Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 08:38 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Don't people realize they were products of their times? The things that happened, they didn't know any better. It's the world they were born into. People back then weren't near as educated and sophisticated and cosmopolitan and worldly as the people are in 2020. It's not fair to judge people who lived over a hundred years ago based on the morals and values of today. People are not perfect. They are human beings. Human beings make mistakes. You can find racist stuff on just about any white American who lived before WW2. The further back in time you go, the more racist they get.

In the name of consistency, I'm really surprised these politicaly correct Snowflake types are not in favor of dynamiting Mt Rushmore because, afterall, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were slave owners. Lincoln said he didn't believe in slavery but he did not believe blacks were equal to whites; and I'm sure Teddy Roosevelt said or did something racist during his lifetime in the United States that is totally unacceptable by today's standards..
You lost me at "politically correct snowflake types." I'm not engaging in discussion with someone whose rhetorical skill are at that level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 12:14 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
You lost me at "politically correct snowflake types." I'm not engaging in discussion with someone whose rhetorical skill are at that level.
You're right, I didn't need to use that kind of language. I could have very well made my point without using that type of rhetoric. I probably shouldn't said what I said, but I did, and I can't really do anything about it now. It's not like I can grab the words and put them back in my mouth. But by you choosing "not to engage in discussion" because I used the "pcst" term is only an excuse and nothing more because you know that EVERYTHING I said was EXACTLY spot on and you know there is absolutely NOTHING you can say to dispute ANY of it. Your only defense is to deflect and the only thing you can think of to do is to make a conscious decision to take "offense" to the term "politically correct snowflake types" as if you're making the most admirable choice and taking the high road. Please. My thoughts to that is, you are overly sensitive to the term "Politically Correct Snowflake Types", as if it hits home. To that I say, if the shoe fits, wear it.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
You're right, I didn't need to use that kind of language. I could have very well made my point without using that type of rhetoric. I probably shouldn't said what I said, but I did, and I can't really do anything about it now. It's not like I can grab the words and put them back in my mouth. But by you choosing "not to engage in discussion" because I used the "pcst" term is only an excuse and nothing more because you know that EVERYTHING I said was EXACTLY spot on and you know there is absolutely NOTHING you can say to dispute ANY of it. Your only defense is to deflect and the only thing you can think of to do is to make a conscious decision to take "offense" to the term "politically correct snowflake types" as if you're making the most admirable choice and taking the high road. Please. My thoughts to that is, you are overly sensitive to the term "Politically Correct Snowflake Types", as if it hits home. To that I say, if the shoe fits, wear it.
1. "Politically correct" does not hit home because it is meaningless.
2. If you look at my posts here, and accept my assurances that they mirror my discussions and actions in real life, you will see that I am the farthest thing from a "snowflake." I don't know why that term is used, especially for people who actually stand up for what they believe in.

Weak sauce, round 2, from you.

Old 06-12-2020, 01:41 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default A joke...

Quote:
Our own President calls terrorists "very fine people" but 40% of the country supports him with enthusiasm. Selective outrage.
Houston-nomad, you mention selective outrage? How about selective context.

For those who care for truth, here is the full context of what the President said:

https://www.politifact.com/article/2...sides-remarks/

Old 06-12-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Houston-nomad, you mention selective outrage? How about selective context.

For those who care for truth, here is the full context of what the President said:

https://www.politifact.com/article/2...sides-remarks/
I don't find that context to change the meaning, I'm afraid.

Old 06-12-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
1. "Politically correct" does not hit home because it is meaningless.
2. If you look at my posts here, and accept my assurances that they mirror my discussions and actions in real life, you will see that I am the farthest thing from a "snowflake." I don't know why that term is used, especially for people who actually stand up for what they believe in.

Weak sauce, round 2, from you.
I'm sorry but unfortunately, I don't have time to skim thru your previous posts, as compelling as those reads may be.

What a very clever deflection to make the conversation about you instead of the issues I presented in the post that you took offense to.

You say you are the "farthest thing ftom a Snowflake" but what you are failing to realize is you are very much "engaging" in "politically correct Snowflake type" behavior by choosing NOT to "engage in discussion" because I used the term "politically correct snowflake types" a few posts back. That's at the very least demonstrating "Snowflakish" behavior, if not full blown "Snowflake Syndrome" which I don't know if there's a cure for that or not.

"Politicaly correct Snowflake types" are people who are self-centered, very controlling, overly sensitive, easily offended, overly dramatic and emotional. If any are in the room, they will have all the reasonable people in the room walking on egg shells because none of the reasonable people really wants to offend anybody or hurt anybody's feelings. That's not their intentions, but they are well aware that a "Snowflake" can have a complete and total melt down at anytime.

Old 06-12-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but unfortunately, I don't have time to skim thru your previous posts, as compelling as those reads may be.

What a very clever deflection to make the conversation about you instead of the issues I presented in the post that you took offense to.

You say you are the "farthest thing ftom a Snowflake" but what you are failing to realize is you are very much "engaging" in "politically correct Snowflake type" behavior by choosing NOT to "engage in discussion" because I used the term "politically correct snowflake types" a few posts back. That's at the very least demonstrating "Snowflakish" behavior, if not full blown "Snowflake Syndrome" which I don't know if there's a cure for that or not.

"Politicaly correct Snowflake types" are people who are self-centered, very controlling, overly sensitive, easily offended, overly dramatic and emotional. If any are in the room, they will have all the reasonable people in the room walking on egg shells because none of the reasonable people really wants to offend anybody or hurt anybody's feelings. That's not their intentions, but they are well aware that a "Snowflake" can have a complete and total melt down at anytime.
If you will present the issues you posted earlier in a way that doesn't resort to base insults, I'll be happy to engage with them. I have no reason to spar on the internet with someone intent to insult me. That's not being a snowflake, it's just choosing not to waste my time and energy on someone who's not even trying.

Old 06-12-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
If you will present the issues you posted earlier in a way that doesn't resort to base insults, I'll be happy to engage with them. I have no reason to spar on the internet with someone intent to insult me. That's not being a snowflake, it's just choosing not to waste my time and energy on someone who's not even trying.
Ok....I think I can do that. You'll see it the next post I make after this so be looking for it.

Old 06-12-2020, 02:24 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Meh...

Quote:
I don't find that context to change the meaning, I'm afraid.
Yeah, figures. If it does not fit the narrative, 'must not be important. Oh well, hopefully others can see it. This is not about Houston anymore, anyway.

Old 06-12-2020, 02:43 PM

Houston Nomad....this post # 38 was in response to Post #1 in this thread.

Quote:
Don't people realize they were products of their times? The things that happened, they didn't know any better. It's the world they were born into. People back then weren't near as educated and sophisticated and cosmopolitan and worldly as the people are in 2020. It's not fair to judge people who lived over a hundred years ago based on the morals and values of today. People are not perfect. They are human beings. Human beings make mistakes. You can find racist stuff on just about any white American who lived before WW2. The further back in time you go, the more racist they get.

In the name of consistency, I wonder if the people who are in favor of changing the names of streets and monuments and schools because the person they are named for was a racist when they were alive on Earth, why would they NOT also be in favor of dynamiting Mt Rushmore because, afterall, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were slave owners. Lincoln said he didn't believe in slavery but he did not believe blacks were equal to whites; and I'm sure Teddy Roosevelt said or did something racist during his lifetime in the United States that is totally unacceptable by today's standards..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston