Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2021, 09:12 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,274,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend2000 View Post
Lol,

You know what? I'm going to let you guys have this one. Y'all need some type of hope and joy to cling on to. It's cute. I don't want to steal that joy. I don't want to be the one to tell you Santa Claus isn't real.

When you are ready to stop slumming and experience quality, take that 3 hour drive up I45. Love y'all. We'll keep this in house. At the end of the day, we are both in TX and that's a win for both metros. I'd defend Houston to the death from an outsider but the banter here between us is just that. I have nothing but love and respect for Houston people and culture. Still, I prefer DFW infrastructure and money making opportunities. I'll admit, I'm established in DFW and have a very good network of successful friends in multiple industries so I'm bias.
And when you're ready to experience the realest city life that Texas has to offer (warts and all) instead of endless Suburbia, take that same drive down I-45.

All in all, i love both Metros and am glad we continue to be the State's two powerhouses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 09:56 PM

153 posts, read 110,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
This is a weird post? I was late to the party so I didn’t see above, but from my understanding, you mentioned DFW having more F500 companies than Houston, Clutch showed you that you were wrong. Which, yeah people make mistakes. But why the change of heart all of a sudden? You made a passionate post about why this is so important and now that it you realized you were wrong, it’s not important anymore?
As of last year Houston has more F500. I didn't realize they had a company enter into the F500. They have one more than Dallas now. I still think it's important. Businesses will flock to where other businesses are going. HQs and major operations are moving to TX in droves. It's good for the wellbeing of the area. DFW still has a more versatile offering. I guess a better gauge to consider is where are major companies or top 5000 companies relocating or being established. As far as gross metropolitan product.. i disagree with his numbers. I pulled numbers from Statista Research Department that posted in January 2021 DFW is at $528B and Houston is $458B.

And the sudden change just came from being tired of spinning wheels. It's not going anywhere. It's like liberal vs conservative. Waffles vs pancakes. Houston vs Dallas... You can go on and on why one is better than the other and make a good argument for either side.

I will say this to anyone considering the two: Spend three weeks in each and I'm sure Dallas would appeal to the eye more. There's plenty of opportunity in DFW that I'm highly skeptical exist the same way in Houston. And although Dallas may give off cold vibes, there's a suburb or neighborhood here for anyone. It's the people and culture of Houston that bring out the best of that city. Dallas people aren't as rude/crude as people make us out to be but our seemingly cold demeanor doesnt add points to the city like Houstonians do with their city. Dallas is very clique ish and people are more in a bubble.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:02 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Living in San Diego and just the aesthetics of both Cities Houston would be a much more appealing city. Dallas was pretty much Phoenix with a little bit of green. Flat and boring. I love the areas between Austin and Waco though. I will say Texans are, generally, the nicest people I have ever met.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:04 PM

3,169 posts, read 2,057,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
This is a weird post? I was late to the party so I didn’t see above, but from my understanding, you mentioned DFW having more F500 companies than Houston, Clutch showed you that you were wrong. Which, yeah people make mistakes. But why the change of heart all of a sudden? You made a passionate post about why this is so important and now that it you realized you were wrong, it’s not important anymore?
Lol. That's why we have the engineers and they have the marketers. They are outstanding at marketing, you have to give DFW that. That area has always been even better than us (even though we had the Allen Brothers - the OG shady marketers) at selling dreams. But at the end of the day their shtick is always to make it seem like there's something amazing about that area that we don't have down here. There's not, and there never has been. It's always just been puffery but you have to usually dig through two or three layers of BS to see that.

Quality, beauty, desirability, all of this subjective stuff is always in the eye of the beholder. Too often, Houston people just accept these folks superiority complex but its been obvious to me for a long time that complex is just misplaced arrogance as opposed to actual superiority.

I just take it as one of those truisms of Texas at this point. Just like many Houston people are defensive when it comes to anything Dallas, many DFW people are delusional when they hem and haw about how awesome DFW is when compared to Houston. All I hear is the teacher from Peanuts.

Here, we make a ton of money, have some of the greatest food in the country, a nationally known nightlife scene, have a ton of greenery and great parks, a cultural scene second to none in Texas, and I've hit the beach in the cold months when they were getting 40-50 degree cold snaps in North Texas. I'm OK with our deficiencies as I feel like, even with them, its still the better look for my lifestyle. And apparently millions of others, many of whom could easily live in DFW or a lot of other places if they so chose.

If I really need to go see NASCAR or hockey (full disclosure - I don't), then DFW is very easy to get to.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:08 PM

9,903 posts, read 6,612,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend2000 View Post
As of last year Houston has more F500. I didn't realize they had a company enter into the F500. They have one more than Dallas now. I still think it's important. Businesses will flock to where other businesses are going. HQs and major operations are moving to TX in droves. It's good for the wellbeing of the area. DFW still has a more versatile offering. I guess a better gauge to consider is where are major companies or top 5000 companies relocating or being established. As far as gross metropolitan product.. i disagree with his numbers. I pulled numbers from Statista Research Department that posted in January 2021 DFW is at $528B and Houston is $458B.

And the sudden change just came from being tired of spinning wheels. It's not going anywhere. It's like liberal vs conservative. Waffles vs pancakes. Houston vs Dallas... You can go on and on why one is better than the other and make a good argument for either side.

I will say this to anyone considering the two: Spend three weeks in each and I'm sure Dallas would appeal to the eye more. There's plenty of opportunity in DFW that I'm highly skeptical exist the same way in Houston. And although Dallas may give off cold vibes, there's a suburb or neighborhood here for anyone. It's the people and culture of Houston that bring out the best of that city. Dallas people aren't as rude/crude as people make us out to be but our seemingly cold demeanor doesnt add points to the city like Houstonians do with their city. Dallas is very clique ish and people are more in a bubble.
As mentioned above, I’m with you on F500s not being everything, this just isn’t what you said originally which is why I’m calling that out. As mentioned above, ExxonMobil benefits Houston A LOT more than it does DFW. Most their high paying employees are in Houston. Similarly, neither of the ultra high revenues of ExxonMobil nor McKesson are the most important companies to DFW. American Airlines has FAR lower revenues than both and is much more important to DFW.

Houston surpassing DFW was actually not just from gaining companies Dallas lost some as well. Most notoriously, JC Penny got acquired and was forced to abandon their headquarters. They are currently homeless and will likely end up consolidating with their parent of Simon Properties. Ironically, Academy Sports + Outdoors was one of the companies Houston gained and it is now the largest publicly traded retail company out of Texas.

Your second paragraph is ridiculous. Come on now. I get the pride but calm down. I have spent a lot more than 3 weeks in both and I love both but I enjoy Houston a lot more for many reasons. Many may either agree or disagree.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Lol. That's why we have the engineers and they have the marketers. They are outstanding at marketing, you have to give DFW that. That area has always been even better than us (even though we had the Allen Brothers - the OG shady marketers) at selling dreams. But at the end of the day their shtick is always to make it seem like there's something amazing about that area that we don't have down here. There's not, and there never has been. It's always just been puffery but you have to usually dig through two or three layers of BS to see that.

Quality, beauty, desirability, all of this subjective stuff is always in the eye of the beholder. Too often, Houston people just accept these folks superiority complex but its been obvious to me for a long time that complex is just misplaced arrogance as opposed to actual superiority.

I just take it as one of those truisms of Texas at this point. Just like many Houston people are defensive when it comes to anything Dallas, many DFW people are delusional when they hem and haw about how awesome DFW is when compared to Houston. All I hear is the teacher from Peanuts.

Here, we make a ton of money, have some of the greatest food in the country, a nationally known nightlife scene, have a ton of greenery and great parks, a cultural scene second to none in Texas, and I've hit the beach in the cold months when they were getting 40-50 degree cold snaps in North Texas. I'm OK with our deficiencies as I feel like, even with them, its still the better look for my lifestyle. And apparently millions of others, many of whom could easily live in DFW or a lot of other places if they so chose.

If I really need to go see NASCAR or hockey (full disclosure - I don't), then DFW is very easy to get to.
Lol. Whatever. Don't stay up here too long. You may want to move and we are getting too crowded. We're trying to send people down your way. The prime real estate in NTX is running out. We tell em to head south to the swamp down there by the gulf. Every time a toilet flushes in DFW, it runs straight down I45 to the Houston metro.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:39 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,029,766 times
DFW beats Houston in a few areas. I think the Dallas Arboretum beats out the Houston Botanic Gardens (opened in 2020). The Fort Worth Zoo is probably better than the zoos in Dallas or Houston. DFW Airport beats out IAH for domestic travel. Dallas’ Meyerson Symphony Center is objectively a better venue for orchestral music than Jones Hall in Houston.

I think the issue with Dallas is it is diluted by all the other cities and towns surrounding it. It’s not a benefit having to share the metro with Fort Worth and all those little cities. Even though DFW has some great venues like AT&T Stadium. Its location is awful. The same can be said for Globe Life Field. Yes, DFW attracts the big events like the Super Bowl and College Football Championship. You can thank Jerry Jones for that because without AT&T Stadium that would likely not be the case. Even so, the experience is very spread out and doesn’t benefit the city of Dallas as much as it would if the stadiums were in Dallas.

When you think of Dallas what do you think of? I think most people would say The Dallas Cowboys, or maybe the 1980’s TV show “Dallas.” Even the economic diversity of DFW dilutes the identify of Dallas. What is it? Corporate HQ of America tax haven? Just like the area, no industry really dominates.

Houston, with all its warts, is still known as the Energy Capital of the WORLD, not the United States but the WORLD. Houston is also known for the Texas Medical Center, and although not as relevant today the fact that Mission Control was in Houston gave Houston an identify as Space City. Hence, we have the Astros, Rockets, Aeros, Comets (the last two no longer exist).

I’m not sure why Dallasites think Houston competes with Dallas. Look up any ranking of world cities and 99 out of 100 will have Houston ranked higher than Dallas. But OK, if you prefer Dallas to Houston that is your prerogative. You are entitled to hometown bias. I prefer Houston to Chicago, but objectively Chicago is the more world-class city.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:53 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,456,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
DFW beats Houston in a few areas. I think the Dallas Arboretum beats out the Houston Botanic Gardens (opened in 2020). The Fort Worth Zoo is probably better than the zoos in Dallas or Houston. DFW Airport beats out IAH for domestic travel. Dallas’ Meyerson Symphony Center is objectively a better venue for orchestral music than Jones Hall in Houston.

I think the issue with Dallas is it is diluted by all the other cities and towns surrounding it. It’s not a benefit having to share the metro with Fort Worth and all those little cities. Even though DFW has some great venues like AT&T Stadium. Its location is awful. The same can be said for Globe Life Field. Yes, DFW attracts the big events like the Super Bowl and College Football Championship. You can thank Jerry Jones for that because without AT&T Stadium that would likely not be the case. Even so, the experience is very spread out and doesn’t benefit the city of Dallas as much as it would if the stadiums were in Dallas.

When you think of Dallas what do you think of? I think most people would say The Dallas Cowboys, or maybe the 1980’s TV show “Dallas.” Even the economic diversity of DFW dilutes the identify of Dallas. What is it? Corporate HQ of America tax haven? Just like the area, no industry really dominates.

Houston, with all its warts, is still known as the Energy Capital of the WORLD, not the United States but the WORLD. Houston is also known for the Texas Medical Center, and although not as relevant today the fact that Mission Control was in Houston gave Houston an identify as Space City. Hence, we have the Astros, Rockets, Aeros, Comets (the last two no longer exist).

I’m not sure why Dallasites think Houston competes with Dallas. Look up any ranking of world cities and 99 out of 100 will have Houston ranked higher than Dallas. But OK, if you prefer Dallas to Houston that is your prerogative. You are entitled to hometown bias. I prefer Houston to Chicago, but objectively Chicago is the more world-class city.
ok....I see a lot of people's feelings getting involved, People in Dallas Love Houston and will say it....It's just that it's against Houstonians culture to admit where Dallas shines more......Both cities are Powerhouses whether it's admitted or not....There's nothing wrong with not being #1 in everything......neither is perfect.

Just give props where they are due without worming around it.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:18 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,029,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
ok....I see a lot of people's feelings getting involved, People in Dallas Love Houston and will say it....It's just that it's against Houstonians culture to admit where Dallas shines more......Both cities are Powerhouses whether it's admitted or not....There's nothing wrong with not being #1 in everything......neither is perfect.

Just give props where they are due without worming around it.
@Dallasboi, you are the exception to the rule which is why I respect your posts and the way you defend your city. IAMLegion unfortunately is usually the norm when it comes to Dallasites and how they think about Houston (i.e., “we send our toilet water there, to Houston is the armpit of Texas”). I’ve heard it all….

Old 07-26-2021, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
@Dallasboi, you are the exception to the rule which is why I respect your posts and the way you defend your city. IAMLegion unfortunately is usually the norm when it comes to Dallasites and how they think about Houston (i.e., “we send our toilet water there, to Houston is the armpit of Texas”). I’ve heard it all….
Lol. Give me props. I did good giving Houston credit where it's due. Then Mr. Clutch came on and went for the jugular calling us delusional and we are all great marketers up here selling BS about how good the metro is. I went into defense mode. Fight or flight. I already stated I have respect for Houston. DFW raised me, educated me, gave me a great quality of life. I'm going to defend it. I have no choice. I'm loyal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston