Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2018, 09:37 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times

Advertisements

DH makes the regulatory decisions for a major petro firm and I can tell you that the big companies are not celebrating reduced regulations. Rather, they are staying the course because one, it is the right thing to do, and two, they recognize that their liability remains down the road when the country comes to its senses. It's the mid to small size companies that are taking advantage of the lax regulation free-for-all environment, scurrying to make a quick buck at the expense of the environment and public health - and the taxpayers who ultimately will end up paying to clean up their messes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 09:41 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
DH makes the regulatory decisions for a major petro firm and I can tell you that the big companies are not celebrating reduced regulations. Rather, they are staying the course because one, it is the right thing to do, and two, they recognize that their liability remains down the road when the country comes to its senses. It's the mid to small size companies that are taking advantage of the lax regulation free-for-all environment, scurrying to make a quick buck at the expense of the environment and public health - and the taxpayers who ultimately will end up paying to clean up their messes.
Agree,
but short-sighted republicans are in favor of "quick buck, screw the future"

Old 11-07-2018, 10:12 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [I
astrohip[i];53575976]Sad to see Judge Emmett become a victim of the Hate Party. He was a terrific, hard-working politician, who embodied the best of an elected official. But the massive number of Harris County voters who are fed up with Hate, and voted straight Dem, was too much to overcome. So instead we have a 27 year old political novice taking the helm of one of the largest counties in the nation. I have no idea if she is up to the challenge, but wish her well.

And this is the end of any national aspirations Cruz might have had. He went from a 16 point victory in his first election, to barely squeaking by in this one. Bottom line: After six years, one million less people voted for him.

Nationally, he's dead.
Wow. One of the more surprising results from last night. He seemed to be one of the more level-headed, pragmatic, less- partisan politician. Surprising indeed, given the youth and inexperience of his opponent.

Was the result due to blind, straight ticket voting? Partisan anger? Opposition to specific policies? I’d hope it was due to informed choices based on policies, and not the others.

Interesting times for Harris County.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:27 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Wow. One of the more surprising results from last night. He seemed to be one of the more level-headed, pragmatic, less- partisan politician. Surprising indeed, given the youth and inexperience of his opponent.

Was the result due to blind, straight ticket voting? Partisan anger? Opposition to specific policies? I’d hope it was due to informed choices based on policies, and not the others.

I can only speak for myself, but while I have never straight ticket voted in the past, I did in this election, to send a clear signal to all Republicans that I don't like the hate, divisiveness, lies and racism coming from the top, and from other members of the party. If they're not speaking out against it, they're complicit. And for that, I voted against Emmett. That's not blind, not anger, just an informed voter making a statement about what I see as un-American behavior from the Republican Party.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:39 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I can only speak for myself, but while I have never straight ticket voted in the past, I did in this election, to send a clear signal to all Republicans that I don't like the hate, divisiveness, lies and racism coming from the top, and from other members of the party. If they're not speaking out against it, they're complicit. And for that, I voted against Emmett. That's not blind, not anger, just an informed voter making a statement about what I see as un-American behavior from the Republican Party.
Well, as long as voters know it’s never good to cut off one’s nose to spite one’s face.

Unlike national votes against the general Republican Party, this one is local, with greater impact on those who live here in Harris County.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:39 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
A former Texas Republican, I have never voted straight party ticket. I've attempted to educate myself on the candidates and their positions and experience would vote accordingly. Over the years I found myself choosing the Democrat candidate as more and more temperate Republicans abandoned all principles and decency in transforming into the current dangerous and undemocratic cult.

I did not vote straight party ticket this election either, but instead painstakingly marked the box next to every single Democrat candidate in every single race, which took some time on my absentee ballot. Yes I even purposely voted against Ed Emmett, who would have earned my vote again had only he repudiated the current Republican party. It was certainly no blind decision.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post

I already answered this on the previous page
Ed Emmett can only blame himself and stop trying to blame "liberal voting ignorance"

Spoiler
Houston voters reject a plan to save Astrodome - Nov. 2013
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ished/3452349/

After Texas voters on Tuesday rejected a referendum that would have authorized up to $217 million in bonds to turn the Astrodome into a giant convention and event center, the stadium is likely to be demolished.
"We can't allow the once-proud Astrodome to sit like a rusting ship in the middle of a parking lot. This was the best effort (to revamp the stadium), and voters have turned it down," Harris County Judge Ed Emmett said. Fifty-three percent voted against the referendum.
Emmett said a final decision on what happens to the Astrodome will be up to the commissioners court, the group of local officials who manage the county. But he said the stadium's future was pretty much sealed with the referendum's failure. He said a decision would have to be made quickly but didn't say exactly when that would happen.

$105 million Astrodome makeover approved by county commissioners - Feb. 2018
https://www.khou.com/article/news/lo.../285-518047861

The Astrodome is making a comeback and could be open for business again by 2020 after Harris County Commissioners unanimously approved a $105 million revitalization plan on Tuesday.
Emmett says the cost will be split evenly, with $35 million contributed from hotel occupancy taxes, parking revenue, and property tax revenue.
The county judge also says tearing the Dome down would also cost taxpayers $35 million, and maintaining the required upkeep on the paid-off, county-owned building currently costs $171,000 per year.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:12 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
I don't believe his 'Dome stand had anything to do with his loss. I never heard it mentioned even once by anyone on either side. In fact, until your post, I hadn't heard it brought up in months (years?).

He was caught up in the straight-ticket Dem voting landslide. Guarantee you 100%.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I don't believe his 'Dome stand had anything to do with his loss. I never heard it mentioned even once by anyone on either side. In fact, until your post, I hadn't heard it brought up in months (years?).

He was caught up in the straight-ticket Dem voting landslide. Guarantee you 100%.
When he won,
did he say he won "Because of republican straight ticket voting"?

Or he only pulls that BS when he loses?

Old 11-07-2018, 11:46 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
Ed Emmett lost because of straight Democrat tickets. It's the same reason that every single Republican judge lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston