Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 08:21 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphosphere View Post
As of latest, they already have a proposed site, as per panel report. Plus, they still have well over their minimum for money contributed from their Kickstarter.
Where is this proposed site?

Also, Source?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 09:35 AM

163 posts, read 165,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Where is this proposed site?

Also, Source?

Old 09-25-2016, 11:31 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
The dreams came to die... but instead they survived, and ascended into reality.

The point was to show that these types of idea makers exist in this city; people like those need to come up to the forefront if they feel they can benefit the common good of the city, effectively.
Agree 100%!

Old 09-25-2016, 04:22 PM

439 posts, read 437,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBeachBum View Post
It has one, it's called "Galveston" take 45 south.
When I'd go to Galveston as a kid, I noticed that my sores would heal after a day of swimming. Now the opposite seems to be the case. Indeed, fear of catching a flesh eating disease often brings warnings against swimming.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:08 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Cities like Dubai are the new visionary cities.
Spoken like someone who has never been to Dubai. If that's your ideal, you must love Blade Runner...

Old 09-26-2016, 11:34 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Spoken like someone who has never been to Dubai. If that's your ideal, you must love Blade Runner...
You are correct but some of their ideas are pretty great. I really like those palm islands in the Persian Gulf for instance. Of course, a desert doesn't have to worry about hurricanes or typhoons so they can do something like that and we can't.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:39 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
The dreams came to die... but instead they survived, and ascended into reality.

The point was to show that these types of idea makers exist in this city; people like those need to come up to the forefront if they feel they can benefit the common good of the city, effectively.
Define common good, please.

Have you ever lived in a town where there was a piece of controversial public art? I have. The ME fighting looks calm compared to public sculpture.

Although it can be fun. St Louis installed some giant black and rust rectangles on a very public street. Every night a different group "dressed it up" The best was magnetic dots that turned the sculpture into dominoes.

Stanley Marcus suggested instead, they should install gardens. Nobody got upset with flowers.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:56 AM

163 posts, read 165,531 times
Quote:
You are correct but some of their ideas are pretty great. I really like those palm islands in the Persian Gulf for instance. Of course, a desert doesn't have to worry about hurricanes or typhoons so they can do something like that and we can't.
Deserts do get hurricanes if the oceans allow for it (i.e Baja California).

Hurricanes can be built for, as the existence of Miami shows.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:20 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
There has been quite a bit of criticism from environmental groups saying it's screwing up the marine ecosystem over there.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:33 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,036 times
Quote:

Well...I guess it was a great idea, before the islands starting sinking into the sea and the navigation channels between the sinking islands began silting up.

And then there was that problem where property values in Dubai were cut in half by the worldwide recession precipitated by the 2008 financial crisis. Ghastly business, that.

The World is sinking: Dubai islands 'falling into the sea' - Telegraph

As you can see...part of being "visionary" is knowing when an idea really stinks before committing the capital in an effort to bring said seriously crappy idea to fruition.

Kinda like they didn't do in Dubai, at least in the case of The Islands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston