Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2021, 03:03 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,051,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
1. I'm sorry but being able to go to a soccer game is only important to a soccer fan. I know soccer is pretty big but I'm not a fan by any means. Having a soccer stadium in the urban core probably means little to nothing to the general public in America.

2. Astros and Rockets playing in close proximity to each other definitely is a W for Houston. I'm more of a Basketball and Baseball fan and won't deny the advantage in having those options in the urban core.

3. I like the parks in Houston but riding a bike along the bayou park isn't what I would call the most alluring thing about the parks along the waterfront. The times I biked along the bayou there's been a couple of aggressive homeless people and the water doesn't look the cleanest. It's not like that area is Chicago's riverwalk or San Antonio. Maybe it'll get close to it with the River East development but it's not there right now. And to be honest I probably like Klyde Warren Park and Katy trial a smidget better than the options in Houston. Yet both cities still have good options to go biking in green space.

4. How often am I going to the Zoo? Houston zoo is in a good location in the museum district but it's about the same tier as Dallas Zoo. Neither zoo is better than Fort Worth.

5. I do believe Houston's museum district has better museums but make no mistake none of the museums are WORLD CLASS. It's not like Dallas museums are mediocre. Museum of Fine Arts imo is the best Art museum in the state but it's not leaps and bounds ahead of Dallas. I can still enjoy museums in Dallas either way.

This right here imo gives a slight nod to Dallas over Houston for urban experience. I prefer walkable neighborhoods, connectivity and some kind of public transportation option when it comes to an urban experience. Houston has the better museums and sporting experience but it's not like Dallas doesn't have museums or even the Mavs/Stars in their urban core.

I was literally in Uptown Dallas and the vibrancy of that area isn't like what you'll find in Houston. Again you can still have a good time in Houston's core. You just won't have the option to walk as much that's all. And to me while it isn't a big difference it does make somewhat of a difference.
That's all fair and based on your preferences. I'm big into soccer (just hit the Dynamo/Salt Lake match this past Saturday), baseball, basketball, and football so the fact they are all close to my house is a major win for me. Definitely agree about the Ft. Worth Zoo and Katy Trail (and the Central Dallas hike/bike trails in general, I prefer them too), disagree about Klyde Warren. Sounds like we agree about the museums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Katy trail and mostly like Turtle creek.

There will be nothing in Texas that will top The trinity River project....Absolutely nothing....Thats why I don't care about it taking so long to start.....It's a HUGE Project that can't just be rushed through like people want it to be.....GREAT things take a lot of time....whenever we get it it will be right on time..
It should be very nice whenever it gets done - but at this rate, Buffalo Bayou between Downtown and River Oaks will be an upscale high-rise and entertainment district in its own right. It's already starting to happen due to the influence of the park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 03:04 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
1. I'm sorry but being able to go to a soccer game is only important to a soccer fan. I know soccer is pretty big but I'm not a fan by any means. Having a soccer stadium in the urban core probably means little to nothing to the general public in America.

2. Astros and Rockets playing in close proximity to each other definitely is a W for Houston. I'm more of a Basketball and Baseball fan and won't deny the advantage in having those options in the urban core.
With this logic, none of this matters. The high end shopping doesn’t matter other than those who buy it, the museums only matter to museum goers and parks only matter to outdoorsy people.

Old 08-03-2021, 03:21 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times
Quote:

3. I like the parks in Houston but riding a bike along the bayou park isn't what I would call the most alluring thing about the parks along the waterfront. The times I biked along the bayou there's been a couple of aggressive homeless people and the water doesn't look the cleanest. It's not like that area is Chicago's riverwalk or San Antonio. Maybe it'll get close to it with the River East development but it's not there right now. And to be honest I probably like Klyde Warren Park and Katy trial a smidget better than the options in Houston. Yet both cities still have good options to go biking in green space.

4. How often am I going to the Zoo? Houston zoo is in a good location in the museum district but it's about the same tier as Dallas Zoo. Neither zoo is better than Fort Worth.

5. I do believe Houston's museum district has better museums but make no mistake none of the museums are WORLD CLASS. It's not like Dallas museums are mediocre. Museum of Fine Arts imo is the best Art museum in the state but it's not leaps and bounds ahead of Dallas. I can still enjoy museums in Dallas either way.

This right here imo gives a slight nod to Dallas over Houston for urban experience. I prefer walkable neighborhoods, connectivity and some kind of public transportation option when it comes to an urban experience. Houston has the better museums and sporting experience but it's not like Dallas doesn't have museums or even the Mavs/Stars in their urban core.

I was literally in Uptown Dallas and the vibrancy of that area isn't like what you'll find in Houston. Again you can still have a good time in Houston's core. You just won't have the option to walk as much that's all. And to me while it isn't a big difference it does make somewhat of a difference.
+1..

Old 08-03-2021, 04:17 PM

869 posts, read 319,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
With this logic, none of this matters. The high end shopping doesn’t matter other than those who buy it, the museums only matter to museum goers and parks only matter to outdoorsy people.
Lol, VERY MUCH agreed. This logic can be applied to ANYTHING. I could care less about Hockey...so the fact that Houston doesn't have it doesn't bother me one bit. I'm not into high end shopping (even though Houston still has Dallas beat in this regard), so I wouldn't care even if Dallas did top Houston in that area. And now that this great point has been brought up, it clearer than ever that these arguments are moot.

Old 08-03-2021, 04:22 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
If the southern part of Downtown Houston would just fill in with more interesting things and the I-45 Pierce Elevated come down so that Downtown and Midtown had a more seamless connection, I think it could legitimately compete with Dallas Downtown and Uptown as a large urban walkable district. EaDo could also get there, but not sure how badly the freeway rebuild is going to impact connectivity to Downtown, especially if a deck park doesn't happen (which it might not). EaDo also doesn't have nearly as good sidewalks as it needs to.

Old 08-03-2021, 04:30 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
If the southern part of Downtown Houston would just fill in with more interesting things and the I-45 Pierce Elevated come down so that Downtown and Midtown had a more seamless connection, I think it could legitimately compete with Dallas Downtown and Uptown as a large urban walkable district. EaDo could also get there, but not sure how badly the freeway rebuild is going to impact connectivity to Downtown, especially if a deck park doesn't happen (which it might not). EaDo also doesn't have nearly as good sidewalks as it needs to.
This is rapidly occurring. The Kimpton hotel is being built right around there. The two district will probably connect with in the next couple of years

Old 08-03-2021, 04:56 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I'm really hoping the Pierce Skypark concept happens as I think overall it would be better for downtown than another half-block of space for new development. If done right, it would result in the explosion of that area real estate-wise. I anticipate a ton of high-rise residential development there because buildings could directly connect to something beautiful, functional, and completely unique to the state. Office and commercial buildings would find that to be an amenity they'd be interested in too, but residential and mixed use is that area's future regardless of what happens with the skypark. The skypark would just enhance and hasten that transition. I really do believe this should be the GHP and the Parks Department's priority when it comes to green space associated with the 45 rebuild.

As far as the deck park on the east side, I'm fairly sure that will happen eventually, as the cap will be designed for it and its an easy improvement to make. Whether that will happen early on once the freeway is rebuilt is definitely an open question though. My guess is that GHP is waiting to get some more clarity on what will happen with the Pierce before really trying to get the philanthropists to commit to the deck park. At least I hope that's the case. I'm not too worried about this happening at some point though.

In a decade or so, everything south/west of Downtown to Midtown and River Oaks will look completely different.

Old 08-03-2021, 06:16 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,026,405 times
Quote:
You nailed it!

So many people take their personal experience and generalize it to the rest of the population (especially their age group or ethnicity).

Objective and independent perspectives are more valuable, and harder to find.

Old 08-03-2021, 08:03 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I'm really hoping the Pierce Skypark concept happens as I think overall it would be better for downtown than another half-block of space for new development. If done right, it would result in the explosion of that area real estate-wise. I anticipate a ton of high-rise residential development there because buildings could directly connect to something beautiful, functional, and completely unique to the state. Office and commercial buildings would find that to be an amenity they'd be interested in too, but residential and mixed use is that area's future regardless of what happens with the skypark. The skypark would just enhance and hasten that transition. I really do believe this should be the GHP and the Parks Department's priority when it comes to green space associated with the 45 rebuild.
I don't think I agree. Keeping the elevated structure just creates a less-than-awesome space at ground level. Ground level is way way way more important for connectivity. The High Line in NYC was just a skinny RR track, not a multi-lane wide highway. Any Skypark that is created should be no more than 1 automobile lane wide.

Old 08-03-2021, 11:05 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
How many Americans have you heard brag about being able to attend a soccer game in Chicago/SF/NYC/Boston/ New Orleans city core?

I’m sorry but the dynamos are not as big of an attraction to the everyday average Houstonian or tourist coming into Houston. That’s specific to that demographic.

But what are some things that appeal to the general consensus? Amenities/ walkability/ connectivity and vibrancy.

Both Houston and Dallas have amenities in their core. I wouldn’t consider either city to be world class but both have amenities that can appeal to the general public. Next is walkability. Which cities core has more walkable neighborhoods of interest. Well that goes to Dallas. Connectivity and vibrancy. Houston has pockets of vibrancy all throughout the inner loop. The lack of walkable neighborhoods makes it difficult to have connectivity and consistent vibrancy.

I’ll also agree w/ R1070 and say the new AT&T discovery and Farmers Market in Dallas add a little something that’s reminiscent of more tourist and local friendly attractions in more popular cities than what you find in Houston. And that’s simply because these things are much more pedestrian friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston