Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 09:36 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,727,753 times

Advertisements

I’ve thought that this school was oddly named for a POTUS who was an unabashed racist. Among his misdeeds were: Racial segregation of federal employees and the military forces, screening Birth of a Nation in the White House, absolute refusal to meet with black leaders and signing the 13th Amendment which gave us federal income tax and establishing the Federal . Perhaps it is time to rethink why he should be so deserving of having this school named for him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 09:40 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,036,540 times
Interesting topic and all, but for time being I was more concerned about places still named after Confederate figures.

Old 06-08-2020, 09:48 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,514,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
I’ve thought that this school was oddly named for a POTUS who was an unabashed racist. Among his misdeeds were: Racial segregation of federal employees and the military forces, screening Birth of a Nation in the White House, absolute refusal to meet with black leaders and signing the 13th Amendment which gave us federal income tax and establishing the Federal . Perhaps it is time to rethink why he should be so deserving of having this school named for him?
Cleansing a society of names that were once acceptable and no longer are takes time. Its not an overnight thing.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:32 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,628,204 times
Quote:
To be fair, the city is named after a man who owned slaves.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:52 AM

181 posts, read 643,115 times
The better question is, why didn't anyone care in 2010?

Old 06-08-2020, 11:05 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,727,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific_trader View Post
The better question is, why didn't anyone care in 2010?
Is that when they named the school? To the other poster that commented about Sam Houston, I'd like to point out that slavery had been the norm for centuries throughout the world, but I'm pretty sure that it was limited to captured enemies or indentured slavery. The Slave trade was extremely brutal and took many years to abolish. What WW did was horrible even considering the times. His predecessor Pres Teddy Roosevelt had made progress by hosting Booker T Washington at the White House amid much criticism. WW reversed all of that progress and greatly damaged racial conditions in this country.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:38 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Interesting topic and all, but for time being I was more concerned about places still named after Confederate figures.
Agree,
the fact is that those guys were traitors that took arms against the US army

Old 06-08-2020, 02:10 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,525,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Cleansing a society of names that were once acceptable and no longer are takes time. Its not an overnight thing.
"Cleansing", wow. I guess we should just burn all the books, destroy all the statues, sack the museums too. Nothing to learn from history, folks. Just erase it.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:24 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,055,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
"Cleansing", wow. I guess we should just burn all the books, destroy all the statues, sack the museums too. Nothing to learn from history, folks. Just erase it.
Extreme knee-jerk reaction. Next time, think for a moment first.

Nobody is saying to take Woodrow Wilson out of history books. He should 100% be in the history books, along with a full accounting of what he did, good and bad. But naming a school after him, or putting up statues of confederates, is just straight-up honoring someone, with no context, and no discussion of the harm they caused.

See the difference?

Old 06-08-2020, 04:15 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Is that when they named the school? To the other poster that commented about Sam Houston, I'd like to point out that slavery had been the norm for centuries throughout the world, but I'm pretty sure that it was limited to captured enemies or indentured slavery. The Slave trade was extremely brutal and took many years to abolish. What WW did was horrible even considering the times. His predecessor Pres Teddy Roosevelt had made progress by hosting Booker T Washington at the White House amid much criticism. WW reversed all of that progress and greatly damaged racial conditions in this country.
No. The school was named decades ago when it was built as a regular elementary school. Several schools were renamed in 2016, as they had been named after Confederates. It was annoying that Lanier Middle School was included, since it was named after a guy who was famous for his literary achievements, not for being a Confederate - he was a private, and was captured early in the war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston