Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2021, 08:35 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,460,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I agree that Houston could do a better job promoting and displaying its Nightlife, but neither city has it to where it just pops out at you. Dallas too, you have to go off center to find the nightlife spots too. The closest city that achieves this is Austin, and that's mainly because of its central location.

I don't care what anyone says, downtown Houston Main Street/historic district pre pandemic was jumping. I don't know much about it now. Washington seems to still be pretty lit. And Eado by the old Lucky's has a pretty live scene every time i drive through it.

R1070 when was the last time you really hung out in Houston? This isn't the same Houston it was in 2013, but then again, this isn't the same Houston pre March 2020 either.
I promise you people know about Deep Ellum,Lower and Middle greenvile, Cedar Springs Oak Lawn, Knox Henderson and Uptown before they get here...Now they may not know exactly where they are but they know what to put in the GPS.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 08:54 AM

9,918 posts, read 6,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I promise you people know about Deep Ellum,Lower and Middle greenvile, Cedar Springs Oak Lawn, Knox Henderson and Uptown before they get here...Now they may not know exactly where they are but they know what to put in the GPS.....
They’re not well known districts outside of Texas at all. Dallas nightlife is underrated no one ever talks about it. Houston’s is a lot more well known and you can make the case that Dallas is better

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 07-26-2021 at 09:12 AM..

Old 07-26-2021, 09:27 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,460,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
They’re not well known districts outside of Texas at all. Dallas nightlife is underrated no one ever talks about it. Houston’s is a lot more well known and you can make the case that Dallas is better
Thanks for proving my point...People research Dallas before they come because....like you said...Supposedly Dallas' nightlife spots are not known outside of Texas. Our districts are solid and have been there for years so the list will always be consistently the same. Houstons nightlife hot spots jump around a lot. so you don't have that consistency of go-to areas.

Old 07-26-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks for proving my point...People research Dallas before they come because....like you said...Supposedly Dallas' nightlife spots are not known outside of Texas. Our districts are solid and have been there for years so the list will always be consistently the same. Houstons nightlife hot spots jump around a lot. so you don't have that consistency of go-to areas.
The spots here haven’t changed at all since I was 18. Supposively back in the day people went out in Richmond but that’s so long ago that it doesn’t affect me. How things are now will probably stay the same going forward because the environment sustains it that way. Deep Ellum, Midtown and Washington will probably only improve going forward because people aren’t anti downtown anymore like they were in Texas decades ago. Until a COVID caliber event hits again that is

Old 07-26-2021, 12:54 PM

869 posts, read 320,580 times
Quote:
No offense, but I promise you they are NOT well-known...even WITHIN Texas, unless you're from the Dallas area or just happened to hear about it, very few have heard of a "Deep Ellum" or "Lower Greenville" or "Bishop Arts". It's no different than Houston's Almeda strip or 3rd Ward's hole in the wall bars...people who party in the Houston area know about them, but very few elsewhere in Texas would know they exist. These places are not like Bourbon in New Orleans or Freemont in Vegas where EVERYONE has heard of it. You're really reaching.

That being said, Houston IN GENERAL is more well-known as a party scene due to it's status as a hip-hop hub. This has been stated a million times. That doesn't mean that Houston is necessarily a BETTER party city than Dallas (although it is to me, and it's not even close...but that could be due to my CHOICE of partying)... it's just more WELL KNOWN, for obvious reasons.

Last edited by spacecitytx; 07-26-2021 at 01:34 PM..

Old 07-26-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
No offense, but I promise you they are NOT well-known...even WITHIN Texas, unless you're from the Dallas area or just happened to hear about it, very few have heard of a "Deep Ellum" or "Lower Greenville" or "Bishop Arts". It's no different than Houston's Almeda strip or 3rd Ward's hole in the wall bars...people who party in the Houston area know about them, but very few elsewhere in Texas would know they exist. These places are not like Bourbon in New Orleans or Freemont in Vegas where EVERYONE has heard of it. You're really reaching.

That being said, Houston IN GENERAL is more well-known as a party scene due to it's status as a hip-hop hub. This has been stated a million times. That doesn't mean that Houston is necessarily a BETTER party city than Dallas (although it is to me, and it's not even close...but that could be due to my CHOICE or partying)... it's just more WELL KNOWN, for obvious reasons.
Dallasboi wasn’t claiming this though. That would be R1. I think your second paragraph is right. the reason for Houston’s nightlife being more well known is probably hip hop

It almost makes you wonder what Houston’s image would’ve been without hip hop. These days, they even talk about it on Nickelodeon

Old 07-26-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
It is not inaccurate… I’ve been to Montrose, Midtown and Washington Ave.

• Montrose was subpar compared to Oak Lawn in terms of quality of venues, amount of people out and about, overall experience. Some streets had ditches instead of sidewalks as well. Not very urban.
• Midtown is similar to Uptown Dallas in concept, but there still seems to be quite a bit of little shopping strips sprinkled around the area decreasing the urban experience and there were some pretty sketchy spots. Actual bars seemed similar in vibe though.
• Washington Avenue is sub par when compared to Deep Ellum in terms of urbanity, cohesion, continuous development…there was a shuttle bus to take you to bars because it’s just not as pedestrian oriented. It’s also quite a bit smaller of an area, with less people out and about. Deep Ellum is more similar to parts of downtown Austin.

I apologize if there’s a big bustling nightlife district that I missed, but it is not a good thing for a tourist to visit a city and not know where to go. Houston can do a better job at that.

I dunno about Houston, but Last call is not 1:30, it’s 2:00 am and there are clubs that stay open beyond 2 am (without alcohol sales).

Lol...2:00 am is when the clubs CLOSE...not the LAST CALL. You really must NOT go out, lol.

Old 07-26-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Dallasboi wasn’t claiming this though. That would be R1. I think your second paragraph is right. the reason for Houston’s nightlife being more well known is probably hip hop

Well, he DID say that people outside of Texas "know" about certain party areas in Dallas...I simply stated that, outside of North Texas people themselves and maybe a few hardcore partiers in other places, no one knows of those places.

It almost makes you wonder what Houston’s image would’ve been without hip hop. These days, they even talk about it on Nickelodeon

Who knows, lol.

Old 07-26-2021, 02:07 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,275,674 times
Quote:
Same can be said about Houston's Washington Avenue, Montrose, Midtown, and even the area i like to refer to now as "The Turkey Leg Hut district"

Old 07-26-2021, 02:32 PM

Midtown is the one that may get lost for tourists. The main streets of Midtown are Main St and Louisiana while the bustling nightlife is to the West. On that Dallasboi is right. That said though, Midtown didn’t start poppin until a few years back. It just grew so fast from there. It’s getting a lot more integrated with visitors overtime though . Deep Ellum is relatively new in what it is today too and they’re also seeing their integration with visitors improve over the years

In 2019, the Astroworld crowd integrated tourists with Midtown better than I thought it could. This year, with a daily attendance of 100K, it’ll be even better. Sure it’s just one event, but it draws visitors from all over the world that specifically look to the Rage community. And it’s one of the hottest music festivals. That’s done Midtown wonders. Another example of how hip hop brought Houston’s nightlife to the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston