Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2023, 03:37 PM

5,613 posts, read 4,936,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
They are. Their are other suburban regions with 2,000,000+ people that only have 30-70 or so homicides. Prime Examples include NoVa, Collin+Denton Counties, Orange County, Suffolk+Nassau County, Chicago Suburbs, substantial parts of Northern New Jersey, etc. which all have less homicides than the 4 suburban counties of Houston (Which excludes suburban Harris County where 50% of suburban people live). Even some some counties with cities had outright lower rates than suburban Houston: like Tarrant County (until FW’s homicide rate doubled in the last 2 years), Santa Clara County, San Diego County and Travis (under the 2 million+ limit and had homicides triple in the last 5 years but yeah)

So while I’m sayin gone suburbs are substantially safer than Houston their still more dangerous than most large suburban areas Nationwide. I was semi-nitpicks but you don’t even have to be nit picky for this to be true. You run an analysis removing the central city and calculating the rate of homicide in the rest of the metro and after Miami and Atlanta, Houston is way up there for most cities without even being a 10th of the metro like Miami and Atlanta are.
You should list out the stats and show specifically what counties you're including. For example, including Orange County without including Riverside and San Bernardino counties seems disingenuous. And what about suburban counties in NJ / NY / CT?

I think a lot of people on this board just like to make up the notion that the entire Houston region is some sort of violence capital compared to other major metros. You're even trying to slander Fort Bend and Montgomery counties now. It's as if people are trying to deter economic development, because nothing will stop attraction of new residents like an image that the suburbs are unsafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2023, 03:59 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Can you provide a source? Because, Im providing sources to back up what Im saying. You are not.

https://abc13.com/abc13-neighborhood...%20this%20year.

Houston PD didn't have anywhere near that so if you are correct, it would be interesting to note where the large number of other murders are taking place.

Source for murders in Baytown:

https://baytown.org/554/Murder

Source for murders in Pasadena:

https://www.pasadenatx.gov/726/Statistics

So where are all these other murders occurring?
Unincorporated Harris County. Harris County Sheriff’s office reported over a 100 homicides this year of im not mistaken. The Cypress Station area which is partially in Houston had like 15+ outside of city limits by itself.

Edit: if you go to their website Harris County has 140+ homicides.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 01-05-2023 at 04:32 PM..

Old 01-05-2023, 04:09 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
You should list out the stats and show specifically what counties you're including. For example, including Orange County without including Riverside and San Bernardino counties seems disingenuous. And what about suburban counties in NJ / NY / CT?

I think a lot of people on this board just like to make up the notion that the entire Houston region is some sort of violence capital compared to other major metros. You're even trying to slander Fort Bend and Montgomery counties now. It's as if people are trying to deter economic development, because nothing will stop attraction of new residents like an image that the suburbs are unsafe.
I live in Fort Bend County partially and love it. I’m not slurring anything I’m telling you the truth. I’ve done this analysis before and it will take me a minute to dig for it or redo accurate numbers but Houston without its central city had somewhere along 5 homicides per 100,000. Most other big metros including Chicago, NY, LA, SF (even not excluding Oakland), Dallas (not excluding FW) and DC (Even with PG county putting over 100 homicides some years) had homicide rates between 1-3 per 100,000. Houston’s suburban areas homicide rates where lower than Atlanta’s and Miami’s which I think were in the 6-7 per 100,000 rate. I last did this in like 2018/2019 and things have gotten worse as far as suburban homicides elsewhere although it’s gotten much worse in the city.

Fort Bend a county is generally fine. The homicide rate is actually highest in Galveston County if I remember correctly. But even though Fort Bend is doing fine it is not as low as Orange County, Collin County, Nassau, Suffolk, Fairfax etc. similarly wealthy suburban counties.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 01-05-2023 at 04:58 PM..

Old 01-05-2023, 04:10 PM

3,146 posts, read 2,046,970 times
Quote:

Yep, agreed. I'd like to see those stats as well. I doubt that Houston suburbs are much worse than most places - suburban crime is up a lot of places in America these days.

Old 01-05-2023, 04:20 PM

9,866 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:

I think you’re confusing posters. Nigerian recently posted against. For most, the suburbs with crime have uniformly been unincorporated Harris County. Not the woodlands, Katy or sugar land

And I disagree with the second half of your second paragraph but that’s besides the point

Old 01-05-2023, 05:41 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,758,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Can you provide a source? Because, Im providing sources to back up what Im saying. You are not.

https://abc13.com/abc13-neighborhood...%20this%20year.

Houston PD didn't have anywhere near that so if you are correct, it would be interesting to note where the large number of other murders are taking place.

Source for murders in Baytown:

https://baytown.org/554/Murder

Source for murders in Pasadena:

https://www.pasadenatx.gov/726/Statistics

So where are all these other murders occurring?
lol, Straight from the Harris county medical examiner’s office. Send them a (open records act) request and get back with me on your findings.

City stats don’t tell the full story in a area full of unincorporated counties. Harris, Ft bend, Chambers, Liberty, Montgomery, Brazoria, Galveston and Waller counties all make up the Houston area. Once I get the tally for all these counties, I’ll be more than happy to post it.

Old 01-05-2023, 07:14 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I live in Fort Bend County partially and love it. I’m not slurring anything I’m telling you the truth. I’ve done this analysis before and it will take me a minute to dig for it or redo accurate numbers but Houston without its central city had somewhere along 5 homicides per 100,000. Most other big metros including Chicago, NY, LA, SF (even not excluding Oakland), Dallas (not excluding FW) and DC (Even with PG county putting over 100 homicides some years) had homicide rates between 1-3 per 100,000. Houston’s suburban areas homicide rates where lower than Atlanta’s and Miami’s which I think were in the 6-7 per 100,000 rate. I last did this in like 2018/2019 and things have gotten worse as far as suburban homicides elsewhere although it’s gotten much worse in the city.

Fort Bend a county is generally fine. The homicide rate is actually highest in Galveston County if I remember correctly. But even though Fort Bend is doing fine it is not as low as Orange County, Collin County, Nassau, Suffolk, Fairfax etc. similarly wealthy suburban counties.
Yep the stats comparing metros have been posted several times before. The FBI even has crime statistics by metro area if folks care to look. I even posted those in this very thread when LocalPlanner was claiming the same thing that Houston suburbs are as safe as other cities. Shouldn't be a surprise that Houston has higher crime suburban areas than most other metro areas. I remember you posted the cops per capita stats before and that's one reason why Houston is higher since there are less suburban cops. Another is just simply culture.

Old 01-06-2023, 04:14 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,521,385 times
I guess this guy picked the wrong place to rob. Oddly enough the man who shot the robber and all the other customers left before police arrived.

Police: Customer shoots, kills man who tried to rob taqueria in southwest Houston

Old 01-07-2023, 03:02 PM

291 posts, read 201,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
I guess this guy picked the wrong place to rob. Oddly enough the man who shot the robber and all the other customers left before police arrived.

Police: Customer shoots, kills man who tried to rob taqueria in southwest Houston
shows the state of society when police are concerned about who killed the robber.

a just, moral society would seek to reward the shooter and throw the robber's body in a dumpster.

Old 01-07-2023, 06:26 PM

15,418 posts, read 7,477,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
shows the state of society when police are concerned about who killed the robber.

a just, moral society would seek to reward the shooter and throw the robber's body in a dumpster.
Police want to find the guy who shot the robber because all homicides, justified or not, go before a grand jury. My guess is the patron has warrants or something that make him leery of dealing with police. Or, he's a convicted felon who can't possess a firearm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston