Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2021, 12:06 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times

Advertisements

^I notice just as much the relative lack of blips in Third Ward, Hiram Clarke, Fondren Southwest, 290/Mangum/NW Highway etc. that would be hauling a lot more of the load some 10-15 years ago. It's doing the same thing it's done in Chicago. Just concentrated even more into highly charged gangster powder kegs.

The lyrics are a little different, but the chords and the keys are the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 12:10 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,759,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Those areas are pretty common hot spots in general. It's just homicide has gone up in those same "hot spot" areas this year.
Geez, just quit lol. Overall crime has gone up.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:48 PM

87 posts, read 43,635 times
Quote:
Those areas are pretty common hot spots in general. It's just homicide has gone up in those same "hot spot" areas this year.
This. Crime has definitely gone up, but it's mostly in the hot spots. Those are the same spots from when I lived in Houston pre 2010s.

Houston in particular has been doubly hurt by the O&G crash/trade war plus Covid. Houston does well when the globe is doing well, and it hasn't been.

Old 06-22-2021, 02:21 PM

5,613 posts, read 4,937,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Geez, just quit lol. Overall crime has gone up.
No one is dismissing it, we all should be concerned and looking for ways to combat it. But other than the volume, we also don't see how it's seriously different from in the past (geographically), and also different from the ways it's going up in other cities around the nation. You seem to assert that there's something especially wrong with Houston / Harris County, when we are not seeing how it's going differently here from elsewhere.

Old 06-22-2021, 03:14 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
No one is dismissing it, we all should be concerned and looking for ways to combat it. But other than the volume, we also don't see how it's seriously different from in the past (geographically), and also different from the ways it's going up in other cities around the nation. You seem to assert that there's something especially wrong with Houston / Harris County, when we are not seeing how it's going differently here from elsewhere.
I think the problem is people are dismissing it. Every single poster whose response was "well other cities nationwide are seeing an increase" without wondering or questioning why Houston has had some of the higher increase represents part of the problem we see in the general population. Just very nonchalant about crime increase.

What about the major cities, like Boston or San Diego, that have not seen major crime increases? What are they doing right? Why is Houston having some of the highest violent crime increases? You don't think people in Philly are wondering why Philly is going back to the 80s crack era in terms of its murder count in 2021, or do you think they are just saying "well the rest of the nation is seeing an increase so yeah!"?

Old 06-22-2021, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I think the problem is people are dismissing it. Every single poster whose response was "well other cities nationwide are seeing an increase" without wondering or questioning why Houston has had some of the higher increase represents part of the problem we see in the general population. Just very nonchalant about crime increase.

What about the major cities, like Boston or San Diego, that have not seen major crime increases? What are they doing right? Why is Houston having some of the highest violent crime increases? You don't think people in Philly are wondering why Philly is going back to the 80s crack era in terms of its murder count in 2021, or do you think they are just saying "well the rest of the nation is seeing an increase so yeah!"?
I actually agree with you - you have to think these other cities suffering increases are also seeking causes and solutions, and many or most of those things could have applicability here. And examining why other cities haven't had increases would also be useful.

I think it's also useful to ask why Houston has historically had elevated levels of violent crime when for much of its history, including recently, Houston has been an economically successful place but yet with high levels of violent crime, when the stereotype of cities with high violent crime is that it is tied to economic decline.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:27 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrawndagger View Post
Is the Alief/Sharpstown area usually this bad? I know it tends to run hot at times, but there are more dots on there than I would have thought.
Yes it's been one of the worst areas in Houston for a long while.

Quote:

For the record I'm not dismissing rising crime in Houston. It's a simple fact that homicides in a ton of major cities in America have gone up and this is not a Houston problem but an American problem mostly with it's major cities.

Now let me address the elephant in the room. You brought up Boston and San Diego. What is Boston and San Diego doing right? Boston and San Diego doesn't have a high concentration of poverty stricken communities of Black and Brown people like some of these other cities.

I don't see how people don't realize this. Low-income communities in America were already vulnerable pre-covid and what covid did was accelerate problems that already existed within these specific communities. Cities like Boston, San Diego or even Denver were already relatively safe in comparison to other major cities in this country before covid. So it'd make no sense for those particular cities to all of a sudden spike in crime.

These communities were already ticking time bombs waiting to explode. And covid pretty much lit the fuse. America has never tried to fix these communities to make them livable for the common person living in those environments. Never tried to properly address decades of socio-economics ills that impact these communities. And the only way they've "addressed" them were to over police these neighborhoods instead of the root cause of crime.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:11 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,046,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I actually agree with you - you have to think these other cities suffering increases are also seeking causes and solutions, and many or most of those things could have applicability here. And examining why other cities haven't had increases would also be useful.

I think it's also useful to ask why Houston has historically had elevated levels of violent crime when for much of its history, including recently, Houston has been an economically successful place but yet with high levels of violent crime, when the stereotype of cities with high violent crime is that it is tied to economic decline.
This is a question I definitely think about quite a bit. My hypothesis is that its an outgrowth of the culture here as well as a function of how the city is designed, primarily. Houston, is an open, libertarianish place, and has been for a long time. The "live and let live" attitude that most of us have here is a relative weakness when it comes to fighting crime and the culture of criminality. We don't have a high population of "Karen types" - most people here mind their own business. Police are sparse and always have been (at least since the 80s) - I rarely see anyone pulled over for anything within the city limits. Also, we're the bank robbery capital of the US - for no small reason than a lot of the banks are on feeder roads with easy access to a freeway - you can rob a bank and be in the traffic flow on your nearest freeway in 30 seconds, which is way easier than most places. Then there's the roughnecks from the oil patch that largely built the city up between the 50s and 80s - the place was known for being dangerous even back then. Now in modern times, its in the perfect place geographically to faciliatate international trafficking of drugs and people. I could go on.

Lots of reasons unique to this area that make it prone to crime imo.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:33 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Yes it's been one of the worst areas in Houston for a long while.

For the record I'm not dismissing rising crime in Houston. It's a simple fact that homicides in a ton of major cities in America have gone up and this is not a Houston problem but an American problem mostly with it's major cities.

Now let me address the elephant in the room. You brought up Boston and San Diego. What is Boston and San Diego doing right? Boston and San Diego doesn't have a high concentration of poverty stricken communities of Black and Brown people like some of these other cities.

I don't see how people don't realize this.
Low-income communities in America were already vulnerable pre-covid and what covid did was accelerate problems that already existed within these specific communities. Cities like Boston, San Diego or even Denver were already relatively safe in comparison to other major cities in this country before covid. So it'd make no sense for those particular cities to all of a sudden spike in crime.

These communities were already ticking time bombs waiting to explode. And covid pretty much lit the fuse. America has never tried to fix these communities to make them livable for the common person living in those environments. Never tried to properly address decades of socio-economics ills that impact these communities. And the only way they've "addressed" them were to over police these neighborhoods instead of the root cause of crime.
The comments are pretty dismissive when all you (not just you but others) do is bring up other cities that have rising crime. That's literally it. How does that help look into why there is so much crime, when the only excuse people say is "well x city has had an increase too!" It's a representation of what's happening in the general public in many ways. Like just because another city deals with it that means Houstonians should be okay with it.

And another thing, people DO realize what I bolded. Now move on to the next question, why don't Boston and San Diego have high concentrations of poverty from people of color? NYC sure has high levels of poverty among POC yet it's violent crime rate is way below Houston. Same for Los Angeles.

And besides, it wasn't COVID but the policies put in place that directly harmed these communities so much. How can you say they were ticking timebombs ready to explode when violent crime was dropping in most major cities, including Houston, before the plandemic? The economy was ramping up, people had well paying jobs, etc. The plandemic just exposed how corrupt the system is for many of the sheep who couldn't see it before, which is why retail is having such a hard time hiring people right now.

Old 06-23-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
The comments are pretty dismissive when all you (not just you but others) do is bring up other cities that have rising crime. That's literally it. How does that help look into why there is so much crime, when the only excuse people say is "well x city has had an increase too!" It's a representation of what's happening in the general public in many ways. Like just because another city deals with it that means Houstonians should be okay with it.

And another thing, people DO realize what I bolded. Now move on to the next question, why don't Boston and San Diego have high concentrations of poverty from people of color? NYC sure has high levels of poverty among POC yet it's violent crime rate is way below Houston. Same for Los Angeles.

And besides, it wasn't COVID but the policies put in place that directly harmed these communities so much. How can you say they were ticking timebombs ready to explode when violent crime was dropping in most major cities, including Houston, before the plandemic? The economy was ramping up, people had well paying jobs, etc. The plandemic just exposed how corrupt the system is for many of the sheep who couldn't see it before, which is why retail is having such a hard time hiring people right now.
I believe Houston's violent crime had quit decreasing before COVID - like by around 2018 it had either plateaued or ticked upward. Still way below the 80s and early 90s, but not going in the direction we would like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston