Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2018, 12:59 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Sure it matters, chances are you came here for a job or general employment opportunities and it appears that you moved here in the last 15 years or less. You made the choice to make Houston your home when you're from LA. You moved here for the same reason most people move to Texas, because the economic outlook and employment outlook here in Texas are better than in California, enough that you would relocate your home 1200 miles to Houston.

The point is that you moved here and now you're voting for people who promise to enact the same politics and policies that caused you to leave California. You can deny it and give me some BS excuses but we all know it to be true. We get the exact same type of people from Washington, NY, DC and other liberal Democrat run states that forced them to leave for better pastures.

People who say "Don't California my Texas" aren't making it up and they aren't joking. We see what you people did in your home states and we fear that you'll do it here too. Your post above proves that we are right.
I took a job transfer to Dallas in 2010. My company was expanding and opened up an office there.
My wife and I wanted to buy a home which was harder to do in LA and my mother was already living in Waco. She went to Baylor so she had history there.

I didnt have to provide any of that information to you because were all Americans. We can move to any state for any reason that we wish. I hate to break it to you but there is no requirement that you have to vote for a specific party based on where you live. Im left of center, I dont care about guns, I dont care about religion, and Im a city dweller. I was that we in California, Im that way here. People dont have to change when they move to a new place.

At the end of the day, youre just going to have to get over it. People will continue to come here and people dont have to change to come here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 01:00 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post

It's not a binary either-or thing; California may be hamstrung by NIMBYs and regulations in certain aspects, but Texas likewise suffers from a lack of regulation (as we saw with Harvey).
This. California and Texas are both too far to the left and right respectively. Id love to see them both be more centrist.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:02 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
The guy didn't state his reason for leaving California. He could have moved for family reasons, or his employer transferred his job beyond his control (which could be for a reason other than the business environment of California), or he wanted a job in an industry concentrated in California.

It's not a binary either-or thing; California may be hamstrung by NIMBYs and regulations in certain aspects, but Texas likewise suffers from a lack of regulation (as we saw with Harvey).
Like I said, I'm sure they'll be some excuses to justify the move but the truth is pretty clear, over and over again. I know it's true because I moved here for the same reason, only I didn't get here and try to create the place I ran away from.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:09 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
Texas wasn't trying to pass dumb-a$$ bathroom laws when most of us moved here. Things change, for the better or the worse. It's ridiculous to suggest that we're supposed to not have opinions or vote in Texas because we weren't born here.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:11 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Sure it matters, chances are you came here for a job or general employment opportunities and it appears that you moved here in the last 15 years or less. You made the choice to make Houston your home when you're from LA. You moved here for the same reason most people move to Texas, because the economic outlook and employment outlook here in Texas are better than in California, enough that you would relocate your home 1200 miles to Houston.

The point is that you moved here and now you're voting for people who promise to enact the same politics and policies that caused you to leave California. You can deny it and give me some BS excuses but we all know it to be true. We get the exact same type of people from Washington, NY, DC and other liberal Democrat run states that forced them to leave for better pastures.

People who say "Don't California my Texas" aren't making it up and they aren't joking. We see what you people did in your home states and we fear that you'll do it here too. Your post above proves that we are right.
Total right-wing BS.

My family moved to Texas in the 1890s. Does that meet with your approval? And in my 40 years of voting, in presidential races, I've voted for the R more than the D.

BUT... I no longer can support the party of HATE. I get sick thinking of separating kids from their parents, no matter the reason. Because there is NO reason. Ever.

Accepting immigrants and asylum seekers is part of the fabric of America. Immigrants are the hardest working class of Americans, proven fact. They are also the most law-abiding, fact. Almost none of us would be here had someone not immigrated here. In my case, from Europe in the late 1800s.

But the party of hate wants to stop that.

I don't give a flying %&$# what your gender is, what your sexual orientation is, who you want to marry. But the party of hate wants to stop that.

There are many MANY aspects of the Dem platform I do not agree with. But I will vote Dem before I ever vote for the party of HATE again.

I really really miss the old GOP party, before they became the party of HATE.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I took a job transfer to Dallas in 2010. My company was expanding and opened up an office there.
My wife and I wanted to buy a home which was harder to do in LA and my mother was already living in Waco. She went to Baylor so she had history there.

I didnt have to provide any of that information to you because were all Americans. We can move to any state for any reason that we wish. I hate to break it to you but there is no requirement that you have to vote for a specific party based on where you live. Im left of center, I dont care about guns, I dont care about religion, and Im a city dweller. I was that we in California, Im that way here. People dont have to change when they move to a new place.

At the end of the day, youre just going to have to get over it. People will continue to come here and people dont have to change to come here.
I appreciate you confirming my theory and I agree 100%, you can move to any state you like for any reason you come up with. There's no requirement to vote a certain way or for a certain party, I didn't make my comment to persuade you to vote a certain way because I know that won't do any good.

I merely brought this up because it's a story we hear around here time after time, the problem is that it's rare for people to acknowledge that they're voting for the same policies that caused them to leave their old state. I do appreciate your honesty.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
No it doesn't, you paranoid sheep.

I'm a born and raised Texan and a lot of crap I see from overly "concerned" conservatives such as yourself is overblown and unnecessary. I would much rather see a centered, balanced, and unbiased government working for ALL, not just a select number of those who think alike.

You don't speak for all of us, so NO, it doesn't matter.
I never once said that Texas doesn't have it's share of home grown left winger loons, it's pretty clear that we do. I'd love to see a centered and balanced government that is unbiased and working for ALL CITIZENS of this country instead of giving preference to people who are here illegally... in that regard I speak for the majority of Texans.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Total right-wing BS.

My family moved to Texas in the 1890s. Does that meet with your approval? And in my 40 years of voting, in presidential races, I've voted for the R more than the D.

BUT... I no longer can support the party of HATE. I get sick thinking of separating kids from their parents, no matter the reason. Because there is NO reason. Ever.

Accepting immigrants and asylum seekers is part of the fabric of America. Immigrants are the hardest working class of Americans, proven fact. They are also the most law-abiding, fact. Almost none of us would be here had someone not immigrated here. In my case, from Europe in the late 1800s.

But the party of hate wants to stop that.

I don't give a flying %&$# what your gender is, what your sexual orientation is, who you want to marry. But the party of hate wants to stop that.

There are many MANY aspects of the Dem platform I do not agree with. But I will vote Dem before I ever vote for the party of HATE again.

I really really miss the old GOP party, before they became the party of HATE.
I agree with you on more than I disagree with but I'm not in the party of hate, I'm in the party of common sense and honesty compared to democrats these days. I don't care about homosexuality and I support gay marriage and adoption 100%.

I welcome legal immigrants and I agree that our nation benefits from them coming here. I don't welcome illegal immigrants, especially those who have learned to game our immigration system by claiming asylum when they arrive at our borders.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:22 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,583 times
Quote:
I never once said that Texas doesn't have it's share of home grown left winger loons, it's pretty clear that we do. I'd love to see a centered and balanced government that is unbiased and working for ALL CITIZENS of this country instead of giving preference to people who are here illegally... in that regard I speak for the majority of Texans.
You're delusional if you think the republican party is centered, balanced, and unbiased. It's simply not true.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
You're delusional if you think the republican party is centered, balanced, and unbiased. It's simply not true.
I don't, never claimed they were. You're delusional if you think any political party is centered or balanced, by design they aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston