Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2018, 08:00 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,040,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
This. I took my time and checked each Democratic box. I was tempted to hit straight and then see if it selected Cruz but I wanted to book it.

I voted in a conservative area and was relieved to have some minorities working the polls because it was me and a BUNCH of older white people like 60-80 year olds and a few 40+ and then there was brown, 30 something me. I was ready to leave if someone so much as looked at me wrong. I have no desire to fall victum to Voting Vickie and be viral with a tirade from her.

In the past, I have vote Democratic and Republican. But not this time. That orange pieces of made me say no.
You do understand that it's perfectly ok to be white right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 09:10 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,912,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
No one said it wasn't.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:49 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Quote:
What offended you this time?

Old 11-08-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
This. I took my time and checked each Democratic box. I was tempted to hit straight and then see if it selected Cruz but I wanted to book it.

I voted in a conservative area and was relieved to have some minorities working the polls because it was me and a BUNCH of older white people like 60-80 year olds and a few 40+ and then there was brown, 30 something me. I was ready to leave if someone so much as looked at me wrong. I have no desire to fall victum to Voting Vickie and be viral with a tirade from her.

In the past, I have vote Democratic and Republican. But not this time. That orange pieces of made me say no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What offended you this time?
Who said I was offended? I was simply commenting about what appears to be a statement which suggests that older white people are automatically 1) racist 2) conservative or 3) both. I make it a point not to stereotype people by race, I'm just wondering why it seems like some of you have an issue with older white folks when it comes to elections and voting.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:28 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Quote:
Who said I was offended? I was simply commenting about what appears to be a statement which suggests that older white people are automatically 1) racist 2) conservative or 3) both. I make it a point not to stereotype people by race, I'm just wondering why it seems like some of you have an issue with older white folks when it comes to elections and voting.
It'll take me too long time to explain ... but when you trip on a rock twice, you are careful not to trip the third time

Old 11-08-2018, 11:51 AM

3,164 posts, read 2,055,248 times
Quote:
It'll take me too long time to explain ... but when you trip on a rock twice, you are careful not to trip the third time
Yeah I'm done with arguing with the willfully obtuse. The OP has hit every lazy political talking point in the book, while doing nothing to educate himself about why diversity at the polling place might be desirable if your goal is to ensure a fair elections process.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
It wouldn't take you too long to explain, there's just no way you can explain it without coming off like a racist bigot so you're trying to use some old saying to make it seem acceptable. If a white person said they avoid contact with black men because "when you trip on a rock twice, you are careful not to trip the third time" you would instantly and rightfully call that a racist, bigoted statement. I'm a 40 something year old white guy and I have a young black son, if anyone said anything like that about him based on nothing but his skin color I would instantly suspect they were a racist.

My point was that it's ok to be white and a couple of you have done nothing but make it perfectly clear that you don't agree with that statement. Nothing you guys have said offended me, it disappointed me more than anything else. Coming from a group of people who claim to be more tolerant, more aware and more accepting of other people you've instead come off as a bunch of ignorant bigots. In Harris County there's a reasonable chance that those old white folks were Democrats, they do exist you know.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Yeah I'm done with arguing with the willfully obtuse. The OP has hit every lazy political talking point in the book, while doing nothing to educate himself about why diversity at the polling place might be desirable if your goal is to ensure a fair elections process.
Polling locations or precincts are nothing more than common locations for communities to vote, if you happen to live in a community or area that is mostly white then how exactly would you achieve a more diverse crowd at the polling place? The racial makeup of the people in your polling location at any given time has nothing to do with diversity or a fair election, it would vary constantly based on the time of day and who decided to vote at any given time. This notion that a line at the polls being mostly white is somehow a good or bad thing is one of the stupidest ideas I've heard in a very long time. There are some precincts in Harris County that are overwhelmingly black and/or Latino. Should we strive to make sure those voting lines are more diverse by somehow adding White people to them even though those communities have few White people in them?

Old 11-08-2018, 12:47 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,810,149 times
Quote:
It wouldn't take you too long to explain, there's just no way you can explain it without coming off like a racist bigot so you're trying to use some old saying to make it seem acceptable. If a white person said they avoid contact with black men because "when you trip on a rock twice, you are careful not to trip the third time" you would instantly and rightfully call that a racist, bigoted statement. I'm a 40 something year old white guy and I have a young black son, if anyone said anything like that about him based on nothing but his skin color I would instantly suspect they were a racist.

My point was that it's ok to be white and a couple of you have done nothing but make it perfectly clear that you don't agree with that statement. Nothing you guys have said offended me, it disappointed me more than anything else. Coming from a group of people who claim to be more tolerant, more aware and more accepting of other people you've instead come off as a bunch of ignorant bigots. In Harris County there's a reasonable chance that those old white folks were Democrats, they do exist you know.
Thumbed through your 12,604 posts that you've posted in 2.5 years. You come off as an angry 40 something year old white guy. I mean 99.9% of them are angry and combative (not exaggerating) and you've been that way consistently for 2.5 years. How else do you expect folks on this board to view you other than these posts?

Old 11-08-2018, 12:50 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,912,044 times
Quote:
I'm a 40 something year old white guy and I have a young black son, if anyone said anything like that about him based on nothing but his skin color I would instantly suspect they were a racist.
Proof that people don't seem to get what "racist" actually means . . .

You come off as a common, conservative stereotype if anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston