Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2021, 12:19 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,274,022 times

Advertisements

That's what treatment facilities are for right? This,country iis full of cities from water supply downstream. I'm quite sure Dallas is reusing someone else's water upstream from them, probably Oklahoma.

Last edited by stoneclaw; 07-27-2021 at 12:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 01:10 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,628,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Living in San Diego and just the aesthetics of both Cities Houston would be a much more appealing city. Dallas was pretty much Phoenix with a little bit of green. Flat and boring. I love the areas between Austin and Waco though. I will say Texans are, generally, the nicest people I have ever met.
Funny you say that because while I'll give Houston a nod over Dallas when it comes to greenery Houston is every bit of flat where else Dallas does have some hills. I'd even say Dallas has suburbs like Cedar Hill/ Grand Prairie area that's more scenic than anything in Houston metro including The Woodlands.

Now I have to assume you're referring to the Northern burbs which happen to be just as flat and generic looking as Houston. With that said where Dallas can tend to be a bit blend in their overall look I do like their architecture better than Houston. Dallas tends to be a bit more flash and neat within the actual city limits. Houston on the other hand is a mix bag and you have to drive through a lot of ugly to see the beauty. And I'd take bland over ugly any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
DFW beats Houston in a few areas. I think the Dallas Arboretum beats out the Houston Botanic Gardens (opened in 2020). The Fort Worth Zoo is probably better than the zoos in Dallas or Houston. DFW Airport beats out IAH for domestic travel. Dallas’ Meyerson Symphony Center is objectively a better venue for orchestral music than Jones Hall in Houston.

I think the issue with Dallas is it is diluted by all the other cities and towns surrounding it. It’s not a benefit having to share the metro with Fort Worth and all those little cities. Even though DFW has some great venues like AT&T Stadium. Its location is awful. The same can be said for Globe Life Field. Yes, DFW attracts the big events like the Super Bowl and College Football Championship. You can thank Jerry Jones for that because without AT&T Stadium that would likely not be the case. Even so, the experience is very spread out and doesn’t benefit the city of Dallas as much as it would if the stadiums were in Dallas.

When you think of Dallas what do you think of? I think most people would say The Dallas Cowboys, or maybe the 1980’s TV show “Dallas.” Even the economic diversity of DFW dilutes the identify of Dallas. What is it? Corporate HQ of America tax haven? Just like the area, no industry really dominates.

Houston, with all its warts, is still known as the Energy Capital of the WORLD, not the United States but the WORLD. Houston is also known for the Texas Medical Center, and although not as relevant today the fact that Mission Control was in Houston gave Houston an identify as Space City. Hence, we have the Astros, Rockets, Aeros, Comets (the last two no longer exist).

I’m not sure why Dallasites think Houston competes with Dallas. Look up any ranking of world cities and 99 out of 100 will have Houston ranked higher than Dallas. But OK, if you prefer Dallas to Houston that is your prerogative. You are entitled to hometown bias. I prefer Houston to Chicago, but objectively Chicago is the more world-class city.
I'll be honest, the average American wouldn't be attracted to a city being the Energy Capital of the world nor having the largest Medical center or space program. Hell, I live in the energy corridor and this area doesn't really benefit from having all the energy companies located in the area.

Me personally I don't have a dog in the fight. I live in Houston and prefer either city over the other depending on what exactly it is. 10 years ago if you would have asked me this same question, I would have said Houston without hesitation. Now fast forward and I'm hesitating to say Houston is just running away with this.

Sure, I'll give you this that Houston has more centralized sport venues than Dallas so in a way Houston does benefit on that level. Eado benefits from having the Astros and Dynamo play in their backyard but Houston has to step it up and make Eado more pedestrian friendly. Yes it's getting there but still has a ways to go.

And even though Dallas lacks when it comes to a cohesive sporting experience they make up for in walkable offerings. Dallas isn't some walking paradise but they do a better job than Houston and in a way that does make a bit of a difference.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:35 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,029,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
And even though Dallas lacks when it comes to a cohesive sporting experience they make up for in walkable offerings. Dallas isn't some walking paradise but they do a better job than Houston and in a way that does make a bit of a difference.

What exactly are you referring to? Walkable offerings in Arlington around AT&T Stadium and Globe Life Field? Texas Live? Or are you referring to Deep Ellum and other places in Dallas?

If I'm going to the Superbowl in Arlington I would have to take a car to get to Deep Ellum or Sundance Square in Fort Worth.

In Houston the events are much more cohesive and centralized... you can be in EADO or at Discovery Green, or Main Street then walk to the train to get to NRG. You already mentioned that Minute Maid Park and BBVA Stadium are next to EADO and Downtown.

Houston can do better at being more walkable. I think some neighborhoods like The Heights are trending in that direction.

I would really like to see Houston create some strategic "Park & Rides" near the various Light Rail stations. If I could go park my car and then catch the rail to get to the Museum District I would do that...but for now it is easier for me to just drive to the Museum District and park, rather than mess with the rail. For sporting events, however, I will park downtown and catch the rail to the event. That is a much better game day experience for me than fighting for parking and game day traffic. I do this for UH and NRG events.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:37 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Quote:
[/b]

What exactly are you referring to? Walkable offerings in Arlington around AT&T Stadium and Globe Life Field? Texas Live? Or are you referring to Deep Ellum and other places in Dallas?

If I'm going to the Superbowl in Arlington I would have to take a car to get to Deep Ellum or Sundance Square in Fort Worth.

In Houston the events are much more cohesive and centralized... you can be in EADO or at Discovery Green, or Main Street then walk to the train to get to NRG. You already mentioned that Minute Maid Park and BBVA Stadium are next to EADO and Downtown.

Houston can do better at being more walkable. I think some neighborhoods like The Heights are trending in that direction.

I would really like to see Houston create some strategic "Park & Rides" near the various Light Rail stations. If I could go park my car and then catch the rail to get to the Museum District I would do that...but for now it is easier for me to just drive to the Museum District and park, rather than mess with the rail. For sporting events, however, I will park downtown and catch the rail to the event. That is a much better game day experience for me than fighting for parking and game day traffic. I do this for UH and NRG events.
He's probably talking about how Dallas has more walkable areas like Deep Ellum, Jefferson Bl, Lowest Greenville, Bishop Arts, Uptown, etc. It also has more suburbs with traditional downtown cores like Arlington (which has come up a lot in the past few years), Grapevine, Plano, etc. Then you have other suburbs that are county seats with pretty large cores for their size like Denton and McKinney. All together it's certainly more variety than what Houston can offer as far as traditional walkable districts.

DFW didn't demolish/pave over as much of their core as Houston did. If Houston had DFW's mindset or if these areas were their own incorporated city (like Alief or Addicks), you'd see more walkable areas still standing or beefed up more.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:49 AM

869 posts, read 320,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend2000 View Post
As of last year Houston has more F500. I didn't realize they had a company enter into the F500. They have one more than Dallas now. I still think it's important. Businesses will flock to where other businesses are going. HQs and major operations are moving to TX in droves. It's good for the wellbeing of the area. DFW still has a more versatile offering. I guess a better gauge to consider is where are major companies or top 5000 companies relocating or being established. As far as gross metropolitan product.. i disagree with his numbers. I pulled numbers from Statista Research Department that posted in January 2021 DFW is at $528B and Houston is $458B.

And the sudden change just came from being tired of spinning wheels. It's not going anywhere. It's like liberal vs conservative. Waffles vs pancakes. Houston vs Dallas... You can go on and on why one is better than the other and make a good argument for either side.

I will say this to anyone considering the two: Spend three weeks in each and I'm sure Dallas would appeal to the eye more. There's plenty of opportunity in DFW that I'm highly skeptical exist the same way in Houston. And although Dallas may give off cold vibes, there's a suburb or neighborhood here for anyone. It's the people and culture of Houston that bring out the best of that city. Dallas people aren't as rude/crude as people make us out to be but our seemingly cold demeanor doesnt add points to the city like Houstonians do with their city. Dallas is very clique ish and people are more in a bubble.

To the first sentence: If you had said DFW instead of just Dallas, I would probably have agreed with you. But you didn't, which makes the statement false. Houston AS A CITY OWNS DALLAS...and that's just the plain truth.

To the second sentence: I'd REALLY like you to pinpoint what kind of opportunities exist in DFW that does not exist in Greater Houston. I guarantee that I can break each and every last one of them down.

Last edited by spacecitytx; 07-27-2021 at 11:08 AM..

Old 07-27-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Lol. That's why we have the engineers and they have the marketers. They are outstanding at marketing, you have to give DFW that. That area has always been even better than us (even though we had the Allen Brothers - the OG shady marketers) at selling dreams. But at the end of the day their shtick is always to make it seem like there's something amazing about that area that we don't have down here. There's not, and there never has been. It's always just been puffery but you have to usually dig through two or three layers of BS to see that.

Quality, beauty, desirability, all of this subjective stuff is always in the eye of the beholder. Too often, Houston people just accept these folks superiority complex but its been obvious to me for a long time that complex is just misplaced arrogance as opposed to actual superiority.

I just take it as one of those truisms of Texas at this point. Just like many Houston people are defensive when it comes to anything Dallas, many DFW people are delusional when they hem and haw about how awesome DFW is when compared to Houston. All I hear is the teacher from Peanuts.

Here, we make a ton of money, have some of the greatest food in the country, a nationally known nightlife scene, have a ton of greenery and great parks, a cultural scene second to none in Texas, and I've hit the beach in the cold months when they were getting 40-50 degree cold snaps in North Texas. I'm OK with our deficiencies as I feel like, even with them, its still the better look for my lifestyle. And apparently millions of others, many of whom could easily live in DFW or a lot of other places if they so chose.

If I really need to go see NASCAR or hockey (full disclosure - I don't), then DFW is very easy to get to.

To the bolded: I couldn't have said this better myself. There has never been any greater truth.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
DFW beats Houston in a few areas. I think the Dallas Arboretum beats out the Houston Botanic Gardens (opened in 2020). The Fort Worth Zoo is probably better than the zoos in Dallas or Houston. DFW Airport beats out IAH for domestic travel. Dallas’ Meyerson Symphony Center is objectively a better venue for orchestral music than Jones Hall in Houston.

I think the issue with Dallas is it is diluted by all the other cities and towns surrounding it. It’s not a benefit having to share the metro with Fort Worth and all those little cities. Even though DFW has some great venues like AT&T Stadium. Its location is awful. The same can be said for Globe Life Field. Yes, DFW attracts the big events like the Super Bowl and College Football Championship. You can thank Jerry Jones for that because without AT&T Stadium that would likely not be the case. Even so, the experience is very spread out and doesn’t benefit the city of Dallas as much as it would if the stadiums were in Dallas.

When you think of Dallas what do you think of? I think most people would say The Dallas Cowboys, or maybe the 1980’s TV show “Dallas.” Even the economic diversity of DFW dilutes the identify of Dallas. What is it? Corporate HQ of America tax haven? Just like the area, no industry really dominates.

Houston, with all its warts, is still known as the Energy Capital of the WORLD, not the United States but the WORLD. Houston is also known for the Texas Medical Center, and although not as relevant today the fact that Mission Control was in Houston gave Houston an identify as Space City. Hence, we have the Astros, Rockets, Aeros, Comets (the last two no longer exist).

I’m not sure why Dallasites think Houston competes with Dallas. Look up any ranking of world cities and 99 out of 100 will have Houston ranked higher than Dallas. But OK, if you prefer Dallas to Houston that is your prerogative. You are entitled to hometown bias. I prefer Houston to Chicago, but objectively Chicago is the more world-class city.

Same here...Chicago is the more world-class city...and I'm not salty about that in the least. It's well-deserved. Why can't Dallasites understand in the same way???

Old 07-27-2021, 11:07 AM

9,903 posts, read 6,612,278 times
I’m seeing two entirely separate arguments about walkability. Dallas has more neighborhood walkable areas yes. Period that’s all.

Houston has a much better events (not just sports). Every thing from NRG Park and not just Texas games but also events like the Rodeo, Astroworld Fest etc. Up to MMP and the Rockets being adjacent to EaDo and the bars on Main St with Midtown right between all this. This created a much more cohesive vibrant events environment that isn’t replicated in Dallas. This is why the super bowl was seen more successful in Houston.

Not sure why people are mixing these two arguments. Or how one “makes up for it”

Old 07-27-2021, 11:30 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
People have been talking about this district in Houston ever since the 2004 Super Bowl so it's nothing new. Hosting events is one thing and day-to-day living is another. When the NBA All Star game was last in Dallas all the parties were centralized in Dallas even though the game was going to be in Arlington. In the end I think what you're talking about is pretty minor. Where do you think everyone went to after Posty Fest in Dallas? In the end the core areas of Dallas are pretty close together and enough. Houston's is just bigger and it's culture is more of a party/going out one than Dallas.

Old 07-27-2021, 11:35 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,456,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’m seeing two entirely separate arguments about walkability. Dallas has more neighborhood walkable areas yes. Period that’s all.

Houston has a much better events (not just sports). Every thing from NRG Park and not just Texas games but also events like the Rodeo, Astroworld Fest etc. Up to MMP and the Rockets being adjacent to EaDo and the bars on Main St with Midtown right between all this. This created a much more cohesive vibrant events environment that isn’t replicated in Dallas. This is why the super bowl was seen more successful in Houston.

Not sure why people are mixing these two arguments. Or how one “makes up for it”
You have got to be Kidding!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston