Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2023, 08:29 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
No way we are that close. Fort Bend +Montgomery + Galveston +Brazoria is normally under 100 murders for all four counties with well over two million people.

In 2018 the four counties hit 94. Now crime is up, since then but it hasn’t doubled in the suburbs like it had in the city.
What did anybody expect when any fool with too much testosterone and not enough brains can buy any gun they please? How many of those deaths were due to domestic violence? Or maybe a bunch of drunks getting into a pissin contest after a night of drinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2023, 01:33 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,764,522 times
Quote:
No way we are that close. Fort Bend +Montgomery + Galveston +Brazoria is normally under 100 murders for all four counties with well over two million people.

In 2018 the four counties hit 94. Now crime is up, since then but it hasn’t doubled in the suburbs like it had in the city.
I could be wrong, still waiting on my requests.

Old 01-04-2023, 11:04 AM

5,615 posts, read 4,947,388 times
Quote:

Well, some on this board claim (without ever having shown substantial evidence) that Houston suburbs are far, far more dangerous and crime ridden than suburbs in other Texas metros. Don't screw up the narrative!

Old 01-04-2023, 11:15 AM

21,650 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
My guess is we're well over a 1,000 homicides combined in the Houston area.

What in the? That's damn near NY State, NJ, and New England combined.

Old 01-04-2023, 11:44 AM

839 posts, read 456,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
What in the? That's damn near NY State, NJ, and New England combined.
He’s way over exaggerating. No way the MSA is at 1000 homicides.

Old 01-04-2023, 02:14 PM

8,354 posts, read 5,514,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
He’s way over exaggerating. No way the MSA is at 1000 homicides.
Its much closer to half that. If there were 1,000 murders in the Houston Urban Area, it would be higher than St. Louis or Detroit per capita. I seriously doubt that is the case.

LexisNexis compiles crimes with the feature below. Not all cities report their data on it, but Houston and most in Harris County do. Per the feature, there were 433 murders in the city of Houston including the parts of Houston not located in Harris County. Sugar Land had 1 murder. Rosenburg had 1 murder. Baytown had 5 murders. Pasadena had 9 murders. Conroe, the Woodlands, and New Caney in Montgomery County do and they only had 10 murders between all of them. In Harris County, the only areas that arent really covered are Spring and Cypress.

So where are the rest of the 500+ murders going to come from if the region had 1,000 murders?

https://communitycrimemap.com/map

Per the map, by fare the biggest murder clusters in Harris County are Bissoneet/Beechnut and the Beltway, I-45 and Scott to the South, and also South Park/Cloverland/Sunnyside.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 01-04-2023 at 02:40 PM..

Old 01-04-2023, 05:07 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,764,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Its much closer to half that. If there were 1,000 murders in the Houston Urban Area, it would be higher than St. Louis or Detroit per capita. I seriously doubt that is the case.

LexisNexis compiles crimes with the feature below. Not all cities report their data on it, but Houston and most in Harris County do. Per the feature, there were 433 murders in the city of Houston including the parts of Houston not located in Harris County. Sugar Land had 1 murder. Rosenburg had 1 murder. Baytown had 5 murders. Pasadena had 9 murders. Conroe, the Woodlands, and New Caney in Montgomery County do and they only had 10 murders between all of them. In Harris County, the only areas that arent really covered are Spring and Cypress.

So where are the rest of the 500+ murders going to come from if the region had 1,000 murders?

https://communitycrimemap.com/map

Per the map, by fare the biggest murder clusters in Harris County are Bissoneet/Beechnut and the Beltway, I-45 and Scott to the South, and also South Park/Cloverland/Sunnyside.
Harris county had 677 in 2022, I have not received the final count for the other counties…I was seriously debating on letting you continue to post false information instead of providing FACTS. Oh well, carry on

Old 01-04-2023, 06:21 PM

59 posts, read 32,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Color me surprised lol

Old 01-05-2023, 04:30 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,079,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Well, some on this board claim (without ever having shown substantial evidence) that Houston suburbs are far, far more dangerous and crime ridden than suburbs in other Texas metros. Don't screw up the narrative!
They are. Their are other suburban regions with 2,000,000+ people that only have 30-70 or so homicides. Prime Examples include NoVa, Collin+Denton Counties, Orange County, Suffolk+Nassau County, Chicago Suburbs, substantial parts of Northern New Jersey, etc. which all have less homicides than the 4 suburban counties of Houston (Which excludes suburban Harris County where 50% of suburban people live). Even some some counties with cities had outright lower rates than suburban Houston: like Tarrant County (until FW’s homicide rate doubled in the last 2 years), Santa Clara County, San Diego County and Travis (under the 2 million+ limit and had homicides triple in the last 5 years but yeah)

So while I’m sayin gone suburbs are substantially safer than Houston their still more dangerous than most large suburban areas Nationwide. I was semi-nitpicks but you don’t even have to be nit picky for this to be true. You run an analysis removing the central city and calculating the rate of homicide in the rest of the metro and after Miami and Atlanta, Houston is way up there for most cities without even being a 10th of the metro like Miami and Atlanta are.

Old 01-05-2023, 08:47 AM

8,354 posts, read 5,514,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Harris county had 677 in 2022, I have not received the final count for the other counties…I was seriously debating on letting you continue to post false information instead of providing FACTS. Oh well, carry on
Can you provide a source? Because, Im providing sources to back up what Im saying. You are not.

https://abc13.com/abc13-neighborhood...%20this%20year.

Houston PD didn't have anywhere near that so if you are correct, it would be interesting to note where the large number of other murders are taking place.

Source for murders in Baytown:

https://baytown.org/554/Murder

Source for murders in Pasadena:

https://www.pasadenatx.gov/726/Statistics

So where are all these other murders occurring?

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 01-05-2023 at 09:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston