Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 09:42 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,075,384 times

Advertisements

I disagree with the renaming of Lanier but agree w the others.

Anyway Wilson did do the diplomacy in the 1910s, so he was indeed racist, but not sure if it will be enough to remove the name from the school. Maybe in 20 years it'll be revisited?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
When TSU was founded it was the only public school in the area and they were supposed to be founded and funded as an African American University of Texas. It took off quicker than expected and they were beginning to make inroads with other minority groups and UH was quickly converted from public to private to stymie growth.
I'm aware desegregation did hurt black institutions, but it was for the best. TSU was formed from the Houston College for Negroes to try to stymie desegregation.

Last edited by Vicman; 06-10-2020 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 11:33 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,219,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I disagree with the renaming of Lanier but agree w the others.

Anyway Wilson did do the diplomacy in the 1910s, so he was indeed racist, but not sure if it will be enough to remove the name from the school. Maybe in 20 years it'll be revisited?

I'm aware desegregation did hurt black institutions, but it was for the best. TSU was formed from the Houston College for Negroes to try to stymie desegregation.
Hard to say for the best when it basically opened doors for others to prosper when folks just wanted equality. Look at all the public schools that got closed as a result also

Old 06-10-2020, 02:34 PM

242 posts, read 206,815 times
Almost every white person prior to the 1960's was racist. This is a poorly disguised excuse to erase white history and replace it with black mythology as revenge.

100 years from now, our great grandkids will learn that white people contributed nothing to society, or the advancement of western civilization, but instead we will be painted as oppressive parasites

Last edited by Swizzle Stick; 06-10-2020 at 02:43 PM..

Old 06-10-2020, 02:39 PM

242 posts, read 206,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
"Cleansing", wow. I guess we should just burn all the books, destroy all the statues, sack the museums too. Nothing to learn from history, folks. Just erase it.
This is what ISIS did to the Roman (oppressor) ruins at Palmyra, and what BLM is currently doing to relic statues in the Bristol, UK.

This is the first part of the big "ask" that's coming at the expense of anglo people in the name of social justice. Piece at a time, starting the grinding down of white privilege... then public apologies, then comes the asking of money in the form of reparations, then "defunding" police and redistributing the money to minority communities via corrupt programs, then the increased welfare state with ethnic quotas will follow. Like a frog slowly boiled.

Last edited by Swizzle Stick; 06-10-2020 at 02:51 PM..

Old 06-10-2020, 03:25 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,834 times
fascinating thread! We are moving into a home close to that school soon. I didn't know that about Wilson. There is a Woodrow Wilson blvd. in the Hollywood hills in LA. I've heard no talk about renaming it.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:28 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,035,989 times
Ah, the irrational fear of the "other". Some of yall are so insecure.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:46 PM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
There was a lot of anger over renaming Lanier, since Sidney Lanier wasn't a Confederate hero or big player in the Confederacy. A lot of that anger was driven by the awful manner in which Jolanda Jones, one of the more crappy politicians we have in the area, ramrodded the whole renaming thing through with little public input and lots of fake anguish.

I din't have any real heartburn over Davis, Lee, Johnston, or Jackson being renamed. Dowling was a little iffy, but renaming Reagan and Lanier was really annoying.

UH is not a private school. It is a public funded University.

What do you mean by forcing folks to attend schools they had no business attending?
Dick Dowling was an inspirational story. An Irish immigrant lead 50 soldiers to stop an invasion fleet of 5,000.

Of course, he WAS a Confederate and that was mainly what he was known for.

What the board didn't know is that Dowling was opened roughly the same time Montgomery Elementary, one of its feeders was opened, both were predominately white and Montgomery was named after a Black janitor who died helping students get out of Kolter (?think it was Kolter) elementary when a separated parent brought a bomb. Two inspirational stories.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:47 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,075,384 times
Dick Dowling would have been inspirational had he fought on the morally right side. He didn't.

There were "admirable" soldiers fighting for Nazi Germany. They fought on the wrong side and were punished (there are cases like John Rabe, who stopped massacres of Chinese in Nanjing, but other than him...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Dick Dowling was an inspirational story. An Irish immigrant lead 50 soldiers to stop an invasion fleet of 5,000.

Of course, he WAS a Confederate and that was mainly what he was known for.

What the board didn't know is that Dowling was opened roughly the same time Montgomery Elementary, one of its feeders was opened, both were predominately white and Montgomery was named after a Black janitor who died helping students get out of Kolter (?think it was Kolter) elementary when a separated parent brought a bomb. Two inspirational stories.

Robert E. Lee High School was renamed after Margaret Long Wisdom, a white lady https://wisdomhsnews.com/565/news/wh...t-long-wisdom/

There are times when it went too far, but only Sidney Lanier was the case in Houston.

The solution is to move forward with taking down Confederate names and monuments but stopping cases that are too far. 98% of the renames are justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzle Stick View Post
Almost every white person prior to the 1960's was racist. This is a poorly disguised excuse to erase white history and replace it with black mythology as revenge.

100 years from now, our great grandkids will learn that white people contributed nothing to society, or the advancement of western civilization, but instead we will be painted as oppressive parasites

Old 06-10-2020, 06:00 PM

50 posts, read 33,112 times
I went there for summer school when it was Wilson Elementary.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:31 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,055,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzle Stick View Post

Wow. I'm not sure why you're concerned about history being erased, when you clearly haven't read much of it anyway.

OK, but seriously. Let me reiterate a point I made earlier in the thread. Removing someone's name from a school does not erase history. Instead, it says, "We will not honor this person who caused pain and suffering to people because of his racist beliefs/acts/policies, and contributed to the racist legacy that continues to cause pain and suffering. You may read about this person in your history books."

Why not honor a scientist? An educator? Or someone like Harriet Tubman, who risked her life to save many others? Give kids someone to be proud of. Leave the racist politicians to the dusty history books.

I'd rather read a true account of history, no matter what it says, than one that says "white people were great, period."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston