Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2022, 04:08 PM

6 posts, read 3,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Here's a link to keep track of the crime statics in H-town
[URL="https://abc13.com/feature/houston-safety-tracker-crime-stats-how-safe-is-my-neighborhood-zip-code-statistics/12045973/"]https://abc13.com/feature/houston-safety-tracker-crime-stats-how-safe-is-my-neighborhood-zip-code-statistics/12045973/[/URL]
Homicides over the last 12 months are trending down 10.8% compared to 2021.

It's interesting to look at the map and see where the crime is happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2022, 05:31 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,765,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouFisherman View Post
Homicides over the last 12 months are trending down 10.8% compared to 2021.

"However, the murder rate over the last 12 months is up 9% compared to the annual average over the last three years"

Old 11-21-2022, 01:45 AM

59 posts, read 32,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouFisherman View Post
I think we all knew where it was happening.

Old 11-24-2022, 08:44 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,765,482 times
It's unfortunate with all of the crime happening in Harris county during the last 4 years, there's no real plan on dealing with it from the county leaders SMH. HAPPY THANKSGIVING

https://abc13.com/woman-killed-man-i...rime/12491085/

https://abc13.com/two-teenagers-shot...ired/12488920/

Old 11-29-2022, 03:53 AM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHaqJvcRJZ4

Old 12-01-2022, 10:42 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,244,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Here's a link to keep track of the crime statics in H-town
https://abc13.com/feature/houston-sa...tics/12045973/
I am a numbers guy, and make my living with numbers. There is truth and there is perception. And this is a great tool to separate fact from fiction.

In my case, it shows crime in my area / section is in the lowest % category for each type of crime. When I dig into the incidents and rates, it has stayed essentially flat in all of the categories as well, over the years. When I look at adjacent areas, the incident counts and rates have stayed flat. There has always been more petty crime that way, because there is more retail (i.e. transient thugs). That will never change.

I will also say my area voted around 52% for Joe. I'm not sure how the midterm elections went but I'd be curious to dig into it.

So I can conclude that nothing important has changed for me in the crime department over the past few years. What has changed is more, already-scared whites who don't live here have been parroting what they hear and read off tabloid news.

For example my in-laws did this over Thanksgiving. They live in a 75% Republican exurb, and think our family lives in a war zone. I was surprised to see crime in their sleepy area is about 20% higher than mine and their adjacent areas are even worse. Absolutely nothing is objectively better out there except housing is newer & more efficient. I would show it all to them, but the whole "numbers" thing has never sunk in with them. (I'm actually going to start a thread over at P&OC about this.)

I think we'll stay put.

Old 12-02-2022, 09:47 PM

690 posts, read 641,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This was very informative. Good tips for seeing if you're being followed. Although, I question whether the HPD has the staffing to respond to callers who say they are being followed.

Old 12-03-2022, 06:37 AM

24,006 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
I am a numbers guy, and make my living with numbers. There is truth and there is perception. And this is a great tool to separate fact from fiction.

In my case, it shows crime in my area / section is in the lowest % category for each type of crime. When I dig into the incidents and rates, it has stayed essentially flat in all of the categories as well, over the years. When I look at adjacent areas, the incident counts and rates have stayed flat. There has always been more petty crime that way, because there is more retail (i.e. transient thugs). That will never change.

I will also say my area voted around 52% for Joe. I'm not sure how the midterm elections went but I'd be curious to dig into it.

So I can conclude that nothing important has changed for me in the crime department over the past few years. What has changed is more, already-scared whites who don't live here have been parroting what they hear and read off tabloid news.

For example my in-laws did this over Thanksgiving. They live in a 75% Republican exurb, and think our family lives in a war zone. I was surprised to see crime in their sleepy area is about 20% higher than mine and their adjacent areas are even worse. Absolutely nothing is objectively better out there except housing is newer & more efficient. I would show it all to them, but the whole "numbers" thing has never sunk in with them. (I'm actually going to start a thread over at P&OC about this.)

I think we'll stay put.

Your in laws could also getting their news from a well known neighborhood site. The 1st entry daily on my neighborhood is from a constable's office. He list the arrest and the criminal was let out on $100 bail. The wailing starts. Nobody ever heard of the O'Donnell lawsuit, or the overcrowded jail or the county website that has the dashboard to inform about all arrest yada yada. They still leave their computers and handbags in the car overnight then are shocked when they are stolen. Go figure.

Old 12-03-2022, 06:44 AM

15,444 posts, read 7,511,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

Your in laws could also getting their news from a well known neighborhood site. The 1st entry daily on my neighborhood is from a constable's office. He list the arrest and the criminal was let out on $100 bail. The wailing starts. Nobody ever heard of the O'Donnell lawsuit, or the overcrowded jail or the county website that has the dashboard to inform about all arrest yada yada. They still leave their computers and handbags in the car overnight then are shocked when they are stolen. Go figure.
It's not just leaving stuff in cars overnight, it's leaving stuff in cars while at restaurants, bars, the gym, etc. There was one in Houston recently where someone wrote that "we stopped for a nice dinner with our friends who were travelling overseas. When we came back out, their bags were gone including their passports, laptops, and other important items". They were stupid enough to leave passports in a vehicle? That's just poor thinking, especially when restaurant and bar parking lots are petty criminal magnets due to the number of people who leave stuff in their vehicle. And that's the kind of crime police are not going to easily stop.

Old 12-03-2022, 07:03 AM

9,907 posts, read 6,617,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
It's not just leaving stuff in cars overnight, it's leaving stuff in cars while at restaurants, bars, the gym, etc. There was one in Houston recently where someone wrote that "we stopped for a nice dinner with our friends who were travelling overseas. When we came back out, their bags were gone including their passports, laptops, and other important items". They were stupid enough to leave passports in a vehicle? That's just poor thinking, especially when restaurant and bar parking lots are petty criminal magnets due to the number of people who leave stuff in their vehicle. And that's the kind of crime police are not going to easily stop.
My family had this happen to us in Denver some years back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston