Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2021, 04:35 PM

9,889 posts, read 6,589,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Well let's see the top posters from this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/misc...sted&t=3277459
Lol good point. I didn’t realize it was going on as long as it was. I was active for the first half and didn’t check in until towards the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 10:26 PM

869 posts, read 319,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend2000 View Post
Dude, get real. Houston metro doesn't outshine DFW the way City of Chicago outshines City of Houston.

Bwahahahaha!!!! Except that it really DOES! In any Houston Vs Dallas Debate, it is IMPERATIVE that the whole metropolitan area of DFW is involved, versus just the CITY OF HOUSTON itself. Otherwise, the OBVIOUS winner would be Houston, Tx. And if you add in the fact that the WHOLE stronghold of DFW is 500k more people stronger than Greater Houston, yet is only a minimal percentage GDP-wise in the lead...that says a hell of a lot about who's REALLY winning here.

And Chicago DOES INDEED outshine the city of Houston, being that it's a lot older and has been on the national and international scene a lot longer...yet the fact that Houston is about to surpass Chicago as the nation's 3rd largest city (and it really already is in land size) in just a couple of years says a lot. In this regard, you should really give it up. You win in metro...I win in actual CITY.

Just think of it this way...imagine Dallas in North Texas existing BY ITSELF (meaning no FW and all of the little satellite suburbs surrounding it) Versus Houston in South Texas existing BY ITSELF (meaning no Galveston and all of the other little satellite cities surrounding it)...it's EXTREMELY CLEAR who wins this battle. Bottom line, I only separate Dallas from the rest of the metroplex because homers like you only flex that muscle when trying to upstage Houston in some way...except that it's really not an upstage when you're only 2 or 3 points ahead of Houston economically while sporting 500k more souls in the entire area. It's really sad as hell when you think about it

Old 07-28-2021, 06:35 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
I'm trying my best to stay out of this banter.

This battle has been going on for decades. IamLegend makes good points in his defense on DFW, but falls short when he's uses other metros to downplay Dallas's reliance on FW.

I said it before and I'll say it again, the difference between those areas whether it be Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Chicago, LA, The twin cities, Houston-Galveston is none of them have the 5th largest city in Texas and 12th largest in the country. For a city to rank that high, it shows that it has sheer significance. Hell, it's only 3 ranks away from Dallas.

What agitates most Houstonians is when some Dallasites act like they're so much better than Houston, and that they do it all by themselves. Ft. Worth is often ignored in most arguments with Dallas, but convieniently includes FW numbers when convienient.

And as far as the Bay area, nobody thinks of just San Fransisco anymore, especially if they try to compare it to L.A

Last edited by stoneclaw; 07-28-2021 at 06:47 AM..

Old 07-28-2021, 07:32 AM

869 posts, read 319,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I'm trying my best to stay out of this banter.

This battle has been going on for decades. IamLegend makes good points in his defense on DFW, but falls short when he's uses other metros to downplay Dallas's reliance on FW.

I said it before and I'll say it again, the difference between those areas whether it be Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Chicago, LA, The twin cities, Houston-Galveston is none of them have the 5th largest city in Texas and 12th largest in the country. For a city to rank that high, it shows that it has sheer significance. Hell, it's only 3 ranks away from Dallas.

What agitates most Houstonians is when some Dallasites act like they're so much better than Houston, and that they do it all by themselves. Ft. Worth is often ignored in most arguments with Dallas, but convieniently includes FW numbers when convienient.

And as far as the Bay area, nobody thinks of just San Fransisco anymore, especially if they try to compare it to L.A

And it's THE BOLDED statement that gets my blood boiling. You hit the nail on the head. That's EXACTLY what it is.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:51 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
[/b]

What exactly are you referring to? Walkable offerings in Arlington around AT&T Stadium and Globe Life Field? Texas Live? Or are you referring to Deep Ellum and other places in Dallas?

If I'm going to the Superbowl in Arlington I would have to take a car to get to Deep Ellum or Sundance Square in Fort Worth.

In Houston the events are much more cohesive and centralized... you can be in EADO or at Discovery Green, or Main Street then walk to the train to get to NRG. You already mentioned that Minute Maid Park and BBVA Stadium are next to EADO and Downtown.

Houston can do better at being more walkable. I think some neighborhoods like The Heights are trending in that direction.

I would really like to see Houston create some strategic "Park & Rides" near the various Light Rail stations. If I could go park my car and then catch the rail to get to the Museum District I would do that...but for now it is easier for me to just drive to the Museum District and park, rather than mess with the rail. For sporting events, however, I will park downtown and catch the rail to the event. That is a much better game day experience for me than fighting for parking and game day traffic. I do this for UH and NRG events.
I'm referring to Dallas day to day walkable neighborhoods in comparison to Houston's conveniently built stadiums in it's city core. I know a weird comparison but I think a day to day basis is much more important than a every once in awhile event.

Trust me having the Astros and Dynamo play in close proximity to EADO does benefit the city. I've been to that area plenty of times on game day and had a good time. Houston is definitely the better host city when it comes to sporting events. But I think Dallas is more cohesive when it comes to having better pedestrian friendly neighborhoods in it's city core. You'll still need a car even in the most urban areas of both cities. But Dallas urban core is more pedestrian friendly than Houston's urban core. And there are neighborhoods in Houston that are trending in a more walkable direction but because they're not fully there yet I can't put them on the same level as some of Dallas more walkable areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’m seeing two entirely separate arguments about walkability. Dallas has more neighborhood walkable areas yes. Period that’s all.

Houston has a much better events (not just sports). Every thing from NRG Park and not just Texas games but also events like the Rodeo, Astroworld Fest etc. Up to MMP and the Rockets being adjacent to EaDo and the bars on Main St with Midtown right between all this. This created a much more cohesive vibrant events environment that isn’t replicated in Dallas. This is why the super bowl was seen more successful in Houston.

Not sure why people are mixing these two arguments. Or how one “makes up for it”
Outside of Houston's centralized location when it comes to stadiums/arenas, Houston and Dallas are pretty much even when it comes to annual events and how their utilized in the cities cores. I can say one has a clear advantage over the other. Yeah Astroworld is cool and surreal to have, but it's not like Dallas doesn't do a good job of using their neighborhoods to host successful events. If I'm not mistaken both The Rodeo and the Texas state Fair drew in around 2.5 million visitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
[/b]

Why do people keep saying this?? The two cities are NOT similar in status or size. DFW is similar to HOUSTON in status and size. Not Dallas, Tx.

And HERE is where the miscommunication lies. It takes the WHOLE of DFW to compete with JUST Houston as a city. The Greater Houston metro is mostly an afterthought. Everyone knows that DFW is the clear winner as a metro (I mean...that's not hard to do with 500k more people to work with).
I have no dog in the fight, but Houston is more "significant" than Dallas because of it's size and size only. Even with Houston's larger size let's be honest there's not much to boast about as far as cultural offerings and experiences outside the Inner loop. And not all of the inner loop is that interesting. There's a few communities outside the loop that are decent to ok but nothing I'd brag about either. I think a more fair comparison would be Houston's inner loop vs. Dallas Loop 12. If we did that, it'll be a lot closer than people think.

And me personally, I probably prefer Houston's inner loop more than Loop 12 but that's only because I'm Black. I feel like Houston's inner loop offers more in that category but if I take race out the equation and just look at what both offer on a general level. Dallas imo probably wins by a smidget.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:59 AM

8,346 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
And it's THE BOLDED statement that gets my blood boiling. You hit the nail on the head. That's EXACTLY what it is.
It makes your blood boil?

What makes my blood boil is cruelty to animals, but I guess we all have triggers.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:20 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

And me personally, I probably prefer Houston's inner loop more than Loop 12 but that's only because I'm Black. I feel like Houston's inner loop offers more in that category but if I take race out the equation and just look at what both offer on a general level. Dallas imo probably wins by a smidget.
I respect your opinion, but your post suggests that you think Houston's inner loop advantages over Loop 12 are primarily catered around black folks, and I have to question that. I'm black, but the main black areas that comes to mind is 3rd and 5th wards. Yes TSU is important, but then you have Rice U, the diversity of Uof H , the Heights, Midtown, Rice Military, River Oaks, Upper Kirby, the eclectic Montrose, Buffalo Bayou Park area, various Museums. There's still alot of areas that are not centered around African Americans that i haven't mentioned.

I will admit that Dallas's most urban areas are more interesting and more cohesive than Houston's. But as Houston makes additions such as the opening of the long awaited Regent Square and the upcoming East River development, that gap will close. Houston still has the advantage of having the more diverse neighborhoods of the two in culture, housing style, and layout.

Last edited by stoneclaw; 07-28-2021 at 09:45 AM..

Old 07-28-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
It makes your blood boil?

What makes my blood boil is cruelty to animals, but I guess we all have triggers.
How about cruelty to humans and the corrupt prison and legal systems?

Old 07-28-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I respect your opinion, but i have to question why you think Houston's inner loop advantages are primarily catered to black folks. I'm black, but the main black area that comes to mind is 4th and 5th wards. Yes TSU is important, but then you have Rice U, the diversity of Uof H , the Heights, Midtown, Rice Military, River Oaks, Upper Kirby, the eclectic Montrose, Buffalo Bayou Park area. There's still alot of areas that are not centered around African American that i haven't mentioned.
How about the “Turkey Leg Hur District”

Old 07-28-2021, 09:25 AM

8,346 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
How about cruelty to humans and the corrupt prison and legal systems?
Cruelty in general does regardless of who its to. Animals, children, and the elderly is what really does it because those groups are defenseless. For profit prisons absolutely do too.

I brought that up because, frankly, none of this should make anyone's blood boil. No one should be getting this worked up about it. It shows a complete lack of perspective. Were comparing two relatively similar urban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston