Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2021, 10:20 AM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

Didn't make the claim Dallas was a leisure hub. There you go exaggerating when I give Dallas props over Houston. I said Dallas gets more tourist than Houston. That's a fact. It's as simple as that. Maybe Houston should do a better job attracting tourist to the city. Apparently Dallas has.

Dallas is still more recognizable in pop culture overall than Houston. Like I stated, Houston wins in Black pop culture. But there's a world outside of Black people and Dallas is just more popular. Rather you dismiss these shows or not these filmmakers still choose Dallas as a location instead of Houston.

Also Umbrella Academy was one of Netflix most streamed shows in a long time.
https://www.businessinsider.com/umbr...witcher-2020-9

And here you are talking about My 600 lb life and an occasional visit to NASA on Big Bang Theory? This is why Houston has more of a marketing image than Dallas. And I highly doubt the elderly would be watching House of Ho. It's a knock off Vietnamese version of The Kardashians. It comes on HBO MAX. I only watched it for the random shots of Houston.

And outside of Film/TV, DFW period is just more of a media hub in general than Houston. It's the 5th biggest market in the country. No matter how many different list I post up of actual data DFW will still show to be a bigger media hub than Houston. TV/Film/Radio...those tend to go hand and hand.

https://mediatracks.com/resources/ni...rankings-2020/

https://newsgeneration.com/broadcast...radio-markets/

https://www.rab.com/public/trueMarket.cfm
Almost everything here is opinions, not facts, and I disagree and you can’t convince me otherwise because these are all lists that revolve on specific aspects. You can pull up from the many lists online that give different positions.

So let’s say Anglos (meaning whites worldwide both here, Europe, Australia, etc) do have DFW as the bigger draw. Blacks still aren’t the only where Houston is the bigger draw. Houston is a bigger draw throughout Hispanics as well as throughout Latin America. For every other ethnic group, it varies.

Third, black culture is more and more becoming the dominate culture of USA, so if what you’re saying about black community seeing Houston as the bigger draw, this is only a bigger deal for Houston. There’s a reason Atlanta is much greater today than it was before.

Now what you stated about bigger media market is true and a fact, but this only means there is more televisions within the DFW media market. This doesn’t equal bigger brand. Las Vegas is relatively low for obvious reasons but it’s by far a bigger brand. Then Philadelphia is also ranked higher in this regard. Houston also scored MUCH higher in the media market list than it is in relative to being a big draw.

Houston is far more hashtagged than Dallas in any form of social media: IG, Twitter, etc. bigger Reddit community etc. Now much like the “more TVs” being the reason for the bigger media market, you can use “city population” as why Houston is more hashtagged. But then look how Austin surpasses both in some socials, Dallas is second or last in each of these. San Antonio is dead last in each.

The few Texas set films or series that exist seem to cater to the older folks even the new ones. A Travis Scott or Post Malone music video give Houston and DFW much more of a media buzz than those. My 600 lb life is a pop culture phenomenon but it’s a meme show not a draw that people look to.

Conclusion: Youre not convincing me otherwise despite your efforts. Your posting different levels of criteria and we’re just going in circles at this point. You are allowed to disagree with me, but you won’t change my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 10:22 AM

5,615 posts, read 4,945,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Apparently the market disagrees with you... yes, the quality and taste of the food is worthy of higher prices! How many Pappadeaux restaurants have you been to? I've never noticed a majority contingent of black patrons where I've gone. To say that Blacks have an obsession with it sounds a little over-blown. Frenchy's - yes, The Breakfast Club - yes. Pappadeaux - NO.

I don't consider Smashburger as a fast food restaurant. Any place where I have to go inside and wait to me is not fast-food.

Buc-ees did find the secret of success, and they do a good job of keeping up with cleanliness in their restrooms. It's a good "one-stop" shop for travelers. It is not comparable to gas stations in my opinion. That's why it carved out its own niche - and they are always packed!
I say obsession because in my work, whenever I'm dealing with a predominantly Black community, and the subject of additional retail / restaurants for the community is brought up, P'deaux is ALWAYS the first one mentioned. ALWAYS. So much so that I wondered exactly what was going on. I'm not saying the place doesn't have good food, but it's a bit expensive, and why would folks focus on it to the exclusion of other chains? As I said, I don't understand and maybe I can't. I'm not telling the market that it's incorrect, because folks are obviously getting something from P'deaux that they don't think they can get elsewhere, otherwise why pay more?

So fast food, by your definition, requires a drive-thru? Lots of fast food businesses in urban settings don't have drive-thrus. And Whataburger isn't exactly known for quick drive-thrus at that - burgers are made to order. I've had to wait a long time both inside and drive-thru at Whataburger. Smashburger and some other places, you can order ahead anyway.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:26 AM

869 posts, read 319,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjac View Post
apparently the market disagrees with you... Yes, the quality and taste of the food is worthy of higher prices! How many pappadeaux restaurants have you been to? I've never noticed a majority contingent of black patrons where i've gone. To say that blacks have an obsession with it sounds a little over-blown. Frenchy's - yes, the breakfast club - yes. Pappadeaux - no. :d

i don't consider smashburger as a fast food restaurant. Any place where i have to go inside and wait to me is not fast-food.

Buc-ees did find the secret of success, and they do a good job of keeping up with cleanliness in their restrooms. It's a good "one-stop" shop for travelers. It is not comparable to gas stations in my opinion. That's why it carved out its own niche - and they are always packed!

always!

Old 08-11-2021, 10:30 AM

5,615 posts, read 4,945,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
always!
I think at this point most folks plan road trips where they KNOW they'll stop at Buc-ee's. It's part of the plan. That's an amazing credit to Buc-ee's.

Given how averse and frankly horrified most women had been at the thought of gas station restrooms pre-Buc-ee's, its amazing that someone else didn't capitalize on that unmet need before them. But perhaps our society wasn't that oriented toward women's needs in the past, at least not in the gas station realm.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Apparently the market disagrees with you... yes, the quality and taste of the food is worthy of higher prices! How many Pappadeaux restaurants have you been to? I've never noticed a majority contingent of black patrons where I've gone. To say that Blacks have an obsession with it sounds a little over-blown. Frenchy's - yes, The Breakfast Club - yes. Pappadeaux - NO.

I don't consider Smashburger as a fast food restaurant. Any place where I have to go inside and wait to me is not fast-food.

Pappadeaux gets a lot of boost from hip hop coast to coast. Snoop Dogg has even endorsed it at some point. Pappadeaux definitely does have a black community specific draw but it also draws others locally.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:58 AM

1,731 posts, read 1,028,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I think at this point most folks plan road trips where they KNOW they'll stop at Buc-ee's. It's part of the plan. That's an amazing credit to Buc-ee's.

Given how averse and frankly horrified most women had been at the thought of gas station restrooms pre-Buc-ee's, its amazing that someone else didn't capitalize on that unmet need before them. But perhaps our society wasn't that oriented toward women's needs in the past, at least not in the gas station realm.
I think you would agree that gas station restrooms are creepy and scary for both men and women!

In my travels we plan our "comfort breaks' around rest areas or restaurants... gas stations are always a last resort. Bucc-ees, when available, are a good option.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:22 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,359,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Pappadeaux is hardly the only restaurant serving coastal or Louisiana-style food in Houston. Is the quality really any better so that it deserves higher prices? And the obsession with it seems basically just within the Black community. It's not even Black-owned. I've never met any Anglo folks who thought P'deaux was more than just a somewhat-overpriced place with decent food.

It may just be one of those things that, as an Anglo, it's not possible for me to understand. But because of the work I do, it definitely comes up, so I have to have a level of awareness about it.

Regarding Whataburger, I can see why someone would say it's overhyped in some ways. After all, how good is a fast food burger going to be, period? Smashburger is the only fast food burger that I buy personally. However, Whataburger did come up with the fast-food version of breakfast tacos back in the 1980s, and I think that legacy is pretty huge, even if the taquitos aren't anything super-special.

I refuse to patronize Buc-ee's (for reasons I won't state here), but I give them total credit for fulfilling unmet demand by women for clean restrooms on road trip pit stops. That is basically the root of their success. That they were able to capitalize on it so well is pretty impressive. And apparently their food is good enough to stand out from typical gas station food options, but it wouldn't be anything if it weren't for the restrooms.

And of course we Texans are always going to overhype our home-grown chains because, you know, Texas!
Not just clean, but many available stalls. More stalls = less waiting.

Also, for a roadside pit stop/gas joint, it offers a wide selection of healthier fresh foods. Decent quality salads at decent prices.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:29 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,626,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Almost everything here is opinions, not facts, and I disagree and you can’t convince me otherwise because these are all lists that revolve on specific aspects. You can pull up from the many lists online that give different positions.

So let’s say Anglos (meaning whites worldwide both here, Europe, Australia, etc) do have DFW as the bigger draw. Blacks still aren’t the only where Houston is the bigger draw. Houston is a bigger draw throughout Hispanics as well as throughout Latin America. For every other ethnic group, it varies.

Third, black culture is more and more becoming the dominate culture of USA, so if what you’re saying about black community seeing Houston as the bigger draw, this is only a bigger deal for Houston. There’s a reason Atlanta is much greater today than it was before.

Now what you stated about bigger media market is true and a fact, but this only means there is more televisions within the DFW media market. This doesn’t equal bigger brand. Las Vegas is relatively low for obvious reasons but it’s by far a bigger brand. Then Philadelphia is also ranked higher in this regard. Houston also scored MUCH higher in the media market list than it is in relative to being a big draw.

Houston is far more hashtagged than Dallas in any form of social media: IG, Twitter, etc. bigger Reddit community etc. Now much like the “more TVs” being the reason for the bigger media market, you can use “city population” as why Houston is more hashtagged. But then look how Austin surpasses both in some socials, Dallas is second or last in each of these. San Antonio is dead last in each.

The few Texas set films or series that exist seem to cater to the older folks even the new ones. A Travis Scott or Post Malone music video give Houston and DFW much more of a media buzz than those. My 600 lb life is a pop culture phenomenon but it’s a meme show not a draw that people look to.

Conclusion: Youre not convincing me otherwise despite your efforts. Your posting different levels of criteria and we’re just going in circles at this point. You are allowed to disagree with me, but you won’t change my mind.
You just basically admitted you're gonna stick ya head in the sand on the topic and ignore factual data. LOL And it's only because it's Dallas. There's that Houston insecurity lol.

You can slice and dice ethnicities all you want to but the reality is Dallas has more visitors period.

Like I said I'm willing to bet Houston is more popular than Dallas when it comes to Black pop culture but it hasn't translate to more Black people moving here than DFW. So that's null and void. Atlanta is Atlanta, Houston is not Atlanta even if it's a peer city in Black culture.

More hashtags or not, Dallas still has the bigger brand in pop culture. Yeah Umbrella Academy/ Queen of the South and a reality tv show aren't catering to older folks. And if you want to hang your head on 600 lb life that just shows how **** poor Houston's reputation in tv/film is if that's your frame of reference.

Houston was known as one of the fattest cities in the nation at one point and time. You think that's the kind of publicity we need?

Old 08-11-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
You just basically admitted you're gonna stick ya head in the sand on the topic and ignore factual data. LOL And it's only because it's Dallas. There's that Houston insecurity lol.

You can slice and dice ethnicities all you want to but the reality is Dallas has more visitors period.

Like I said I'm willing to bet Houston is more popular than Dallas when it comes to Black pop culture but it hasn't translate to more Black people moving here than DFW. So that's null and void. Atlanta is Atlanta, Houston is not Atlanta even if it's a peer city in Black culture.

More hashtags or not, Dallas still has the bigger brand in pop culture. Yeah Umbrella Academy/ Queen of the South and a reality tv show aren't catering to older folks. And if you want to hang your head on 600 lb life that just shows how **** poor Houston's reputation in tv/film is if that's your frame of reference.

Houston was known as one of the fattest cities in the nation at one point and time. You think that's the kind of publicity we need?
For the past few pages you’ve done the same thing over again. The data is only factual to you when it benefits your argument and then you call it null. Nice try. “Hashtags or not” “more searched views or not”. The data is only fine with you when it benefits your thoughts. That’s the entire base of everything here.

Speaking of insecurity vines, I’ve moved on from convincing you other wise because you simply don’t agree. Unlike you, I’m not crying about it. Clearly we disagree and you’re the only one can’t move on from it.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:44 PM

I know facts don’t matter to you, but here’s a comparison of hashtagging data from Instagram

Atlanta: 37.5M
Miami: 80.6M
LasVegas: 40.5M
Chicago: 51.7M
Houston: 27.2M
Dallas: 20M
Phoenix: 9.8M

Houston and Dallas both are well behind cities of their size in branding and the hashtags reflect that. If Dallas were this huge brand you’re claiming, this wouldn’t be the case.

Edit: for comparison purposes, I added Phoenix which is an even smaller brand than Houston and Dallas despite its size
Ph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston