Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 05:08 PM

254 posts, read 191,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
You're right, they'll start to centralize in cities near huge ports capable of handling oil and other petrochemical exportation. Now where might that be?
We are about to have driverless cars, so why not a portless global energy headquarters? Just ask Google to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 05:20 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times
Too often threads focus solely on the upstream side of the Oil and Gas business. Those refineries aren't going any where so that anchors part of the business. The Upstream and its service sector is well entrenched in Houston as well and not just the domestic and on shore Upstream side of the business, Dallas has a dab if the land based business too. ExxonMobil consolidated its D/S HQ into the new campus in Houston, moving from Fairfax VA where Mobil HQ was. This was a fairly major consolidation.

Remember the news staff major in things not too complex so forgive them if they get the facts off like this one apparently did. They didn't know their is a D/S side of the business too lol

Old 12-16-2016, 05:35 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,504,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Too often threads focus solely on the upstream side of the Oil and Gas business. Those refineries aren't going any where so that anchors part of the business. The Upstream and its service sector is well entrenched in Houston as well and not just the domestic and on shore Upstream side of the business, Dallas has a dab if the land based business too. ExxonMobil consolidated its D/S HQ into the new campus in Houston, moving from Fairfax VA where Mobil HQ was. This was a fairly major consolidation.

Remember the news staff major in things not too complex so forgive them if they get the facts off like this one apparently did. They didn't know their is a D/S side of the business too lol
The OP imo heard no such thing, he is making that part of the story up to sensationalize the thread. He has refused to identify the source of this alleged report after repeated request to do so. It's time to stop feeding his mischief, me included..

Last edited by Jack Lance; 12-16-2016 at 06:54 PM..

Old 12-16-2016, 05:50 PM

89 posts, read 79,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
You're right, they'll start to centralize in cities near huge ports capable of handling oil and other petrochemical exportation. Now where might that be?
Lol, agreed, take this menace to school please. These ridiculous Dallas Houston haters have gone insane hoping, literally praying to the devil that Houston will somehow fail. All that has gotten Dallas over the years is a fall to 3rd-largest city in Texas, and a fall to 9th-largest nationally.

Instead of trolling in the Houston threads about a minor BP move, they should be more concerned about Dallas, which is on the brink of bankruptcy, and the survival of their beloved Dallas-based cash-strapped financially crippled Neiman Marcus, which could go belly-up any moment if they don't find a buyer for that old dinosaur of a retailer.

Houston is the capital of OG/Energy. BP's move of 200 ppl out of 2.5million is negligible, at best. When it comes to OG/Energy, Houston is still king.

Houston selected as site for 2020 World Petroleum Congress

Houston selected as site for 2020 World Petroleum Congress

Last edited by BCLRRE; 12-16-2016 at 06:39 PM..

Old 12-16-2016, 06:58 PM

638 posts, read 569,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
The OP imo heard no such thing, he is making that part of the story up to sensationalize the thread. He has refused to identify the source of this alleged report after repeated request to do so. It's time to stop feeding his mischief, me included..
+1!

Old 12-16-2016, 09:30 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Ahhhhhhhhh, the sky is falling.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:49 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas retail updater View Post
I am not nor have I ever been a troll. I am not a t-word. Please quit trying to paint me into a corner as one and ruining this thread. Again, notice the thesis above that I submitted pertaining ti the topic.

If I owned an energy company and had you all on board as my advisors, I'd fire the lot of you. No, on second thought, I would e-mail you your ternmination papers.
and you respond just like him lol. I mean, if you know you aren't him, there was no need to respond like you did. But...

Old 12-16-2016, 10:02 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,398 times
As Mrs. Miteybad is currently employed by BP, and having that much connection to the company, I may be able to supply a bit of perspective.

BP currently employs rough 79,800 personnel worldwide. About 5,000 of those work in Houston, and out of that number, roughly 200 are going to Denver to establish an office for the L48 division. BP had an office in Denver some years ago (as have many oil companies), but it was closed during one of several corporate reorganizations.

BP's GOM operations, which absolutely dwarf any other segment of BP activity in the U.S., will remain in Houston, as will most U.S. corporate management operations. Most other BP regional offices will be unaffected.

Speculation: L48 is moving to Denver in order to facilitate the marketing and eventual sale of certain U.S. assets, possibly including, but not necessarily limited to BP's operations in the San Juan Basin. The most likely target of such marketing efforts? Other operators in the Rockies, most of whom also have some presence in Denver.

BP's troubles arising out the Macondo well disaster have left the company with the apparent need to unload non-core assets so as to raise cash and improve liquidity. It would appear that L48 has been designated as a candidate for sale, and some portion or all of its assets may be on the sale block in the near future.

Upshot: There is considerably less to this announcement than meets the eye.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:14 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas retail updater View Post
We are about to have driverless cars, so why not a portless global energy headquarters? Just ask Google to do it.
Sure, right after we finish the moon colonies

Old 12-16-2016, 11:19 PM

254 posts, read 191,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post

Indeed, no one is arguing that point. I was reading that the majors arrived late to the party regarding fracking. So, it is logical to assume that a lot of their resources are going to migrate elsewhere from Houston regarding that business. Just how many major energy centers are there in this nation other than Houston, Denver, Midland-Odessa, Fort Worth, New Orleans, and . . .?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston