Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2023, 07:58 AM

3,141 posts, read 2,045,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by utche96 View Post
There is plenty of proof. More police and more criminals incarcerated in the 90s is exactly what got the crime rate down. You can gaslight all you want. The numbers are clear for anyone to see.
Yep, facts. It's not hard to look at the correlation and see that if violent people spend less time on the streets and more time in jail, they have less opportunity to commit crimes. Soft on crime policies just create more opportunities in the long run.

But hey, some will find a way to believe the pee is nothing more than yellow rain no matter what common sense might tell them. They won't learn until they experience it for themselves enough to finally admit that they have to try something different. Some people are career criminals and they shouldn't keep receiving chance after chance to recidivate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I would choose Austin for many reasons including crime. Im probably biased as I graduated from UT Austin.
I graduated from UT as well and couldn't wait to leave that place. Highly overrated city though I will say it's definitely a better city today than it was a decade or so ago and keeps improving. But my entire group of friends left Austin after graduating, primarily to Houston, Dallas, and DC. Crime wasn't a concern in any way at that time for any of the cities. In fact I'm not sure I've ever heard a young person cite crime as a reason not to move to a city, but I've heard plenty of people (of all ages) cite it as a reason to leave!

Old 03-07-2023, 08:11 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,935,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I have literally never heard this. The defense you generally hear is either what OP said or “we aren’t the safest but we aren’t near where St Louis/NOLA/Bmore are”.

Of course if we ever were the nations capital as you mention (I’m guessing in the 80s), that probably wasn’t said back then
The thought was, we can tolerate being the Wild West, because our economy is growing so much. This was in contrast with NYC, which became famous for rampant crime while its economy stagnated and its population fell in the 1960s-80s. And yes, we were the nation's murder capital (on a per capita basis I believe) for a couple years in the early 1980s. It was a wild time!

Old 03-07-2023, 08:15 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I think they shouldn't be locked up at all. Bullet in the back of the head on the courthouse steps. No more killing from that guy (or gal).
What about the innocent people that would certainly be executed doing that? As it is, we have executed people who are probably innocent recently. There is no coming back from the killing of an innocent person.

This is why am against the death penalty as it is currently practiced. Not because of some sanctity of life crap, but because if we execute one innocent person (which we certainly have), its not worth executing 100 Jeffrey Dahmers.

Old 03-07-2023, 09:08 AM

225 posts, read 135,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I graduated from UT as well and couldn't wait to leave that place. Highly overrated city though I will say it's definitely a better city today than it was a decade or so ago and keeps improving. But my entire group of friends left Austin after graduating, primarily to Houston, Dallas, and DC. Crime wasn't a concern in any way at that time for any of the cities. In fact I'm not sure I've ever heard a young person cite crime as a reason not to move to a city, but I've heard plenty of people (of all ages) cite it as a reason to leave!
Its overrated but would still take it over Houston. So much more to do outside and generally a much prettier, less flat city. Different strokes.

Old 03-07-2023, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Its overrated but would still take it over Houston. So much more to do outside and generally a much prettier, less flat city. Different strokes.
Fair enough. The outdoors is definitely the best thing about Austin and why I still enjoy visiting.

But the rest of the city outside of the pretty hills and rivers leaves a lot to be desired socially, especially compared to a socially dynamic city like Houston. As a place to actually live I'll take Houston 100 times out of 100.

Old 03-07-2023, 09:34 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Fair enough. The outdoors is definitely the best thing about Austin and why I still enjoy visiting.

But the rest of the city outside of the pretty hills and rivers leaves a lot to be desired socially, especially compared to a socially dynamic city like Houston. As a place to actually live I'll take Houston 100 times out of 100.
Yeah, Houston all day every day over Austin for me.

That doesn't mean there aren't things better about Austin, but the diversity, food, and culture scenes are so much more broad and encompassing here. As a Middle Eastern guy, I feel so much more comfortable in Houston not because I think Austin is bigoted or anything like that, but because there is so much more in my culture here food and people wise.

Old 03-07-2023, 10:10 AM

15,416 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I think they shouldn't be locked up at all. Bullet in the back of the head on the courthouse steps. No more killing from that guy (or gal).

'Very few' is the answer because the number of convicted/released killers is lower than other offenders to begin with. Recidivism stats don't lie.

Don't tell me prisons don't work... because they sure as hell do work.
So, if your wife or child drove drunk and killed someone, you would be perfectly fine with them being executed?

Old 03-07-2023, 03:48 PM

4,838 posts, read 3,264,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
So, if your wife or child drove drunk and killed someone, you would be perfectly fine with them being executed?
In most cases, that's not considered murder. And you know it. If my wife or child decided to hold up a 7-11 and killed the cashier, then yep... they did the crime. Pay attention kids!

I'm sure it won't surprise you that I have no sympathy for drunk drivers, either.

Old 03-19-2023, 12:52 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,917 times
After reading this heartbreaking story, I can only hope these judges get off their a$$e$ and do their jobs.
https://abc13.com/chinatown-robbery-...ured/12975485/

Good news is SB402 was passed by the state senate last week, hopefully we can get these murders currently out on bond into the courts.
https://www.fox26houston.com/news/ma...n-texas-senate

"At 52 (cases resolved) out of 500 being filed a year, it will take me 10 years just to dig out of the backlog of 2022," said Ogg. "Add that to my existing backlog and Houston we have a problem. We need help."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston