Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2023, 11:28 AM

38 posts, read 122,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
No one is celebrating. People are pointing out the drop in homicides since there has been a lot of misinformation from a certain group of people trying to score political points. I think local officials have been consistent, pointing out that a drop is good but there’s still lots of work to be done.
I agree, most officials have been saying we still have work to do, but during the highest homicide rate since the crack epidemic, an 8% drop amounts to little more than a statistical variance, IMO. We were actually ahead of last year through August-- we just had a less violent fall than usual which brought the numbers down. Hopefully we can build on it and get it back down to the barely-acceptable levels it was in the 00s and 10s. Their 65+% clearance rate on homicides is encouraging, at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 12:47 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Although I thought it was gonna happen sooner rather than later. I do think in my lifetime there will be a moment when Houston has less than 100 homicides. It’ll largely be due to demographics but I’ll celebrate it then, nonetheless.

Old 01-10-2023, 01:11 PM

38 posts, read 122,855 times
In 2011 we had 198. Lowest number/rate that I can find in our history. Under 100 would be some feat.

Old 01-10-2023, 02:01 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Although I thought it was gonna happen sooner rather than later. I do think in my lifetime there will be a moment when Houston has less than 100 homicides. It’ll largely be due to demographics but I’ll celebrate it then, nonetheless.
I would love nothing more than to experience this in Houston.

Old 01-10-2023, 05:14 PM

5,104 posts, read 2,050,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
The Robber was probably thinking “what’s the worst thing that can happen in Harris County if I was to get caught?” …unfortunately he left out one variable.
And from what I saw on that article, the robber have a criminal history.
https://www.fox26houston.com/news/ho...ly-out-on-bond

Quote:
...According to court documents, Washington previously was arrested back in December 2022 and charged with Assault of a Family Member. In fact, he was expected to show up in court on January 20.

Additionally, back in January 2015, the 30-year-old was also previously convicted of aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon.

Old 01-11-2023, 02:49 AM

8,349 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwbrewer87 View Post
> Who is celebrating? It is important to look at homicide rate growth and how various cities are moving though.

A lot of people have been. The mayor, the police, commenters on various subs... I've seen that 8% drop touted all over the place in the last couple weeks.

You didn't, though your comparison to Dallas had an "at least we aren't as bad as Dallas" tone to it, which ain't saying much considering their rate is almost always worse than ours going back to the mid-90s. Houston has a lot of work to do just to get back to the semi-acceptable rate we saw in the 00s and 10s.
Here’s the deal: my point during this thread has been that we have to look at the crime problem in Houston as compared to other cities because if we don’t, we won’t be able to discover why we have it. We should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. We should be able to say Houston has a violent crime problem AND it’s also not New Orleans or Baltimore. We should be able to look at the policies implemented in other cities that work and compare them to our own.

Looking at just our own area without taking into consideration the nation as a whole will solve nothing.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:00 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwbrewer87 View Post
In 2011 we had 198. Lowest number/rate that I can find in our history. Under 100 would be some feat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I would love nothing more than to experience this in Houston.
There’s a good chance in 50 years when the median age of the U.S is like 45, and the median age of Houston is like 40. Or at least closer to those numbers we do dip under a 100 homicides.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:36 AM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Well, Houston beat Los Angeles and NYC again in both #'s and rate. Bad look for Texans that love to crap on NY and CA for the out of control crime.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:43 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Yep the stats comparing metros have been posted several times before. The FBI even has crime statistics by metro area if folks care to look. I even posted those in this very thread when LocalPlanner was claiming the same thing that Houston suburbs are as safe as other cities. Shouldn't be a surprise that Houston has higher crime suburban areas than most other metro areas. I remember you posted the cops per capita stats before and that's one reason why Houston is higher since there are less suburban cops. Another is just simply culture.
Most of the LEOs in Harris county are hired by HOA and MUDS. The subdivision splits the cost with the HCSO or Constable's office. They patrol my neighborhood between 10 AM and 4 PM. All the theft is at night.

But as we address this, the morning paper informs me of the number of people who die on the job in the area.

Over 500 last year. Mostly construction, warehouse jobs. IMO, benign neglect of supervisors is an issue, too.

Old 01-11-2023, 02:22 PM

15,433 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Most of the LEOs in Harris county are hired by HOA and MUDS. The subdivision splits the cost with the HCSO or Constable's office. They patrol my neighborhood between 10 AM and 4 PM. All the theft is at night.

But as we address this, the morning paper informs me of the number of people who die on the job in the area.

Over 500 last year. Mostly construction, warehouse jobs. IMO, benign neglect of supervisors is an issue, too.
Most of the LEOs in the county are hired by the County. The number of deputies hired by HOAs and such is small in comparison. I personally think the deputy programs need to be terminated, because it's wrong that a subdivision with money can hire extra actual law enforcement while subdivisions without money can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston