Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 11:43 AM

254 posts, read 191,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
No you stopped because I wouldn't let you hijack the thread for your piddely stream of conscience rantings.

Yawnnnnnn! asked and answered several times in this thread.
How can I highjack my own thread? Now you are attempting to confuse me by spraining my brain. Look, even though I am a northener from Dallas, I have never thought poorly of you southerners way down there in Houston. I am different. I've always believed that, in due time, you guys would develop enough to be trusted with self rule.

Lighten up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 11:49 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,421,244 times
Oh, and I think someone commented earlier here about new CEO's often being motivated to move offices around, often to where they live or come from.

I read that the BP Division CEO for Lower 48 grew up in Lakewood, CO and attended Colorado School of Mines. BP seems to have defensible, rational reasons for this move ... but it doesn't hurt that the top guy is from Denver, either. :-)

Old 12-16-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
Jeez, this has been a lively thread! If the OP wanted to incite a flurry of responses in a short time, he sure succeeded.

BP's official announcement just said that it wanted its Lower 48 division to be closer to its “substantial operating asset position in the Rocky Mountain region and an important energy hub of the future”. Not that Denver would replace Houston in the role it has now as an (or the) worldwide energy hub.

I will add that BP has said that "a number of employees" will be moved from Houston to Denver as part of the initial 200-person office there. They didn't say how many of the 200 would come from Houston, where they currently have about 5000. BP's CEO also said that “Houston will remain a large and important center for our business, and we have no plans to change that".
I've been through this before during the last bust of the eighties. A whole new market was created back then. The same is true now. Pertaining to any recovery, I'm not focusing on the price of oil which is a false indicator, but trying to envision what will be the new market. I'm going to go ahead and call it. If our nation continues on a path away from being a major importer of energy to that of a major exporter of it, the numerous major energy companies in Houston are going to start dissolving by relocating to other interior energy headquarters.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Is one division of one company .... stop talking about Armageddon
My company has so many divisions in Houston that it would take me all day long to drive to all of them just ringing the bell on their door.
Houston back during yesterday's market was geared for the exportation into our nation of most of our energy needs. In the new market of today which is transitioning our nation over into a major exporter, surely the major companies are going to have to rearrange their eternal structures. This will have to happen first before a recovery happens. I think this is undeniable. Things aren't going to be the same again. The relocation of Devon away from Houston is one thing. Having a major energy company dissolve itself of a division is another.

I think this action by BP is just the beginning of what will be other similar moves made by other companies. To believe otherwise is to think we are just going through another 2008 and that this latest bust is just another similar hiccup.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:01 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,754 times
Isn't this just a thread by a Dallas CD-Forumer trying to make Houston look bad? Six pages later, that's what it seems to add up to. How about we talk about companies leaving Dallas with 200 people and going elsewhere, and make a big dumb fuss about that? It's still pretty trivial in the big picture.

Adios to whatever companies want to move on down the road. The grass isn't always greener elsewhere. Companies do dumb relocations just as people sometimes do.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:12 PM

3,163 posts, read 2,053,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
Isn't this just a thread by a Dallas CD-Forumer trying to make Houston look bad? Six pages later, that's what it seems to add up to. How about we talk about companies leaving Dallas with 200 people and going elsewhere, and make a big dumb fuss about that? It's still pretty trivial in the big picture.

Adios to whatever companies want to move on down the road. The grass isn't always greener elsewhere. Companies do dumb relocations just as people sometimes do.
Pretty much. Just like the thread comparing and contrasting retail, it's basically just pointless drivel by a poster with an agenda. Nothing really to see here.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:15 PM

226 posts, read 306,717 times
Change your post-per-page setting. This is only Page 2 for me.

2 cents. This isn't changing any of the Houston energy landscape. Majors, services and affilates have all been consolidating and cost-cutting the past 2-3 years. Let me think, moving some employees who support a certain region and travel (cost $$$) from Houston to Denver more times than none, to said region to save $. Yea, TOTALLY means BP is moving the mother ship and starting an energy trend away from Houston and not just implementing another cost cutting measure. Please. Give me a break.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post

I am not attacking this room for cripes sake. As I stated clearly, I was sitting innocent like the other morning about to take a sip from my cup of coffee when a newscaster commented that BP was planning on relocating its headquarters to the next global Energy headquarters of Denver. That is why I choked and dribbled coffee down the front of my shirt.

I'm an innocent victim.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:37 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas retail updater View Post
I think you're right. The newscaster was probably being dramatic. Like I said, any transition of resources away from Houston, if that is the case, will take a number of years.

The long term concern is that, in gearing up for our nation's transition from being an importer of energy to that of an exporter of it, that a lot of energy business will decentralize away from Houston.
You're right, they'll start to centralize in cities near huge ports capable of handling oil and other petrochemical exportation. Now where might that be?

Old 12-16-2016, 04:41 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
What station was it ?

The exporting of oil is only going to be feasible in certain situations, I doubt we will be producing over 18 million bbls of oil a day anytime soon.

Oil companies move around all the time. Occidental moved from LA to Houston a couple of years ago, American midstream Partners moved from Denver to Houston just this last summer http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/n...o-houston.html Devon moved all their operations from Houston to OKC back in 2012 and took 500 jobs with them and that obviously had no impact on how people perceive Houston's position in the energy sector. Devon Energy relocating to Oklahoma City, taking 500 Houston-area jobs with it | abc13.com So just chill with the sensational and inflammatory rhetoric OK?
Devon was already headquartered in OKC. The move above was the employees they got when they acquired SantaFeSnyder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston