Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2021, 02:51 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,223 times

Advertisements

Here’s a good segment on Click2Hou about our out of control crime

https://www.click2houston.com/news/i...g-crime-rates/

Last edited by usc619; 07-27-2021 at 04:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2021, 09:07 AM

52 posts, read 27,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I have seen statistics that we have high property crime rates and our human trafficking problem is completely out of control.

Remember a few years back when human trafficking was in the news? I was thinking, "For sure they're going to close down those dubious 'massage parlors' that make my flesh crawl." Those places radiate some kind of evil and creepiness. But nope, they're in full operation and expanding.

In my view, Houston could step up a reputation notch by systematically investigating these.

Old 08-17-2021, 05:36 PM

The numbers keep climbing

https://abc13.com/houston-crime-dead...shot/10956887/

Old 08-17-2021, 08:12 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
What's your point? Crime goes up, crime goes down. The police are clean up guys, they can't do much to prevent crime, especially with the relatively low number of officers in Houston and Harris County.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
What's your point? Crime goes up, crime goes down. The police are clean up guys, they can't do much to prevent crime, especially with the relatively low number of officers in Houston and Harris County.
Just offering awareness to those not familiar with what's going on in Houston.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...EbwvHOSc1TYBeQ

"84 homicides in unincorporated Harris County. Last year, 123 people were killed in what authorities deemed homicides.
In Houston, police are investigating at least 280 homicides — more than triple the county’s number. The deaths are a 30 percent increase from the 216 people killed at this point last year"

Old 08-18-2021, 05:03 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Just offering awareness to those not familiar with what's going on in Houston.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...EbwvHOSc1TYBeQ

"84 homicides in unincorporated Harris County. Last year, 123 people were killed in what authorities deemed homicides.
In Houston, police are investigating at least 280 homicides — more than triple the county’s number. The deaths are a 30 percent increase from the 216 people killed at this point last year"
Meh. Worse than some years, far better than the 80's. From everything I've seen, your chances of being murdered randomly are still very low, so follow these rules, and you should be pretty safe:
  • Don't get involved in drugs
  • Stay out of bars/clubs in sketchy areas
  • Don't mess around with someone elses significant other
  • If your partner is abusive or runs around on you, walk away

Old 08-18-2021, 06:29 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Meh. Worse than some years, far better than the 80's. From everything I've seen, your chances of being murdered randomly are still very low, so follow these rules, and you should be pretty safe:
But you’re missing the point of this thread. It’s not to put things into perspective, it’s living monument to drama.

Old 08-18-2021, 07:11 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,577 times
Quote:
Adding:
[*]Don’t drive on Houston’s roads. But if you, do don’t stand up to bullies or do anything to provoke them. The increase in road rage in this town is unacceptable.

A father of two was shot and killed a few days ago on his way home from picking up takeout dinner for his family. He had the audacity to provoke a group of illegally riding ATV bikers while stopped at a stop light, who after kicking his tires and failing to open his door (to give him a beating, I assume), shot and killed him as he attempted to drive away.

Killed while picking up dinner for his family in a “safe” neighborhood at a “safe” time. Killed while engaged a the most mundane of normal life activity, one all of us have done and continue to do. Killed while engaging in a “low risk” activity.

There are many things about Houston I like, but I will not turn a blind eye to its faults and failings, nor accept such barbaric acts as a normal part of living in this town.

Everyone should be upset about the increase in crime here, hold our elected officials accountable, and actively seek to do our part to make it better.

Old 08-18-2021, 09:12 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,240,847 times
Thought I saw that story about the ATV / bike gang, but it has been buried for some reason. Not all news outlets are reporting it. It'd be nice to get a description of the gang and the driver. That is also buried. Why is that?

BTW, when you have a large majority of the city with demographics that resemble a corrupt, backwards Caribbean or South American country, the same type of behavior follows. "_____ people do _____ things" ... words of wisdom I learned from an ex-con turned Marine from the hood.

As for "civic engagement" Houston (city) has always been ranked among the worst. Perhaps it's because the busybodies who may be "engaged" don't live in the city... and the ones who do are leaving in droves. Who is replacing them? Uneducated people who fled their own countries' troubles, instead of trying to embetter them-- and have an unnatural # of anchor babies who grow up in that mindset. How does that bode for our future?

Old 08-18-2021, 11:37 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Thought I saw that story about the ATV / bike gang, but it has been buried for some reason. Not all news outlets are reporting it. It'd be nice to get a description of the gang and the driver. That is also buried. Why is that?

BTW, when you have a large majority of the city with demographics that resemble a corrupt, backwards Caribbean or South American country, the same type of behavior follows. "_____ people do _____ things" ... words of wisdom I learned from an ex-con turned Marine from the hood.

As for "civic engagement" Houston (city) has always been ranked among the worst. Perhaps it's because the busybodies who may be "engaged" don't live in the city... and the ones who do are leaving in droves. Who is replacing them? Uneducated people who fled their own countries' troubles, instead of trying to embetter them-- and have an unnatural # of anchor babies who grow up in that mindset. How does that bode for our future?
That murder was 100% preventable if it turns out the shooter was riding an ATV,(or otherwise riding illegally) AND, at the bear minimum, Houston enforced current laws on the books to discourage this kind of reckless, bullying and dangerous activity.

https://txteamm.org/texas-atv-laws-sec-663-003/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston