Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2024, 12:02 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,043,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterdark80 View Post
Crime in Houston being completely out of control is 100% the fault of the Democratic leadership of the CoH and Harris County over the past several years. The irony is, the most affected by this rampant crime are the same idiots who vote for Democrats.
Reap what you sow, you deserve it.
But crime in Houston isn't completely out of control. Houston has never been the safest (or most dangerous) place in the world. Crime was objectively higher back in the Tommy Thomas/Chuck Rosenthal days when the county government was dominated by Republicans.

Partisan blame is, as per usual, not the reason for the issues we have. The conduct and quality of the population is responsible for crime, not our elected officials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2024, 02:03 PM

9,847 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
But crime in Houston isn't completely out of control. Houston has never been the safest (or most dangerous) place in the world. Crime was objectively higher back in the Tommy Thomas/Chuck Rosenthal days when the county government was dominated by Republicans.

Partisan blame is, as per usual, not the reason for the issues we have. The conduct and quality of the population is responsible for crime, not our elected officials.
Yeah. Anytime you hear someone suck off the republican paryu (like the poster you quoted), or the Democratic Party either way, they don’t have to do a single thing to retain those voters. Hopefully more people in the future start expecting results rather than straight ticket

Old 03-19-2024, 03:18 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterdark80 View Post
Crime in Houston being completely out of control is 100% the fault of the Democratic leadership of the CoH and Harris County over the past several years. The irony is, the most affected by this rampant crime are the same idiots who vote for Democrats.
Reap what you sow, you deserve it.
Congratulations, you are part of a cult.

Old 03-19-2024, 04:48 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,043,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Yeah. Anytime you hear someone suck off the republican paryu (like the poster you quoted), or the Democratic Party either way, they don’t have to do a single thing to retain those voters. Hopefully more people in the future start expecting results rather than straight ticket
Amen, brother. You have much more power by holding parties accountable and making them earn your vote. The lazy partisan cheerleaders do exactly what the party wants for them to and rarely get anything in return.

Old 03-20-2024, 01:40 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,214,982 times
when a white person does it - its not political - a minority does it cause of political parties lol

who to blame on the guys soliciting minors as they seem to be one race? libertarians?

Old 03-26-2024, 04:41 PM

269 posts, read 117,840 times
Default Take drugs off the streets

This would drastically reduce crime. I don't think you realize how many people are on drugs and these drugs nowadays are serious.

Old 03-27-2024, 06:32 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas100 View Post
This would drastically reduce crime. I don't think you realize how many people are on drugs and these drugs nowadays are serious.
We tried that in the war on drugs. That was in the 80s and 90s when crime was at an all time high. Im not arguing for the legalization of anything besides Marijuana which should have been legalized long ago, but being heavy handed against it never works.

Old 03-27-2024, 01:14 PM

225 posts, read 135,183 times
https://www.khou.com/article/news/cr...5-ad8997fb98cc

Apparently shooting an unarmed driver trapped in his car on a public road is only considered manslaughter by jurors in Houston. The jury then hung on sentencing because a couple rogue jurors wanted to let the murdered walk with time served. Now the entire trial has to be redone just for the purpose of sentencing. Houston is hopeless.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:08 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utche96 View Post
https://www.khou.com/article/news/cr...5-ad8997fb98cc

Apparently shooting an unarmed driver trapped in his car on a public road is only considered manslaughter by jurors in Houston. The jury then hung on sentencing because a couple rogue jurors wanted to let the murdered walk with time served. Now the entire trial has to be redone just for the purpose of sentencing. Houston is hopeless.
I'll say up front that I am not presenting my opinion on whether the defendant was guilty of anything, since I haven't seen anything but the documents on the District Clerk's site.

Did you hear all the evidence? Did you hear the case the defense presented? If not, then there's no basis for your conclusions.

In the jury notes, related to whether the defendant was guilty, there is one that says the jury is split 9-3 manslaughter/not guilty. There's another note where they are split 10-2. They finally reached a unanimous verdict. Either the evidence was inconclusive or the DA failed to present a fully convincing case, or the defense attorney did a stellar job.

The linked news article is from December, so this happened several months ago.

Old 03-28-2024, 06:24 AM

225 posts, read 135,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I'll say up front that I am not presenting my opinion on whether the defendant was guilty of anything, since I haven't seen anything but the documents on the District Clerk's site.

Did you hear all the evidence? Did you hear the case the defense presented? If not, then there's no basis for your conclusions.

In the jury notes, related to whether the defendant was guilty, there is one that says the jury is split 9-3 manslaughter/not guilty. There's another note where they are split 10-2. They finally reached a unanimous verdict. Either the evidence was inconclusive or the DA failed to present a fully convincing case, or the defense attorney did a stellar job.

The linked news article is from December, so this happened several months ago.
So I did follow the case closely and heard first hand reports of people who did attend the trial. It was a strong case with eyewitnesses. I was interested in the trial since I knew the victim who was an amazing guy. Truly a tragedy for his wife, kids, and his multitude of friends.

My understanding from the jury exit interview (based on what the DA shared with the family / friends) is that the manslaughter verdict was a compromise between jurors who wanted murder vs not guilty. There were also claims of political biases of the holdout jurors which drove their views on the case.

There simply is no way to comprehend how a reasonable, unbiased jury could conclude manslaughter. The victim was unarmed and trapped in a vehicle surrounded by the defendant and his criminal associates.

I find your comment about the date of the article to be puzzling. It's as if December was decades ago and this incident is irrelevant to the current state of crime in Houston? Furthermore the trial is still on-going since the sentencing phase is not yet complete.

Last edited by utche96; 03-28-2024 at 06:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston