Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2021, 11:40 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I worried more in the early 80's than I do now. At one point, I lived just South of 610 on Stella Link, in the area that turned into crack city a couple of years later. Never had any issues, though. It seemed like that if you:
  • Didn't get involved in drugs
  • Didn't mess around with someone else's significant other
  • Stayed out of the low end bars
  • Used a little common sense

Your chances of getting murdered were pretty low. The same probably applies now, with the addition of not fomenting road rage. Back in the 80's, carrying a handgun was against the law, pretty much everywhere. If you were white, you were much less likely to get in trouble for doing so - almost everyone I knew carried in their car. I didn't because I couldn't afford to buy a handgun, and I'm pretty law abiding.
While this is probably true, the advice is more difficult to apply to family members and romantic partners who perpetrate so much of the violent crime in the context of their personal relationships. We do seem to see a lot of these folks already in the system because they have violent proclivities, but for whatever reason (low bond is likely one), they're out on the streets and endangering these personal acquaintances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2021, 03:36 PM

390 posts, read 389,098 times
Is the area where Travis& Elgin street really one of the most dangerous areas in Houston??

https://usaestaonline.com/dangerous-...ood-in-houston

Old 12-02-2021, 05:36 AM

225 posts, read 135,272 times
Quote:
I worried more in the early 80's than I do now. At one point, I lived just South of 610 on Stella Link, in the area that turned into crack city a couple of years later. Never had any issues, though. It seemed like that if you:
  • Didn't get involved in drugs
  • Didn't mess around with someone else's significant other
  • Stayed out of the low end bars
  • Used a little common sense

Your chances of getting murdered were pretty low. The same probably applies now, with the addition of not fomenting road rage. Back in the 80's, carrying a handgun was against the law, pretty much everywhere. If you were white, you were much less likely to get in trouble for doing so - almost everyone I knew carried in their car. I didn't because I couldn't afford to buy a handgun, and I'm pretty law abiding.
Luckily we got serious about reducing crime in the 90s. Both parties agreed that crime was a problem, and agreed we needed more police and needed to keep the bad guys in prisons. Unfortunately we are trending back to the 70s and 80s.

Old 12-02-2021, 09:05 AM

3,142 posts, read 2,044,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeohnny View Post
Is the area where Travis& Elgin street really one of the most dangerous areas in Houston??

https://usaestaonline.com/dangerous-...ood-in-houston
Honestly, 90% of that article made no sense. It even spelled the city "Huston" or called "Huston" a neighborhood several times. There's some nuggets of truth in it, but overall it looks like it was written by a second-grader and should be treated as such.

As far as the specific question about that intersection, no it's not even close to being one of the most dangerous places in the city.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:38 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,223 times
Last few nights have been crazy with all of the shootings https://abc13.com/6-people-shot-acro...ight/11307887/

https://abc13.com/harris-county-serg...fice/11306705/

https://abc13.com/11-year-old-girl-s...sion/11306210/

Old 12-11-2021, 08:59 PM

17 posts, read 11,089 times
SMH to these posts about crime being higher in the 80s and 90s compared to now.. You folks must have been been little kids back then and were probably scared of the whole world.

You have to be really stupid if you actually believe crime 30+ years ago was much higher than it is now.

Yeah let’s all blame it on the old bad ass ruthless generation of Houston adults from the 80s and 90s. No way crime today in 2021 compares to that era right!?

Wrong. And this is why your all wrong.

Let’s start off with the population. Houston’s population from the 80s and 90s is nowhere near as dense as it is now. Houston wasn’t as developed as it is today, there wasn’t as much traffic on the roads as there is in 2021. There wasn’t as much people living in Houston in the 80s/90s.

Road rage was unheard of in Houston during that time people actually drove like civilized mature adults. There was no fast and furious wanna be generation.

There was no social media generation or smart phones back then either, nobody was in a pissing contest to achieve the most attention and get the most likes on social media.

Todays generation has no remorse for human life, as long as they can achieve their gold status they don’t care about anybody or anything.

There wasn’t a fake license plate/paper tag generation in the 80s and 90s either.

Last Monday a gas station clerk working at the chevron on 610 and Memorial was shot in the face for no reason. The criminal came up to him and shot him in the face without saying a word.

You can’t even drive in Houston safely knowing there are so many idiots on the roads and most of them are carrying a gun in their vehicle. Wake up and look around you, notice all those paper tags?. More than half the people driving those cars are criminals.

You people that say Houston is safer now than the 80s have you ever been shot by a road raging moron while driving in Houston? Do you people even live inside the city limits or are you assuming Houston is so safe now compared to the past while living in your little suburb? I remember houston growing up throughout the 90s and 2000s and I have always lived in the city limits my entire life, I have been driving up and down the westheimer corridor from the far west side to the Galleria daily for the past 20+ years. New developments may have happened but the population has deteriorated. I have witnessed the deterioration first hand. The city is swarmed with undesirable trash and they have trashed out this once great city. Look how filthy the westheimer corridor has become starting from 610 to SH 6. There’s filth and trash everywhere. Just the other day there was a group of 20 men who appeared like refugees from Afghanistan all of them sitting and hanging around on a small field of grass at Old Farm and Westheimer.

Two road ragers were engaged in a shoot out on westheimer at the kirkwood intersection endangering many people around them. Now you people who claim violent crime was much higher in the 80s/90s tell me when in the history of Houston has there ever been a shoot out incident on WESTHEIMER before the 2010s/20s?

Areas of Houston where crime was unheard of is now swarming with crime. The Galleria, Energy Corridor, Westchase, Memorial, Briar Forest are all examples.

You people are full of it, you are posting mis information claiming Houston’s crime was higher 40 years ago. It wasn’t, it wasn’t even close to what we are living through today in 2021. You are lying to yourselves and to others reading this forum. Stop kidding yourselves. Get out from underneath the rock your living in and just take a look around you, look at your surroundings.

You don’t have any right to make false inaccurate claims stating Houston’s crime was higher in the past if you never even lived in Houston or were too young during that time period or if your currently living in the suburbs.

Last edited by Westpark Village; 12-11-2021 at 09:32 PM..

Old 12-12-2021, 08:06 AM

15,402 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westpark Village View Post
SMH to these posts about crime being higher in the 80s and 90s compared to now.. You folks must have been been little kids back then and were probably scared of the whole world.

You have to be really stupid if you actually believe crime 30+ years ago was much higher than it is now.
You are wrong. I was an adult during the worst days of the 70's and 80's, and crime was worse then. More murders, especially on a per capita basis, more petty crime, more muggings, assaults, etc.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:34 AM

9,855 posts, read 6,570,632 times
I wasn’t alive to see the 80s so or most of the 90s, but Westpark Village’s response sounds like a cranky guy asking kids to get off his lawn so there’s that.

Old 12-12-2021, 10:39 AM

390 posts, read 389,098 times
So the question is are there any somewhat safe areas in Houston?? If so, which ones are left? Im talking about in the city limits not the burbs.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:24 PM

3,142 posts, read 2,044,970 times
Quote:
You are wrong. I was an adult during the worst days of the 70's and 80's, and crime was worse then. More murders, especially on a per capita basis, more petty crime, more muggings, assaults, etc.
Yep, smaller city, worse crime back then as I remember it. Westpark Village's response is completely laughable. It seems to me his issue is that there's more crime in HIS neighborhood then there was back then which may or may not be true. But yes, shootings on Westheimer were frequent, road rage here is nothing new, and the drivers were just as bad back then as they are now (though I will say cell phones are a big factor in a lot of the stupidity we see on the roads now).

Back then, places like Katy, Sugar Land, the Woodlands, etc. were much smaller and likely did have less crime but the city itself? Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston