Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 12:38 PM

10,027 posts, read 6,722,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Curious, what is it about Houston that reminds you of LA? Is it solely the ethnic diversity that make up both cities? Because even though they both are major cities that embrace diversity at the highest level imo both cities could be farthest from each other.
It’s not that uncommon actually. In fact, there was a poll on this before.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...-dallas-2.html

While Houston and LA are very different cities, there are cities far more different from LA. Not just Dallas. The things usually brought up on what makes them similar are the sprawl, Palm trees, scattterer high rise locations, freeway system, Mexican culture presence, hip hop culture presence, far culture among other things. On the palm tree note, I hate both Houston and LA style palm trees and this is due to their similarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 01:00 PM

52 posts, read 27,873 times
Quote:
Curious, what is it about Houston that reminds you of LA?

I can't speak for OP, but for me, Houston, Phoenix, and LA are very similar in that they are post-car cities, therefore sprawl.

Old 08-16-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultright View Post
I can't speak for OP, but for me, Houston, Phoenix, and LA are very similar in that they are post-car cities, therefore sprawl.
In this case, DFW falls right in

Old 08-16-2021, 01:07 PM

52 posts, read 27,873 times
DFW felt more like Chicago last time I was there. It still had some kind of city framework based on walking, instead of districts. However, this was split because most of the residents I met seemed to identify with Fort Worth instead of Dallas. Beyond that, I can't comment; it seemed a pleasant place.

Old 08-16-2021, 02:19 PM

4,753 posts, read 2,999,394 times
It really depends on what part of LA you're talking about. If it's some of the unincorporated areas like Marina del Rey/Lincoln Bl or areas that grew up as unincorporated before becoming a city, then I can see it if I squint and imagine. Other than that Houston and LA don't have the same build because LA has strict zoning. South Bay is the only area of SoCal you could say looks like Houston where they can give off similar vibes both in the diversity of people who live there and the build style which is more lax in that area.

Old 08-16-2021, 05:22 PM

15,627 posts, read 7,659,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
No zoning has it’s pros and cons for sure. Pro is it relieves some sense of plastic. As mentioned above, this helps bring the “LA style” cosmopolitan feel. Cons are it has failed us in certain times. Such as the notorious “Zone d erotic” that used to exist next to the Galleria. Glad that’s gone

Also, let’s be real here. Yes Houston has no official zoning, but there’s equivalent regulations that have similar functionality. The more time passes, the harder the regulations are becoming.
Even with zoning, Zone D'Erotica would have been allowed in that location.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:56 AM

4,398 posts, read 4,656,288 times
Quote:
It’s not that uncommon actually. In fact, there was a poll on this before.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...-dallas-2.html

While Houston and LA are very different cities, there are cities far more different from LA. Not just Dallas. The things usually brought up on what makes them similar are the sprawl, Palm trees, scattterer high rise locations, freeway system, Mexican culture presence, hip hop culture presence, far culture among other things. On the palm tree note, I hate both Houston and LA style palm trees and this is due to their similarity.
Yeah I remember that thread. You know I use to slightly think the same thing till I actually started going to LA and realized how completely different they are to the point they probably shouldn't be compared to in that sense. Even with similar traits like a heavy Mexican culture, Hip-hop culture, car culture even those things are different. Even the Palm trees didn't remind me of Houston. LA Palm trees were much thicker and lush in scale. Plus there were way more Palm trees in LA than Houston. Scattered high rises sort of reminded me of Houston but at ground level these districts are completely different from each other so that feeling quickly wears off. It's hard to think Houston even from the freeway when you see all the valleys and non-flat landscapes all around LA. Other than the freeway system could be DFW too.

IMO, Houston looks and feels more like it could be in North Florida than LA.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:33 AM

5,647 posts, read 4,992,263 times
Quote:
Yeah I remember that thread. You know I use to slightly think the same thing till I actually started going to LA and realized how completely different they are to the point they probably shouldn't be compared to in that sense. Even with similar traits like a heavy Mexican culture, Hip-hop culture, car culture even those things are different. Even the Palm trees didn't remind me of Houston. LA Palm trees were much thicker and lush in scale. Plus there were way more Palm trees in LA than Houston. Scattered high rises sort of reminded me of Houston but at ground level these districts are completely different from each other so that feeling quickly wears off. It's hard to think Houston even from the freeway when you see all the valleys and non-flat landscapes all around LA. Other than the freeway system could be DFW too.

IMO, Houston looks and feels more like it could be in North Florida than LA.
While I think the walkability level of L.A. is something Houston could aspire to, I do agree they are also very different in many ways. Single family homes have much smaller lots. Lots more small apartment buildings, typical of a 1920s city. And Houston is so, so much more lush - more trees (not palms) and just green everywhere except parking lots.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:17 AM

On the palm tree note, LA’s palm trees are definitely different than Houston’s being that they’re taller and just a bit different in general.

I grew up around palm trees in Venezuela and Miami and the palms of LA are catastrophically more like Houston’s. They both fall under the Sabal Palms umbrella with the “fan” look which to me isn’t real palm trees. Miami and Caribbean palms are more of what I see as palm trees.

But yeah Houston and LA are very very different. They’re both some of the most unique cities in America. But there’s certain pockets in Houston where you get an “LA vibe” or an “this is something I could see in LA” impression. The palms are one, the Chinatowns are similar, the River Oaks shopping district, etc. And yeah as you mentioned, the Mexican culture in Houston and LA are different, but they’re similar in the sense that both cities have strong Latino roots and both are Mexican dominant. Compared to Miami or NYC (both cities that also have strong Latino roots), their Latino community is dominant to Cuban and Puerto Rican respectively. This has LA and Houston much more similar to each other in this regard as opposed to Miami/NYC.

Anyway, yeah. Most of Houston and LA are entirely different but there’s a couple of pockets or aspects where you’ll see a similarity

Old 08-17-2021, 12:51 PM

4,398 posts, read 4,656,288 times
Quote:
On the palm tree note, LA’s palm trees are definitely different than Houston’s being that they’re taller and just a bit different in general.

I grew up around palm trees in Venezuela and Miami and the palms of LA are catastrophically more like Houston’s. They both fall under the Sabal Palms umbrella with the “fan” look which to me isn’t real palm trees. Miami and Caribbean palms are more of what I see as palm trees.

But yeah Houston and LA are very very different. They’re both some of the most unique cities in America. But there’s certain pockets in Houston where you get an “LA vibe” or an “this is something I could see in LA” impression. The palms are one, the Chinatowns are similar, the River Oaks shopping district, etc. And yeah as you mentioned, the Mexican culture in Houston and LA are different, but they’re similar in the sense that both cities have strong Latino roots and both are Mexican dominant. Compared to Miami or NYC (both cities that also have strong Latino roots), their Latino community is dominant to Cuban and Puerto Rican respectively. This has LA and Houston much more similar to each other in this regard as opposed to Miami/NYC.

Anyway, yeah. Most of Houston and LA are entirely different but there’s a couple of pockets or aspects where you’ll see a similarity
About the Mexican "dominant" culture I think Houston is much more evenly represented ethnically than LA is. The fact that Houston is much more evenly represented and have much more integration with their Black counterparts in Houston than in LA gives it a completely different vibe imo. Of course Houston having a large Mexican population which Dallas also has just like most major cities in Texas have always gives it a similar feel when in California. But at the same time it's a difference even with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston