Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2021, 07:05 AM

4,398 posts, read 4,656,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend2000 View Post
This is Houstonians biggest argument.

Here's the thing: DFW people don't care if fun is encapsulated in one municipality or spread across several. We can be in one area and a 30 min or less drive can get us to all kind of cool spots, restaurants, venues. Even two central business districts! We don't care if it's Dallas, Addison, Arlington, Las Colinas. It's DFW and we are okay with that.

Houston ppl seem to have a difficult time understanding this (maybe bc Houston burbs are nothing to brag about). Your massive city would spread across several municipalities in DFW. Our commute time and distance driving through cities here may be shorter than your commute and distance driven without ever leaving your massive city.

Who cares. Put 800 square miles of Houston Metro against 800 SQ miles of DFW and DFW wins.

Here's an analogy:

You guys are bragging about a store that has one massive aisle that contains everything you need. Your argument: this store is better than that one because it has a massive aisle that is better than any individual aisle in that store over there.

Yet, our store is just as large but doesn't have a massive aisle. Instead there's multiple aisles that are neatly arranged and they contain everything you'll find in the other store including extra things. It even takes the same amount of time for us to walk the multiple aisles as it takes you to walk one massive aisle.

So DFW ppl don't care about this silly Houstonian logic. If we were exiled and restricted to one city, then ok, Houston wins easily but real life doesn't work that way.
Lol, basically my point. DFW in structure is somewhat similar to LA. LA is way more jacked up but everything in LA is kind of spread out in similar fashion to DFW. No way in hell am I choosing Houston over LA when it comes to an urban experience. Like I stated before what's happening 30 mins from the core doesn't really take away from the core. That was the case 10-15 years ago. I've noticed the drastic change in DFW.

The fact most Houstonians live outside the inner loop, you would think Houston would try to improve on their burbs like DFW continues to do for a lot of theirs. Because the reality is most Houstonians day to day routine doesn't involve the loop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 07:06 AM

10,027 posts, read 6,722,073 times
No one considers anything East of EaDo as the inner loop. In fact, Uptown Houston is more considered than that even thought they’re JUST outside

Old 08-06-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Lol, basically my point. DFW in structure is somewhat similar to LA. LA is way more jacked up but everything in LA is kind of spread out in similar fashion to DFW. No way in hell am I choosing Houston over LA when it comes to an urban experience. Like I stated before what's happening 30 mins from the core doesn't really take away from the core. That was the case 10-15 years ago. I've noticed the drastic change in DFW.

The fact most Houstonians live outside the inner loop, you would think Houston would try to improve on their burbs like DFW continues to do for a lot of theirs. Because the reality is most Houstonians day to day routine doesn't involve the loop.
They are though

Old 08-06-2021, 09:19 AM

5,647 posts, read 4,992,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
No one considers anything East of EaDo as the inner loop. In fact, Uptown Houston is more considered than that even thought they’re JUST outside
Umm...no, when people say the Loop, they mean the Loop, as in 610. Now, do they mentally include places like Gulfgate? True, they don't, but you wouldn't find anyone saying that Gulfgate isn't in the Loop.

And yes, at this point, folks probably do think of Uptown as being part of the Loop. It's ON the Loop, though just outside as you noted. However, if you say that's it's part of the Urban Core, there's no doubt everyone will agree on that these days. Just like the Westside is considered part of the core of Los Angeles anymore, which it is of course. But I'm old enough to remember when both Uptown Houston and LA Westside were considered "suburban" markets, which seems utterly ridiculous now.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
If Uptown is more considered it's because Uptown has a lot more going for itself than that part of the inner loop. But the fact remains is that that section is in the loop. Will it take full gentrification of those neighborhoods for people to finally consider it apart of the inner loop?

Old 08-06-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
If Uptown is more considered it's because Uptown has a lot more going for itself than that part of the inner loop. But the fact remains is that that section is in the loop. Will it take full gentrification of those neighborhoods for people to finally consider it apart of the inner loop?
Ok, so earlier you made a long rant saying boundaries don’t matter. now you’re saying they do. Can you atleast make up your mind?

Old 08-06-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Umm...no, when people say the Loop, they mean the Loop, as in 610. Now, do they mentally include places like Gulfgate? True, they don't, but you wouldn't find anyone saying that Gulfgate isn't in the Loop.

And yes, at this point, folks probably do think of Uptown as being part of the Loop. It's ON the Loop, though just outside as you noted. However, if you say that's it's part of the Urban Core, there's no doubt everyone will agree on that these days. Just like the Westside is considered part of the core of Los Angeles anymore, which it is of course. But I'm old enough to remember when both Uptown Houston and LA Westside were considered "suburban" markets, which seems utterly ridiculous now.
Could just be me, but these days the terms inner loop and urban core seem to be used colloquially. Usually west out to Uptown, South down to Astrodome, north up to the Heights, east on to EaDo (maybe a bit further but not much). Brays bayou with third ward-UH is another divider for the southeast.

Old 08-06-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Ok, so earlier you made a long rant saying boundaries don’t matter. now you’re saying they do. Can you atleast make up your mind?
Huh? Can you quote when I said boundaries don't matter and in what reference did I make that statement.

Either way the inner loop is 610 loop. What I'm stating is a fact. Those neighborhoods east of 69/288 are in the loop. I don't see how people can just make up their own borders but it's clearly right there on a map. You can't just make up new rules because those places are undesirable. They're still in the loop. Matter fact why wouldn't people consider those communities in the loop when THEY"RE IN THE LOOP?

Old 08-06-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Huh? Can you quote when I said boundaries don't matter and in what reference did I make that statement.

Either way the inner loop is 610 loop. What I'm stating is a fact. Those neighborhoods east of 69/288 are in the loop. I don't see how people can just make up their own borders but it's clearly right there on a map. You can't just make up new rules because those places are undesirable. They're still in the loop. Matter fact why wouldn't people consider those communities in the loop when THEY"RE IN THE LOOP?
You’ve made novel after novel about this. And I actually agree with you. What I disagree with you is that if you don’t hold one city against boundaries, you don’t do it for for others either. All you’ve done in this thread is make rants about how boundaries don’t change what Plano means for DFW, etc. and you’re not wrong, but if you do that, you have to do it for everywhere else.

People don’t move to Denver Harbor and say “this is ran down but technically it’s within the loop so I’m happy here”. Nor do they go to Uptown Houston and say “this is just outside of the physical loop so this isn’t it”. You’re not going to make all these novels about how borders don’t matter and discount parts of Houston within the loop that are well within the core while being just west of the loop. Even some southwest portions like Bellaire are more connected to the loop than Manor Park for example. You said it yourself. Boundaries don’t matter.

Old 08-06-2021, 01:46 PM

Did a simple Google search of “inner loop map Houston” and haven’t found any that include farther Eastern parts of the loop. Some are even including Memorial area before they include Denver Harbor, etc.

I don’t agree agree with Memorial over DH, but Uptown and possibly Bellaire I easily would. You’d figure you would too with your rants on how borders don’t matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston