Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2022, 05:58 AM

225 posts, read 136,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Just what difference do you think electing Mealer would make? She's subject to the same budget constraints as Hidalgo, but if she's anything like Cagle and Ramsey, has zero clue as to how a budget works. Where is she going to get $100 million to hire 1,000 deputies that she's proposed?

Do you honestly believe that this county is run so lean that there isn't 5% of misused funds that can be re-appropriated? I mean, we just discussed how the county wasted over a million dollars on a gun buyback program that actually incentivizes criminals to steal more guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2022, 06:57 AM

15,444 posts, read 7,511,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
No mentioning of the judges??? It’s hard to take you seriously, when you can’t even be objective of your own party. It wasn’t long ago when you and your buddies were denying there’s a crime problem in Houston. For some reason you’re always quick to jump on here and defend Hidalgo as if your part of her PR group. I think it’s time to admit the leadership in Harris county/Houston has failed us and clean house.
Election of district court judges is pretty random, especially since straight ticket voting was eliminated. I don't even worry about those races much at all. No one can really know what any of the candidates stand for.

I do not want the County overall returning to the days where the poor areas got nothing while the rich white folks got all the benefits. And that's what will happen if Mealer is elected and forms a majority with Cagle and Ramsey. None of them has shown any empathy or understanding of anyone who isn't a rich White person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utche96 View Post
Do you honestly believe that this county is run so lean that there isn't 5% of misused funds that can be re-appropriated? I mean, we just discussed how the county wasted over a million dollars on a gun buyback program that actually incentivizes criminals to steal more guns.
From what I've seen of the current budget, no, there is not 5% that could be used to fund 1,000 new LEOs. To start, the proposed budget that Cagle and Ramsey haven't shown up to vote on has a budget for law and safety of $1.431 billion, so that has to be subtracted from the total budget. That leaves about $600 million that goes to other departments. That means the $100 million would be a 16% cut to the other departments. That's not happening.

Here's the link for the proposed budget(the one Cagle and Ramsey haven't shown up to vote on) https://budget.harriscountytx.gov/do...I_20220912.pdf

Here's the budget home page https://budget.harriscountytx.gov/budget.aspx

Last edited by WRM20; 10-07-2022 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: Add links to budget

Old 10-08-2022, 02:10 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,765,482 times
I never been an opponent of building apartments, but with houston's lack of zoning, we tend to get alot of overbuilding and decay. Based of the history of areas like greenspoint and sharpstown, I can see why folks are hesitant of buying near them.

https://abc13.com/apartment-complex-...fire/12304497/

Old 10-17-2022, 07:50 PM

I'm glad to see this is a the forefront of concerns leading up to this election.

https://abc13.com/texas-politics-rac...aler/12339775/

Meanwhile, until we can voice our concerns at the polls...https://abc13.com/marijuana-charge-d...ring/12324853/

Old 10-17-2022, 08:41 PM

8,355 posts, read 5,517,461 times
Quote:
I'm glad to see this is a the forefront of concerns leading up to this election.

https://abc13.com/texas-politics-rac...aler/12339775/

Meanwhile, until we can voice our concerns at the polls...https://abc13.com/marijuana-charge-d...ring/12324853/
You cant voice anything in regards to that race. You dont live in Harris County.

Old 10-21-2022, 02:43 PM

24,006 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Many subdivisions contract with the HCSO or a constable to do private security. The LE agency provides the car while the subdivision pays the salary.

How is that money accounted for? Does it go into the county general fund to be distributed or stay within the law enforcement agency that has the contract? And how much does each constable and HCSO make a year from these private contracts.

Old 10-21-2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Many subdivisions contract with the HCSO or a constable to do private security. The LE agency provides the car while the subdivision pays the salary.

How is that money accounted for? Does it go into the county general fund to be distributed or stay within the law enforcement agency that has the contract? And how much does each constable and HCSO make a year from these private contracts.
The subdivisions pay 70% of the cost of the deputy, including the vehicle, who makes the same salary and benefits as any other deputy in the agency. The revenue goes back to the Constable or HCSO to offset the costs of the deputy.

Personally, I think the contract deputy program is horrible. No neighborhood should be able to pay to get better law enforcement than a neighborhood that doesn't have money. If a neighborhood wants more security, they can hire a private company to drive around. The people who willingly pay for a contract deputy scream like a stuck pig if their taxes go up by a penny.

Old 10-21-2022, 08:49 PM

Quote:
The subdivisions pay 70% of the cost of the deputy, including the vehicle, who makes the same salary and benefits as any other deputy in the agency. The revenue goes back to the Constable or HCSO to offset the costs of the deputy.

Personally, I think the contract deputy program is horrible. No neighborhood should be able to pay to get better law enforcement than a neighborhood that doesn't have money. If a neighborhood wants more security, they can hire a private company to drive around. The people who willingly pay for a contract deputy scream like a stuck pig if their taxes go up by a penny.
I agree with you on this, contract deputy patrol is a total rip off. It's one of the many perks for the commissioners court. Seem to be very prominent in the Houston area. This is what you get with unincorporated counties that have underfunded or mismanaged your tax dollars

Old 10-21-2022, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I agree with you on this, contract deputy patrol is a total rip off. It's one of the many perks for the commissioners court. Seem to be very prominent in the Houston area. This is what you get with unincorporated counties that have underfunded or mismanaged your tax dollars
It's not just the unincorporated areas. There are numerous neighborhoods within the City of Houston that have a contract deputy. The residents in neighborhoods with a contract deputy that contribute to the program get a special number to call that gets them a quicker response. In other words, if you can't afford, or do not want to pay for, the contract deputy, you don't get any special service, while your neighbor, who pays, gets to call a number that gets him a quick response from an actual law enforcement officer.

Old 10-21-2022, 11:37 PM

9,907 posts, read 6,617,073 times
Quote:
It's not just the unincorporated areas. There are numerous neighborhoods within the City of Houston that have a contract deputy. The residents in neighborhoods with a contract deputy that contribute to the program get a special number to call that gets them a quicker response. In other words, if you can't afford, or do not want to pay for, the contract deputy, you don't get any special service, while your neighbor, who pays, gets to call a number that gets him a quick response from an actual law enforcement officer.
Incorporation would form a new department that would take work off of the city of Houston and Harris county
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston