Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2021, 08:34 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,765,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Or you can simply be dramatic and theatrical and bring in facts with absolutely no context. I mean most of it is facts anyway. Your statement about Houston and Chicago was completely incorrect.

No one is minimizing or denying what Houston is going through. But we arent an island. This is a nationwide trauma brought on as a bi-product of the pandemic.
Keep cheerleading, downplaying it, and move on. I'm sure there's more people in line with my thinking than your's. BTW; Houston crime has increased at a higher percentage than Chicago over the last year "FACT"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJo40tbY95U
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Can you point to statistics that the crime rate in Houston is significantly worse than other major cities?
But as far as murder, we dont really stand out among major cities.
I gave you statistics and you still rather make excuses SMH. Even the police chief and city officials are acknowledging this lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLMsuLOAjrY

Old 06-18-2021, 08:47 AM

8,355 posts, read 5,517,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Keep cheerleading, downplaying it, and move on. I'm sure there's more people in line with my thinking than your's. BTW; Houston crime has increased at a higher percentage than Chicago over the last year "FACT"

If you think Im some sort of Houston Cheerleader, you obviously dont know my history on this forum.

What I am a stickler for is facts and context. You have to have both in any argument. You can say crime has increased at a higher rate, but that does NOT make it more dangerous.

Chicago is at 300 murders for the year and Houston at 215. Its been 6 and half months into the year so, if the trend stays the same, we would expect Chicago to have 580 murders this year and Houston to have 400 murders this year. Both of those numbers are LOWER than each city had last year. There is typically a spike in homicide in the last two weeks in December, so its statistically likely Houston ends up with a similar murder count or marginally higher as 2020 but Chicago would be lower.

As for why homicides are up compared to this time last year: the Pandemic. Homicide rates didnt spike in most cities until the middle of the summer and into the fall last year because the consequences of lockdowns and distancing was just coming into effect in June of last year.

By month, this was the murder count in 2020:
January: 26
February: 19
March: 24
April: 32
May: 33
June: 24
July: 28
August: 34
September: 40
October: 49
November: 37
December: 40

Now youll notice that the 386 doesnt above doesnt add up to the 402 murders Houston had. Well, thats the unincorporated areas youre talking about that make up the difference. The media tracks all areas with a Houston mailing address in their numbers. HPD doesnt as youve pointed out.

Here are the numbers through April in 2021.

January: 29
February: 33
March: 28
April: 35

So yeah, we have a problem with rising crime. However, CONTEXT!!! Thats my whole point.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 06-18-2021 at 09:01 AM..

Old 06-18-2021, 09:50 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,629,417 times
Quote:

According to this chart Chicago homicides rose higher than any other from 2019 to 2020 by a significant margin. Philly came in 2nd. Houston is 7th on the list. Of course we don't have the full scope of homicides trending upwards compared to other cities since were still in 2021. But I'm willing to bet these numbers will be no different at the end of the year when it's all said and done.

Old 06-18-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
If you think Im some sort of Houston Cheerleader, you obviously dont know my history on this forum.

What I am a stickler for is facts and context. You have to have both in any argument. You can say crime has increased at a higher rate, but that does NOT make it more dangerous.

Chicago is at 300 murders for the year and Houston at 215. Its been 6 and half months into the year so, if the trend stays the same, we would expect Chicago to have 580 murders this year and Houston to have 400 murders this year.
Technically it's 5 1/2 months of data, I'm a stickler for numbers as well.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Technically it's 5 1/2 months of data, I'm a stickler for numbers as well.
That is my mistake. Ill correct the projection to the below.

So that would have Houston at a projected 469 murders and Chicago at 660. If trends hold (which again, murders spike around Christmas and New Years everywhere so I dont expect it to be exact), that would give Houston a murder rate of 20.2 and Chicago a murder rate of 25.5. Houston would still not be worse than Chicago.

Everything else I wrote is factually correct and valid.

Old 06-19-2021, 03:20 PM

5,616 posts, read 4,949,389 times
USC619, you seem to be on a relentless campaign to falsely deride Houston's suburbs as disastrous and crime-infested. Our suburbs are as quality and safe as any major metro on the whole of it. Has Houston always been a relatively violent place, especially for a metro that's economically successful? Yes, but trying to portray our suburban living as "lesser" is simply incorrect.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
USC619, you seem to be on a relentless campaign to falsely deride Houston's suburbs as disastrous and crime-infested. Our suburbs are as quality and safe as any major metro on the whole of it. Has Houston always been a relatively violent place, especially for a metro that's economically successful? Yes, but trying to portray our suburban living as "lesser" is simply incorrect.
No I’m not, I’m just pointing out how the Harris county and city of Houston elected officials are failing us.

Old 06-19-2021, 09:00 PM

15,444 posts, read 7,511,039 times
Quote:
No I’m not, I’m just pointing out how the Harris county and city of Houston elected officials are failing us.
In what way are they failing us? Police don't stop crime, they clean up afterwards.

Old 06-20-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
So is every other city then.

You definitely have an axe to grind with Houston but you refuse to acknowledge that we are part of a nationwide trend in rising crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston