Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2021, 03:30 PM

9,903 posts, read 6,612,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I don't care how you slice the bread.......Just because you say it doesn't make it true....
Just because you’re denying doesn’t take anything away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 11:22 PM

869 posts, read 320,073 times
Houston is top dog in the food arena.

Dallas is top dog in the cleanliness arena.

Houston has the edge in shopping (now).

Dallas has the better suburbs (although Houston has the BEST suburb of all in The Woodlands).

Nightlife is a toss-up, though I'd personally give the edge to Houston simply because of the abundance of upscale/semi-upscale black-owned lounges...which I like to frequent. Dallas kills it in OVERALL upscale establishments though.

Weather is another toss-up...both cities are absolutely miserable during the summer days, whereas DFW is somewhat more tolerable at night. Not by a huge margin though, unless there's a nice breeze. Only then can you feel the lower humidity in the air. Houston also has to worry about Hurricanes and flooding, whereas DFW is prone to Tornadoes and Hailstorms. And as we witnessed a month ago, Dallas isn't exactly immune to flooding either.

Houston does tend to be a far more laid-back type of city...Dallas, as I remember reading in some article a while ago "Is a city in which blue-book value determines right-of-way". I have no problem with Dallas at all...but even I gotta say that THAT statement is very true, lol.

Old 06-29-2021, 06:23 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,628,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post

Dallas has the better suburbs (although Houston has the BEST suburb of all in The Woodlands).

Nightlife is a toss-up, though I'd personally give the edge to Houston simply because of the abundance of upscale/semi-upscale black-owned lounges...which I like to frequent. Dallas kills it in OVERALL upscale establishments though.

Weather is another toss-up...both cities are absolutely miserable during the summer days, whereas DFW is somewhat more tolerable at night. Not by a huge margin though, unless there's a nice breeze. Only then can you feel the lower humidity in the air. Houston also has to worry about Hurricanes and flooding, whereas DFW is prone to Tornadoes and Hailstorms. And as we witnessed a month ago, Dallas isn't exactly immune to flooding either.

Houston does tend to be a far more laid-back type of city...Dallas, as I remember reading in some article a while ago "Is a city in which blue-book value determines right-of-way". I have no problem with Dallas at all...but even I gotta say that THAT statement is very true, lol.
Strongly disagree. I don't even think The Woodlands is the best suburb in Houston let alone the best of all. The Woodlands is the best looking suburb I'll give you that. It's the most aesthetically pleasing looking burb. But I lived there for a good 3 years. Outside of Market street/The waterway area it's pretty BORING and generic.

I'd choose Plano and Frisco over The Woodlands any day of the week. Way more interesting things to do in those 2 alone than what you get in The Woodlands.

Old 06-29-2021, 06:48 AM
kwr

254 posts, read 494,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post

Although, I don’t agree with all your statements, I have to say your post is one of the most balance posts I read on CD in quite some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Strongly disagree. I don't even think The Woodlands is the best suburb in Houston let alone the best of all. The Woodlands is the best looking suburb I'll give you that. It's the most aesthetically pleasing looking burb. But I lived there for a good 3 years. Outside of Market street/The waterway area it's pretty BORING and generic.

I'd choose Plano and Frisco over The Woodlands any day of the week. Way more interesting things to do in those 2 alone than what you get in The Woodlands.
I get your perspective. I do believe you just identified why The Woodlands is popular. The suburb likely would be even more popular if it was closer to Houston. The waterway area offers enough entertainment for the typical suburban homeowner. People buy in suburbs for uniformity (boring & generic). I’ve never heard someone say I want to live in a lit suburb. Those people typically prefer city living and if by chance they do buy in The Woodlands and eventually need more of a city vibe, they move similar to you.

Old 06-29-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

Meh...guess I was looking at it from the eye-pleasing standpoint. I live in Missouri City...which is WAAAAAAYYYYY on the other side of town...and I have no reason to spend any time in The Woodlands outside of driving through it on my way to North Texas. I have no reason to doubt your words though.

Old 06-29-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post
Although, I don’t agree with all your statements, I have to say your post is one of the most balance posts I read on CD in quite some time.

Which ones, in particular?

I get your perspective. I do believe you just identified why The Woodlands is popular. The suburb likely would be even more popular if it was closer to Houston. The waterway area offers enough entertainment for the typical suburban homeowner. People buy in suburbs for uniformity (boring & generic). I’ve never heard someone say I want to live in a lit suburb. Those people typically prefer city living and if by chance they do buy in The Woodlands and eventually need more of a city vibe, they move similar to you.
I agree 100 percent with this

Old 06-29-2021, 08:39 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,514,165 times
Quote:
I’ve never heard someone say I want to live in a lit suburb. Those people typically prefer city living and if by chance they do buy in The Woodlands and eventually need more of a city vibe, they move similar to you.
I hear people, all the time, say they want to live in a suburb that has everything. Not just good schools and big houses, but nightlife, good restaurants, and good jobs.

Old 06-29-2021, 08:46 AM

9,903 posts, read 6,612,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I hear people, all the time, say they want to live in a suburb that has everything. Not just good schools and big houses, but nightlife, good restaurants, and good jobs.
In this regard, Katy is by far the best suburb. With Sugar Land perhaps in second place. If I were to live in the suburbs, Katy would be my choice because of this. The Woodlands is the best suburb for people seeking a secluded upscale vibe, that’s just not me.

Kemah/Webster/League City honestly has an even bigger selection of good restaurants, nightlife, etc than any other suburb but the houses aren’t as nice and the vibe there is too conservative for me. Before someone says “But so is the Woodlands”, yes I know this. But people in the woodlands are conservative by choice, not the ultra conspiracy theorist types.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:04 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,176,383 times
Quote:
I don't agree with this. The only reason I live in a suburb is for the schools, and while I'm stuck here I'd like there to be more interesting things to do. People who like strong HOAs do exist for sure but there is a larger contingent who want more amenities in the suburbs now than twenty years ago.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:13 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,514,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
In this regard, Katy is by far the best suburb. With Sugar Land perhaps in second place. If I were to live in the suburbs, Katy would be my choice because of this. The Woodlands is the best suburb for people seeking a secluded upscale vibe, that’s just not me.

Kemah/Webster/League City honestly has an even bigger selection of good restaurants, nightlife, etc than any other suburb but the houses aren’t as nice and the vibe there is too conservative for me. Before someone says “But so is the Woodlands”, yes I know this. But people in the woodlands are conservative by choice, not the ultra conspiracy theorist types.
Where do you go for nightlife in Katy?

The most all encompassing suburb in the state is Plano, IMO. Frisco may overtake it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston