Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 08:28 AM

79 posts, read 108,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
Houston is in Harris County. Why should it be avoided? I have lived in Harris county most of my life and I find it very nice. If you are moving to Houston most likely you will live in Harris county.

Is Sugar Land and Pearland considered Harris County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 08:33 AM

Oh, I see. Sugar Land and Pearland are definitely the suburbs. Does anyone have any insights on some good suburban areas? Friendswood, Katy, Sugar Land, Pearland, Spring, League City? What are the commutes like from these areas and I'm assuming that $1,400 / mo. can go much further in your suburbs, right? Are these areas currently suffering from the floods?

Last edited by Denise82; 06-02-2016 at 08:45 AM..

Old 06-02-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Houston is within Harris County, as are the very small "villages" you mentioned. Harris County unincorporated area would be among the largest cities in the USA were it incorporated. IIRC, the 6th largest. It will be hard to avoid.

The areas you mention are high dollar and do not meet your budget. The commute would be a breeze.

The taxing agencies make up for the no state income tax with property and sales taxes.

Get a job before you move.

I will definitely be getting a job first, LOL. How about Missouri City? From what I can see on Texas Real Estate - 161,444 Homes for Sale and Rent- HAR.com, there seems to be lots of single family detached homes between $1,200 - $1,400. I'm seeing a lot in that range for Katy, Sugar Land, and League City too.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:45 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
Commute is far. The only public transportation will be the Park and Ride bus to downtown so focus on an area near one of those. Its usually 45 minutes to an hour each way from the suburbs barring an accident or bad weather which can add another 30 minutes to an hour on top.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Commute is far. The only public transportation will be the Park and Ride bus to downtown so focus on an area near one of those. Its usually 45 minutes to an hour each way from the suburbs barring an accident or bad weather which can add another 30 minutes to an hour on top.
Ok, thanks! That would actually be an improvement over Chicago. I park and ride from the city and it still takes me an hour to get to work, LOL. It takes about an hour 20 minutes driving. But my husband and I are willing to trade longer commute times for more safety, so that won't be a deal breaker. I just have to find the Park and Ride stations and try to stay close to those I suppose.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:16 PM

What suburbs do I need to focus on to avoid all the flooding that happens? Also, which suburbs get hit with tornadoes?

Old 06-07-2016, 12:22 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise82 View Post
What suburbs do I need to focus on to avoid all the flooding that happens? Also, which suburbs get hit with tornadoes?
Tornadoes are much less common in the Houston area (though hardly unknown) than in DFW. Basically do not let them factor in your decision. They can occur in any part of the region, including along the bay.

Flood risk is also pretty widespread. Consult flood risk maps for this. That said, I've never heard of serious flooding problems in south Katy, at least not flooding in homes. Streets can flood anywhere after one of our infamous rainstorms. I've also never of heard of flooding in Pearland. Much of Sugar Land is behind levees, so you'd hope it was safe.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:52 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,968 times
There are flood maps you can find on the web. Find a house you like, then CHECK THE FLOOD MAPS. This goes for any area of Houston. Things vary sometimes block to block. Get in the 100- or 500- year floodplain. Your flood insurance bill will be the first thing that thanks you. Your house and car, when it rains, will be the next things.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:39 AM

1 posts, read 602 times
Denise, I live in Missouri City, in a master planned community (we are big on those here) called Sienna Plantation. I've lived in this area since 2007 when I moved here I had family living in the area so I gravitated to this area. If you look at the map of Houston, you'll notice two rings and seemingly a third that's slowly getting connected. The rings are 610 and Beltway 8 ( the other 99/Grand Parkway) We call 610 "the loop" and is home to the most expensive real estate here. Places like West U, River Oaks, Bellaire, etc are expensive. Everyone wants to live there because it's convenient and close to everything. I work in healthcare so I spend a lot of my time driving to hospitals in Katy off I-10 and Memorial City. From my house depending on the time of day I can make it to either of those places in 45 minutes. If you're going to be working downtown, you have options for park and ride. Sugarland & Missouri City are my main stomping grounds when I'm not working so I'm somewhat biased. I typically don't have to go into Houston for very much because we have schools, shopping, and entertainment here. Of course concerts, museums, and other cultural activities require a drive into Houston proper. As far as which area to live in, I'll tell you like another surgeon told me as was told to him over 30 years ago. Draw a line vertically through the center of Houston and stay on the west side and you'll be alright!

Old 08-04-2016, 06:11 AM

277 posts, read 304,906 times
Areas I would love having been here a whole week and with your list...Sienna Plantation (awesome for kids!) levees protected them from much water issues, Sugar Creek area in SugarLand, Meyerland near Bellaire. These are all beautiful areas! Sugar Land you just have more lights to deal with...but probably more options for park/ride stuff. We live in a corporate relo in Houston Heights just 2 miles from downtown, love it!! If your jobs will always be downtown, I would seriously look around here but price could be high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston