Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2021, 10:24 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,456,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
....but unless you happen to live in Spring Branch, you're driving to Spring Branch to get to them. Korean scarcely exists in Houston outside of there. You probably won't have to go as far to get to a good one in Dallas.
Yeah.....I was just randomly naming a type of food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 10:27 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,514,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I'm not to familiar with Korean food in either...I just used that as an example. Switch "Korean" out with any cuisine that fits the shoe.
Id switch out Korean with Chinese. That would make your example more accurate.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:00 AM

3,169 posts, read 2,057,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Id switch out Korean with Chinese. That would make your example more accurate.
Haha yeah Korean is one cuisine Dallas DEFINITELY has the advantage in. Houston's Korean food scene is average at best (of course, I'm coming from the DMV, which is #1 or #2 in the country in terms of Korean food).

Old 06-21-2021, 02:44 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,456,974 times
Soul Food is one area where they say Houston is better....Dallas has some killer soul food places though....go figure!!

Old 06-21-2021, 04:00 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,176,383 times
Quote:
Soul Food is one area where they say Houston is better....Dallas has some killer soul food places though....go figure!!
Where are those good soul food places in Houston? I only know a handful and they aren't anything to write home about. On the other hand I do stay away from certain neighborhoods.

Old 06-21-2021, 09:46 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,220,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Where are those good soul food places in Houston? I only know a handful and they aren't anything to write home about. On the other hand I do stay away from certain neighborhoods.
lol - Soul Food is hyped up by some folks cause they feel comfortable in certain areas even though the food is average and then they don't review them like they should

Alot of folks will eat at Farmers Fresh Market off Cullen or the one off Mesa

The lines don't lie. $8 dollars gets you two-3 sides, meat and a drink.

Alot of the traditional, "trendy" spots have gotten too expensive and adopted a "lounge" concept.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:39 PM

16 posts, read 15,910 times
For food, it’s a near tie. I wouldn’t say Houston is overrated as a food city, but Dallas is just extremely underrated as a food city on another level. The one thing Houston has over Dallas is ethnic enclaves and signature dishes. But Dallas has just about everything you can find and leads in quite a bit of food genres. Even Viet Cajun for example is almost just as good in Dallas as it is in Houston these days.

For shopping, it’s a no brainer favoring Houston in my opinion. There’s just so many stores you can’t find in Dallas than you can in Houston. Some people point Dallas’ having brand loyalty for Neiman Marcus as the reason for this, but regardless of the reason, this is the case. I will say that there’s more upscale shopping areas in Dallas by number of locations, but none that equate to the River Oaks/Uptown/Post Oak corridor. And even then, the Woodlands is now establishing itself as a legit upscale shopping and dining destination on its own recently, giving the multiple places effect in Houston. Dallas was previously the leader but ever since investors poured in so much money to lure shops to Houston in the 2010s, it completely changed the game. I will say, though, that Dallas is better for the middle class while Houston is better for both high class and low class. Meaning for your common folk, Dallas has more family friendly shopping.

For nightlife, it’s a close call. I’d say Houston’s is more tourist friendly nightlife with the better Downtown and Midtown for people visiting. Having one of the hottest music festivals in the world right now also gives it popularity points. And not to mention celebrities like Drake and James Harden constantly talking about the strip clubs gives it popularity points too. This is probably part of the reason the Houston Super Bowls were seen as bigger successes in terms of overall events and vibes. But as a local, the nightlife in Dallas is just as good as in Houston.

Old 06-22-2021, 01:50 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,568,982 times
Houston’s better soul food spots are found in the hoods:

Alfreda’s Soul Food-3rd Ward, 2700 block of Blodgett. This is the only time I’ll drive across town for my soul food fix.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:24 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,628,204 times
Quote:
Houston seems to have more soul food restaurants than DFW. DFW restaurants are more spread out too across the metroplex which probably makes it feel like it's actually more in Houston MSA. So I'll give the edge in soul food and Black cuisine in general to Houston. Not every Black owned restaurant is soul food. But I'll say this, the best soul food spot I had was in Dallas.

Sweet Georgia Brown is one of my favorite soul food spots in the country. Also Aunt Irene's Kitchen in Dallas can go toe to toe w/ some of the best cajun/creole restaurants in Houston.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:41 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,514,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Houston seems to have more soul food restaurants than DFW. DFW restaurants are more spread out too across the metroplex which probably makes it feel like it's actually more in Houston MSA. So I'll give the edge in soul food and Black cuisine in general to Houston. Not every Black owned restaurant is soul food. But I'll say this, the best soul food spot I had was in Dallas.

Sweet Georgia Brown is one of my favorite soul food spots in the country. Also Aunt Irene's Kitchen in Dallas can go toe to toe w/ some of the best cajun/creole restaurants in Houston.
Given Houston and Dallas are such huge got spots for black migration, I would think both Houston and Dallas would excel in Soul Food. I loved going to Sweet Georgia Brown when I lived in Dallas. Buttons was a lot of fun too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston