Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Houston metro lockdown/shelter in place?
Yes 41 57.75%
No 30 42.25%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 07:19 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
I heard from people at work that in Italy they are blaming Chinese immigrants returning from Chinese New Year travels in China for spreading the virus there.
AFAIK the center of Chinese immigration of Italy is Prato in northern italy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 08:00 PM

2,005 posts, read 762,185 times
My only question is when and how do you decide to turn off this madness. The numbers are already relatively low for HC, and the state as a whole. Lina keeps talking about flattening the curve, the curve just isn’t that large to flatten.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:30 PM

123 posts, read 100,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post
My only question is when and how do you decide to turn off this madness. The numbers are already relatively low for HC, and the state as a whole. Lina keeps talking about flattening the curve, the curve just isn’t that large to flatten.
Because we barely have any tests available for our metro area, so of course there aren’t many confirmed cases

Old 03-24-2020, 08:39 PM

8,351 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidewolf1989 View Post
Because we barely have any tests available for our metro area, so of course there aren’t many confirmed cases
That statement is true for almost every metro area.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:46 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidewolf1989 View Post

You might not notice unconfirmed cases with mild symptoms but you would notice people coming to the hospital with severe flu-like symptoms and you would most definitely notice people dying. If it's true that so many more are infected but we just don't know then that inherently says this is just not that big of a deal. Because if it was, we would notice it, test or no test.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:45 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You might not notice unconfirmed cases with mild symptoms but you would notice people coming to the hospital with severe flu-like symptoms and you would most definitely notice people dying. If it's true that so many more are infected but we just don't know then that inherently says this is just not that big of a deal. Because if it was, we would notice it, test or no test.
Unless you can keep track of 6 million plus people in the metro area you wouldn't notice people going to the hospital. What are you on stand by at the hospitals anyway? Bottom line is this, Healthcare officials are begging for a shelter in place because their dealing with this directly more than any of us. When the healthcare system shuts down it'll become even more of a problem. Not just this virus but other illnesses that people routinely go to the hospital or their healthcare provider for.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:50 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,586,259 times
So now that SIP is in place, what's the difference.
Everyone that I know is being told by their employer that they are essential.

Sounds like the main thing is not to go eat out or gather in large venues which was already in place.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:01 AM

45 posts, read 32,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_guerrajr View Post

Sounds like the main thing is not to go eat out or gather in large venues which was already in place.
Exactly I am not quite sure understand about the purpose of SIP, my company remain open due to our customers in the 16 critical infrastructure, most of our customers are essential and most of our vendors are essential as well.
Almost all businesses are essential qualified.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:55 AM

4,381 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_guerrajr View Post

With Shelter in place or stay at home public and private gatherings are prohibited. No non-essential businesses can be open under no circumstances. People have to remember their we’re still non essential businesses operating before stay at home. Literally yesterday I saw a tattoo shop still open. Some barber shops we’re still open and some ppl were doing make shift salons out of their house. Before SIP they were just asking the public to not gather in large groups and things of that nature. If you don’t comply with orders you can be fined or spend a 180 days in jail. That’s the last resort for individuals unless they refuse to comply. That wasn’t enforced than and I can tell you some churches and venues were still allowing gatherings and events to go on when they asked the public to go out only when you need to. I know a photographer who was still asked to shoot a wedding next week with over 200 people coming. And the Bride still wants to proceed with the wedding.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:47 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,027,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I’m not downplaying the virus, but there is truth in the statement above. I wonder how clinics around the city are handling COVID-19 cases? My own healthcare provider sent out a text stating that normal appointments could continue and anyone with respiratory symptoms was being routed to a different facility with dedicated waiting rooms.

I took my parents this morning to their clinic for a non-respiratory issue. We were questioned at the door if we had any symptoms or exposure to anyone with symptoms and then we were allowed to enter the facility. They did not check our temperature. The facility was a “ghost town.” I think I saw 1 or 2 other patients at the facility. This is a major medical provider in the city of Houston. We were told by the nurse that doctors were setting up video appointments. Of course, this is a challenge for some elderly people so they were deciding on a case by case basis who could come in for a face-to-face visit, and some cases simply required F2F interaction.

I was not in favor of a shelter in place edict. For my family there is no change because we were already self-isolating. My job also enables me to WFH. If it keeps people with no common sense from gathering in large crowds then I guess it’s a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston