Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2021, 09:51 PM
kwr

254 posts, read 493,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Austin is by far the most expensive in Texas. San Antonio is only an hour away. The trickle down effect is real.
Austin has the highest average price of any city in TX. ;-) However, the most expensive homes in TX are actually located in Houston and Dallas. This is why looking at average and/or median prices can in some instances be misleading.

The wealth in Houston and Dallas easily dwarfs Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 10:37 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,448,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post
I’ve been waiting for you to post in this thread and glad you jumped in. Really enjoyed your Houston Lifestyle a Forum posts. You’re spot on with the shopping and it’s hard for Dallas boosters (looking at you Dallasboi) to accept the impact of the River Oaks District on the Houston’s luxury scenes. That mall has forced the Galleria to go even more upscale with the recent addition of a luxury wing.

For the most part, I agree with your post. Although, Dallas’ food scene is improving, it still needs to catch Austin first before equaling or surpassing Houston. Overall, Houston is still the best food city in TX. As I posted earlier in this thread, the international population diversity in Houston fuels the good scene.

https://247wallst.com/special-report...ities-in-2019/

Since 2020 was a down year due to the pandemic and the world is now re-opening, it will be interesting to see rankings for 2021.
looking at me for what....Houston is a great shopping city but I just don't see how River oaks caused Houston to surpass Dallas in the shopping category......It just wasn't enough...

Old 06-26-2021, 10:46 AM

https://traveltriangle.com/blog/shop...n-texas/..:ok:

Old 06-26-2021, 10:58 AM

9,855 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
looking at me for what....Houston is a great shopping city but I just don't see how River oaks caused Houston to surpass Dallas in the shopping category......It just wasn't enough...
It’s not River Oaks itself that made this happen. It’s the overall effect it had. Before ROD opened its door, it was already attracting all kinds of brands. Even flagships like the Flagship Dior, D&G, Moncler etc a lot of which were first to Texas. To be fair, though the brands didn’t choose Houston over Dallas just because they like Houston more, there was just more opportunity in a market that already had less to offer than it’s potential. Brands were looking to get into the Texas market and Houston had a platinum opportunity. But anyway, ROD even began stealing some tenants from the Galleria because it was that much better. So right then and there, the Galleria was forced to invest HEAVILY to be able to keep up with ROD’s momentum. Next thing you know their investments started paying off and they scored many of their own. Especially the new flagship Sak’s Fifth Ave which really made a statement.

But that said, all of that brought Houston and Dallas closer in this category than it did make Houston run away with it. Dallas was simply so much better before the turn of that decade and now it’s a matter of preference. The one main difference between the two is that Dallas has nothing as vast and concentrated as Houston’s Post Oak/Westheimer corridor while Dallas has multiple spots for this just none of which are as big as the Post Oak area. So pros and cons. In Houston you get everything all in one while in Dallas you have smaller but different spots around. Depending on the person, they may prefer one over the other. In Dallas you have Highland Park, Galleria, etc while in Houston you ONLY have Post Oak area it’s just the most grand area in TX. But it’s the only one in Houston other than the Woodlands.

As for why Houston is establishing more designers than Dallas, this is probably just a cultural thing since we are in an urban/hip-hop dominant culture now.

Old 06-26-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Let me fix your link: https://traveltriangle.com/blog/shopping-in-texas/

Anyway so what? Many best malls in USA include Galleria and don’t include NorthPark. Who’s to tell you who’s right in here?

https://www.travelchannel.com/intere...shopping-malls

Old 06-26-2021, 12:33 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,223 times
IMHO

Dallas for Shopping

Houston for Food

As for the original question, why is Houston cheaper...I think it's obvious from a neutral point of view.

Old 06-26-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Let me fix your link: https://traveltriangle.com/blog/shopping-in-texas/

Anyway so what? Many best malls in USA include Galleria and don’t include NorthPark. Who’s to tell you who’s right in here?

https://www.travelchannel.com/intere...shopping-malls
Link correction appreciated.

I just think this "Surpassing Dallas in shopping to become the best shopping city in Texas" syndrome is the same syndrome that Ft.Worth people have about surpassing Dallas in Population to become the largest city in the metroplex...It probably will happen...but it hasn't yet.

Everybody wants to pass Dallas in something...........but yet Dallas continues to be the most slept on city........go figure!!

Old 06-27-2021, 03:23 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,004 times
Quote:
Link correction appreciated.

I just think this "Surpassing Dallas in shopping to become the best shopping city in Texas" syndrome is the same syndrome that Ft.Worth people have about surpassing Dallas in Population to become the largest city in the metroplex...It probably will happen...but it hasn't yet.

Everybody wants to pass Dallas in something...........but yet Dallas continues to be the most slept on city........go figure!!
I don’t think anyone is sleeping on Dallas at all. If we’re honest, Dallas & Houston are more similar than they are different. Until someone brought it up, I always thought Dallas was top dog in shopping in Texas, but Houston has stepped up in that aspect. I rep Houston, but I give respect to Dallas because whenever I go to Dallas, I feel the similarities between Houston and Dallas.

Old 06-27-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
I don’t think anyone is sleeping on Dallas at all. If we’re honest, Dallas & Houston are more similar than they are different. Until someone brought it up, I always thought Dallas was top dog in shopping in Texas, but Houston has stepped up in that aspect. I rep Houston, but I give respect to Dallas because whenever I go to Dallas, I feel the similarities between Houston and Dallas.
He’s not wrong. Dallas is easily one of the most slept in cities in America. Texas in general is pretty slept on. But yes, you’re right Dallas historically was the top dog in Texas for shopping until the 2010s when things in Houston revolutionized. There’s A LOT you can find in Houston that you can’t in Dallas now. The Christian Dior selection in Houston has been a lot bigger than the one in Dallas ever since they opened the new flagship. Now with the Travis Scott partnership that probably will remain. Even small things like the Gucci beauty boutique and so forth. And Dallas has a lot as well that you can’t in Houston (I.e. Alexander McQueen).

Point is, today, it’s a matter of preference while pre 2010s, you’d be lying to yourself if you said Houston had better upscale shopping. At this point it’s a matter of which brands you prefer and if you rather an all inclusive area like Post Oak/river Oaks or if you like more but smaller locations like Highland Park/NorthPark, etc. Houston is “hotter” right now at bringing in new tenants. But that Dallas was before the 2010s. And even this is evening out now.

Old 06-28-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
He’s not wrong. Dallas is easily one of the most slept in cities in America. Texas in general is pretty slept on. But yes, you’re right Dallas historically was the top dog in Texas for shopping until the 2010s when things in Houston revolutionized. There’s A LOT you can find in Houston that you can’t in Dallas now. The Christian Dior selection in Houston has been a lot bigger than the one in Dallas ever since they opened the new flagship. Now with the Travis Scott partnership that probably will remain. Even small things like the Gucci beauty boutique and so forth. And Dallas has a lot as well that you can’t in Houston (I.e. Alexander McQueen).

Point is, today, it’s a matter of preference while pre 2010s, you’d be lying to yourself if you said Houston had better upscale shopping. At this point it’s a matter of which brands you prefer and if you rather an all inclusive area like Post Oak/river Oaks or if you like more but smaller locations like Highland Park/NorthPark, etc. Houston is “hotter” right now at bringing in new tenants. But that Dallas was before the 2010s. And even this is evening out now.
I don't care how you slice the bread.......Just because you say it doesn't make it true....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston