Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2021, 07:44 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,261 times

Advertisements

Houston as a large, diverse, international city has a lot of untapped potential. It is constantly evolving, and many of those changes have been positive, pre-COVID.

Given its established, high quality music and arts offerings - including a world-class symphony and large variety of theatre venues supporting everything from established productions to more the experimental ones - there is no reason Houston shouldn’t have its own version of Spoleto, in concert with showcasing its diverse culinary offerings.

There is something for everyone in Houston for all ages and music+art+food preferences that the suburbs can not replicate. It’s an untapped potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 07:59 AM

9,872 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Yeah more business and leisure unless you can prove otherwise. I have no problem admitting if I'm wrong.

Lol. “You’re wrong unless you prove me wrong”. That’s not how it works. There’s no proof of what exacto number of travelers are business and what are leisure. But there’s plenty of evidence that both DFW and Houston are vastly centered around business for their size.

Not to mention, this list was made in 2018, the year right after Harvey and the oil slump was still not recovered. A “regular” year would also see more DFW visitors but less lopsided. In 2019, it was long enough from both and enough oil recovery for better data. Regardless, the vast majority any year for either is business related.

Quote:

Also moviemaker one of the top resources for people working in film and tv put out a 2021 top cities for filmmakers to live in list. They do this every year based on the amount of work one gets in tv/film/ commercials.

Dallas ranked #12, Austin ranked #3, San Antonio even ranked #22. Houston didn't even make the list. Anybody who works in the film industry knows how notorious lackluster Houston is when it comes to support it's local film community. The city doesn't prioritize grants and incentives to support the industry here. Again, exposure on the big and small screen only boost a cities visibility to the general public. Houston is plenty visible when it comes to Hip-hop but outside of that not as much as Dallas and Austin.

https://www.moviemaker.com/best-plac...emaker-2021/2/

And I think we both know why New Orleans still gets tons of visitors to their city despite having similar weather to Houston.
Random list? Really? This is the equivalent of someone pulling the “US News rankings” since they’re a “well trusted source” and hit you with that “Houston was ranked 4th for best Texas place to visit, DFW wasn’t even top 10”

https://travel.usnews.com/rankings/b...isit-in-texas/

And that list you posted is trash. It’s just as trash as the US News list/ Albuquerque was first. Are you going to try to convince me that Albuquerque has more media presence than Miami who came to a disappointing 8th? Nice try lol. I get Alby is a residential destination for film makers but their representation in the media is unaffected by this.

Neither of these get presence in film. You’re making this up about Dallas. You rarely ever see these cities chosen for a major film or TV series.

And as for your “Houston gets plenty of visibility from Hip Hop”, it’s the biggest genre in the world… so? 15 years ago you could’ve said “but it’s black specific” but today it’s all the white kids and any race bump to. And I’ll help you out with what you’re trying to say, Houston is no Atlanta when it comes to hip hop. Houston’s hip hop presence is far larger than this “huge Dallas film presence” you keep talking about that doesn’t exist. Heck, even Austin which is by far the Texas film leader is disappointing in actually appearing in the media (though they do score in production).

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 08-10-2021 at 08:24 AM..

Old 08-10-2021, 09:13 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,261 times
I would love to see a Tennessee Williams play one day, catch a kabuki performance the next, then a baile folklorico the next, then finish with a water puppet show. Or similar productions, new and old.

All beautifully produced in attractive venues showcasing Houston’s iconic parks and other sites, past, present and future.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:34 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
You just described San Antonio.

And yes, especially San Antonio gets more visitors simply because Houston and Dallas travel there. That’s their biggest pull by far. There’s some foreign travelers but in any given tourist attraction there, most people are from around Texas.
When did Houston get a Riverwalk and downtown remotely close to San Antonio? Did Houston bring Astroworld back? Where's Houston Seaworld?

San Antonio gets more visitors period. It's Texas #1 visited city. The Riverwalk/Downtown area of San Antonio is the most historical cultural and unique neighborhood in the state. Unless you can pull up data showing that Houston and Dallas travelers make that much of an impact on tourism in San Antonio than you have nothing concrete to back up that statement.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:40 AM

869 posts, read 319,165 times
Quote:
Lol. “You’re wrong unless you prove me wrong”. That’s not how it works. There’s no proof of what exacto number of travelers are business and what are leisure. But there’s plenty of evidence that both DFW and Houston are vastly centered around business for their size.

Not to mention, this list was made in 2018, the year right after Harvey and the oil slump was still not recovered. A “regular” year would also see more DFW visitors but less lopsided. In 2019, it was long enough from both and enough oil recovery for better data. Regardless, the vast majority any year for either is business related.

Random list? Really? This is the equivalent of someone pulling the “US News rankings” since they’re a “well trusted source” and hit you with that “Houston was ranked 4th for best Texas place to visit, DFW wasn’t even top 10”

And that list you posted is trash. It’s just as trash as the US News list/ Albuquerque was first. Are you going to try to convince me that Albuquerque has more media presence than Miami who came to a disappointing 8th? Nice try lol. I get Alby is a residential destination for film makers but their representation in the media is unaffected by this.

Neither of these get presence in film. You’re making this up about Dallas. You rarely ever see these cities chosen for a major film or TV series.

And as for your “Houston gets plenty of visibility from Hip Hop”, it’s the biggest genre in the world… so? 15 years ago you could’ve said “but it’s black specific” but today it’s all the white kids and any race bump to. And I’ll help you out with what you’re trying to say, Houston is no Atlanta when it comes to hip hop. Houston’s hip hop presence is far larger than this “huge Dallas film presence” you keep talking about that doesn’t exist. Heck, even Austin which is by far the Texas film leader is disappointing in actually appearing in the media (though they do score in production).

Lol...agreed. They kill me with that.

Or how about THIS list https://time.com/collection/worlds-g...t-places-2021/ ...Dallas isn't even mentioned

Old 08-10-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
When did Houston get a Riverwalk and downtown remotely close to San Antonio? Did Houston bring Astroworld back? Where's Houston Seaworld?

San Antonio gets more visitors period. It's Texas #1 visited city. The Riverwalk/Downtown area of San Antonio is the most historical cultural and unique neighborhood in the state. Unless you can pull up data showing that Houston and Dallas travelers make that much of an impact on tourism in San Antonio than you have nothing concrete to back up that statement.
I don’t disagree with anything here.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:

1. If you have no proof what was the point in making the statement. Especially since you put it out there as a factual statement. It's simply your opinion and you should just say so next time.

As far as the film industry, You're way out of your league on this one. Trash list? Moviemakers list are not opinion based but based on actual data. They take a look at how big the film industry is in these particular cities. They look at the amount of movies, tv shows, commercials filmed in these cities. They look at film commissions in each city. It's a combination of many things that have nothing to do with OPINIONS.

Dallas has a bigger film commission, gives out more grants and has bigger film festivals not to mention more popular tv shows based on the city.

If moviemakers were so trash why would the head of Houston's film commission talk to the platform to convince the industry to take a look at Houston as a production destination?

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...V-11158604.php

Houston can't win in every category Bro. Btw, even 15 years ago Hip-hop has gone way past attracting Black people. It's been globally popular since the 90s. That still doesn't mean Houston has the strongest brand from a media presence. Houston's hip-hop scene didn't gain Oprah or Conan's attention when they decided to film their shows in Dallas a couple years back.

Generally speaking, Dallas has the bigger brand period. It has more of the Texan image. Houston has the bigger brand among Black Americans. And that's perfectly fine.

As far as Albuquerque, name me a Houston based tv show bigger than Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul? My 600lb life?

Old 08-10-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
1. If you have no proof what was the point in making the statement. Especially since you put it out there as a factual statement. It's simply your opinion and you should just say so next time.
Then why are you still talking when you haven’t done it either? You can’t demand proof and not give it.

Quote:

As far as the film industry, You're way out of your league on this one. Trash list? Moviemakers list are not opinion based but based on actual data. They take a look at how big the film industry is in these particular cities. They look at the amount of movies, tv shows, commercials filmed in these cities. They look at film commissions in each city. It's a combination of many things that have nothing to do with OPINIONS.

Dallas has a bigger film commission, gives out more grants and has bigger film festivals not to mention more popular tv shows based on the city.
Then name one. Let me guess. Dallas of the 70s?

Quote:

If moviemakers were so trash why would the head of Houston's film commission talk to the platform to convince the industry to take a look at Houston as a production destination?

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...V-11158604.php
Lmao. It seems you’re arguing just to argue at this point. You posted the list in reference to show who gets the most media presence. Albuquerque is ahead of Miami. What do you want, yes Albuquerque is much bigger of a media center than Miami? Ok you got it

Quote:

Houston can't win in every category Bro. Btw, even 15 years ago Hip-hop has gone way past attracting Black people. It's been globally popular since the 90s. That still doesn't mean Houston has the strongest brand from a media presence. Houston's hip-hop scene didn't gain Oprah or Conan's attention when they decided to film their shows in Dallas a couple years back.

Generally speaking, Dallas has the bigger brand period. It has more of the Texan image. Houston has the bigger brand among Black Americans. And that's perfectly fine.

As far as Albuquerque, name me a Houston based tv show bigger than Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul? My 600lb life?
“If you can’t prove a point you may as well not talk”. You haven’t done so, and a random list where Albuquerque comes on top isn’t doing anything. Take your own advice. And are you illiterate or are you skimming over? If saying “Houston isn’t a major media center” isn’t clear enough, then I don’t know what is. No one is making this claim. YOU are making the claim that Dallas is this HUGE media center and haven’t named one major film or tc series going for it. You can’t name them because they don’t exist. Neither have them. Get over it lol. I can’t wait to hear “the Dallas soap opera”

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 08-10-2021 at 10:53 AM..

Old 08-10-2021, 04:53 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Then why are you still talking when you haven’t done it either? You can’t demand proof and not give it.

Lmao. It seems you’re arguing just to argue at this point. You posted the list in reference to show who gets the most media presence. Albuquerque is ahead of Miami. What do you want, yes Albuquerque is much bigger of a media center than Miami? Ok you got it

“If you can’t prove a point you may as well not talk”. You haven’t done so, and a random list where Albuquerque comes on top isn’t doing anything. Take your own advice. And are you illiterate or are you skimming over? If saying “Houston isn’t a major media center” isn’t clear enough, then I don’t know what is. No one is making this claim. YOU are making the claim that Dallas is this HUGE media center and haven’t named one major film or tc series going for it. You can’t name them because they don’t exist. Neither have them. Get over it lol. I can’t wait to hear “the Dallas soap opera”
Film Production Companies in Dallas:

Top 100 film production companies in Dallas
https://themanifest.com/video-produc...gencies/dallas

Old 08-10-2021, 06:31 PM

Quote:

I gave you numbers taken from both cities official tourism websites. Dallas has more visitors period. Weather is more business than leisure is irrelevant when the numbers favor Dallas more. And I’m pretty sure it’s more business than leisure for both cities but the fact remain Dallas has more visitors period.

You want me to name a Dallas based show that’s more popular than a Houston based show? I’ll give you 3.

1. Queen of the South( season 1-3)
2. The Umbrella Academy( season 2)
3. Real Housewives of Dallas

All more popular than any tv/film out of Houston in the past few years. But hey, Houston did have “House of Ho”.

Btw, I didn’t make any claim that Dallas was a huge media center. You know I didn’t make that claim. I said Dallas was bigger than Houston. That’s a fact. And you want Dallas to be at the bottom with Houston cause you know Houston is lacking in that department. But Dallas has positioned themselves in a better situation than Houston. And so has Austin and San Antonio as of recent. Houston use to have a bigger presence in film/ tv/ media. Now the film community is struggling. Sad considering Houston has a great film director like Wes Anderson who won’t film any of his recent work in his own hometown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston