that also makes it appealing to me since I have lived in the US 20 years and I rarely visit my family. But now I have the opportunity to hang out with venezuelans mainly to practice my venezuelan Spanish (If I use slang here, nobody will understand me), make traditional christmas food, etc, etc.

Do you see now how is possible to want to have both and is not a contradiction?
Underrated post. Good comment here. You can enjoy both sides.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:47 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,103 times
Diversity implies a lot of kinds, which means you're more likely to find what you're after, whether what your're after is diversity itself or something more specific. It's not a contradiction.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:55 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Maybe Houston has the various types of populations, that bring diversity to a city. However it doesn't have the mindsets that translate the same way. I don't know, but maybe that is why these people spoken about in this tread, reach out to their own kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston