Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 06:00 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times

Advertisements

Well I presume this will remain a pipe dream.

Houston does well in being a good business city, but doesn't really provide amenities for its citizens like this.

So people go there for the money and leave when the money dries up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 08:36 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default We have springs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Well first, you're gonna need a spring. We're sort of shy of those.
This is not true at all; what many people are unaware of is that there are many natural springs that feed Buffalo Bayou, some close to downtown. You just don't see them percolating up from the ground, but they are there, many of them on not just Buffalo Bayou, but also on White Oak Bayou. Now tapping into them and redirecting the water is another matter.

I think it would be expensive, and perhaps difficult to pull it off, but I give kudos to the people who came up with the idea, at least they have a vision. Just imagine if our forefathers had no ambition, or vision. All the technology, construction... NASA, Hoover Dam, etc.

Vision without action is just a dream. -Joel Barker

Old 09-21-2016, 07:30 AM

Inphosphere,

I guess you got your answer. Most people feel like this would be a waste. Maybe adding lanes to freeways would be a better use of the money...

Old 09-21-2016, 08:47 AM

3,158 posts, read 2,053,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Oh how it must have been in the mid 60's when Houston had vision, creating the first air conditioned domed stadium in the world. As a symbol of Houston's vision, that building is now decaying. It could be an indoor ski slope or some other cool attraction.

Glad I live in Austin where we have natural swimming holes. Sorry your natural topography didn't offer that...
Aint it the truth. I hear all of these stories about the glory days when Houston was on the cutting edge of everything. Now its turned into a city full of reactionaries.

All of the visionaries seem to have moved on to Austin and Dallas, and its sad.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:41 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Aint it the truth. I hear all of these stories about the glory days when Houston was on the cutting edge of everything. Now its turned into a city full of reactionaries.

So start a trust, and get the massive support moving for this "obviously great" idea. What's your opening donation to the fund again?

Old 09-21-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post

The Houston Symphony, Opera, Museums, Zoo, & even Hermann Park were started by early philanthropists that had acquired much oil money but wanted to make Houston the "New York of the South".

Nowadays the citizens of Houston just want to make their money and run. Too bad Houston doesn't have some of the old blood that actually made Houston the great city it is today. All the cultural institutions were due to these people.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:28 AM

23,982 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Go back to the olden days with me.

There was a place on the river where all the people who were not at the country club used to go. It was large. Families took a picnic and spent the day in the river. There was a building with an outdoor stage where you could get lunch or a beer. There was good live music all weekend. ???Gardens was the name.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:47 AM

Default River?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Go back to the olden days with me.

There was a place on the river where all the people who were not at the country club used to go. It was large. Families took a picnic and spent the day in the river. There was a building with an outdoor stage where you could get lunch or a beer. There was good live music all weekend. ???Gardens was the name.
Which river? You're not talking about Bavarian Gardens on Feagan? Or used to be on Feagan. It was also known as the Black Forest. No river though, but close to Buffalo Bayou.

There is another place, Woodland Park. A few years I put in an offer on a house on Houston Avenue that was right across the street from the park. When I did research on the area, I learned about the park. The park was larger, and had a lake which was created by daming up Little White Oak Bayou, which was spring fed at the time.

About the house, my offer was accepted, but at the same time, I found a house in Montrose which was closer to the office, so I rescinded my offer, and got my deposit back, fortunately.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 09-22-2016 at 08:01 AM..

Old 09-22-2016, 07:58 AM

23,982 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Which river? You're not talking about Bavarian Gardens on Feagan? Or used to be on Feagan. It was also known as the Black Forest. No river though, but close to Buffalo Bayou.
No, I know that place.

This was a huge place for outside stuff. Such as a swimming hole. People also took boats but they were well away from swimmers. It was not a long drive like going to Galveston.

Probably like has been said, the river water is so dirty and chemical filled a place like this is no longer possible.

There were picnic tables where groups stayed all day long.

One of the oil companies also had a swimming hole, picnic, golf course up by Lake Houston.

Perhaps that old Houston guy at the Chronicle has a story.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:06 AM

Default Cleaner water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
No, I know that place.

This was a huge place for outside stuff. Such as a swimming hole. People also took boats but they were well away from swimmers. It was not a long drive like going to Galveston.

Probably like has been said, the river water is so dirty and chemical filled a place like this is no longer possible.

There were picnic tables where groups stayed all day long.

One of the oil companies also had a swimming hole, picnic, golf course up by Lake Houston.

Perhaps that old Houston guy at the Chronicle has a story.
Places such as these were probably okay a long time ago, but since the state started allowing grey water discharged back into the bayous and such, I would not want to swim in lake of "filtered" human waste!

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 09-22-2016 at 08:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston