Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2021, 02:40 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,310,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Not all of them. It's not as busy/rowdy as before when those establishments were open until 5am but then the City of ATL (although it didn't want to) shortened the hours of these places. Buckhead still has a ton of activity, especially there. Even after renaming the area Streets of Buckhead and then now whatever it is. Buckhead attracts a lot of entertainers and they gotta go out somewhere. I'd say more activity on average than what you see in Dallas or Houston. ATL overall just has more pedestrian activity in its core activity centers day and night.
I’m not sure how long ago you went out in that area, but Deep Ellum in Dallas alone is much better than the Buckhead scene, heck even the Crescent street scene in midtown. Atlanta’s nightlife is not on the level it once was. As for Houston, the areas just aren’t as urban or large. Those who are basing Dallas on visits during COVID will not have a very accurate picture. Dallas County was very tough on bars and restaurants with restrictions. The crowds now still aren’t back to pre-pandemic numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 02:45 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,981,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I’m not sure how long ago you went out in that area, but Deep Ellum in Dallas alone is much better than the Buckhead scene, heck even the Crescent street scene in midtown. Atlanta’s nightlife is not on the level it once was. As for Houston, the areas just aren’t as urban or large. Those who are basing Dallas on visits during COVID will not have a very accurate picture. Dallas County was very tough on bars and restaurants with restrictions. The crowds now still aren’t back to pre-pandemic numbers.
This might be more of a recent phenomenon due to the buckhead crime wave and wanting to split from the city. People aren't going there as much but I was there a couple months ago and it was pretty damn lively.

I would not put crescent street above buckhead activity at all though, and Deep Ellum is more at the level of an Edgewood Avenue in Atlanta.

Speaking of Dallas though it doesn't get enough credit for some of its walkable areas. I was in Deep Ellum recently too and everything was packed but best of all it is diverse. That one tall condo tower with the "graffiti" art is a nice touch to the area and everyone has to take a photo of it. The other graffiti art is cool too even if it was mostly all done by the same person .

Old 07-20-2021, 03:23 PM

9,907 posts, read 6,617,073 times
Quote:
But again, they aren't in Houston either for this matter. You just haven't experienced Houston. I'm sure you've went out in Houston, but you haven't done it correctly or recently from your depiction. You have Dallas because you live there. I'm not going to say there's a Houston equivilent to Deep Ellum, but there's not a Dallas equivilent to Midtown. In many ways, Deep Ellum near concentration levels as Midtown but the vibes are a bit different. Midtown is vibrant LED lights while Deep Ellum has historic buildings. Yes, there's no "this version" in there but that's not due to concentration levels.

Old 07-20-2021, 03:37 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,917,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Search the Texas Forums. There are dozens of threads about that. No need to start another one unless you have a very specific question about accommodation or job.
You received a lot of info on your previous 16 threads about the same topic
Let's not forget that this entire thread is rehashing the same discussions of about 100 other Dallas v Houston threads here on CD from a poster who has posed the same question 16 other times, per the mod.

But you know the saying about beating a dead horse and the definition of insanity and whatnot...

Old 07-20-2021, 03:41 PM

3,169 posts, read 2,058,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Downtown around the historic district can get like this too or at least it was the last time I was there. They closed down Main St and everything. Crowd definitely skewed older. The area has a good aesthetic too.

That was just turkey leg hut traffic lol but yeah that's another area which has come up recently.
No, this was late night, I'm like 99% sure TLH was closed. Mostly Faces/5015 traffic.

It's still small but there's anchors on both ends of Almeda (Davis St. to the south, Axelrad to the north) that should lead to a lot of infill in nightlife over time. It's a prime area for development right now.

Old 07-20-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
No, this was late night, I'm like 99% sure TLH was closed. Mostly Faces/5015 traffic.

It's still small but there's anchors on both ends of Almeda (Davis St. to the south, Axelrad to the north) that should lead to a lot of infill in nightlife over time. It's a prime area for development right now.
The West end of Midtown around Daisy Dukes takes away a lot of traffic from there. The more that concentration of bars and clubs grows, the less I see Eastern Midtown going

Although... I know that side is seeing a lot of African American bars and clubs come up. This will be great for the Third Ward since gentrification seems to be sucking up the last bit of third ward elements that existed in adjacent portions of Midtown.

Rice University made a promise that its Innovation District wouldn't cause a mass gentrification and they'd find ways to implement third ward there. Just a year later, I'm sure we can all agree this was utter bs and whatever attempt was made to slow gentrification didn't do the least to work..

Old 07-20-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, those areas exist in Houston. I just don’t think the neighborhoods are on the same level as the ones around Central Dallas. It’s more of a mixed bag in Houston.
I am not sure what you mean here. Neighborhoods as in the areas/houses surrounding the nightlife spots? Or neighborhoods as in the layout of the nightlife? I'm not sure what you mean by more of a mixed bag in Houston bc there's plenty of walkable (and unwalkable) nightlife in both cities. Outside of the central areas of both, neither has a particularly walkable or compact true nightlife scene (a couple of bars in a suburban town center notwithstanding) but that's true of most major cities in this country outside of NYC and maybe DC/LA/Miami (assuming Miami Beach doesn't count as central Miami).

I just don't see some big difference between Deep Ellum/Uptown/Greenville/Bishop Arts and Montrose/Midtown/EaDo/Washington at the end of the day, especially not one that people are going to care about when going out on the town.

Old 07-20-2021, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I am not sure what you mean here. Neighborhoods as in the areas/houses surrounding the nightlife spots? Or neighborhoods as in the layout of the nightlife? I'm not sure what you mean by more of a mixed bag in Houston bc there's plenty of walkable (and unwalkable) nightlife in both cities. Outside of the central areas of both, neither has a particularly walkable or compact true nightlife scene (a couple of bars in a suburban town center notwithstanding) but that's true of most major cities in this country outside of NYC and maybe DC/LA/Miami (assuming Miami Beach doesn't count as central Miami).

I just don't see some big difference between Deep Ellum/Uptown/Greenville/Bishop Arts and Montrose/Midtown/EaDo/Washington at the end of the day, especially not one that people are going to care about when going out on the town.
Deep Ellum is easily over Montrose and even Washington in walkable nightlife. I just wouldn't agree on Midtown. I get a lot of Deep Ellum vibes from Washington, but that one has too many gaps to fill.

Old 07-20-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The West end of Midtown around Daisy Dukes takes away a lot of traffic from there. The more that concentration of bars and clubs grows, the less I see Eastern Midtown going

Although... I know that side is seeing a lot of African American bars and clubs come up. This will be great for the Third Ward since gentrification seems to be sucking up the last bit of third ward elements that existed in adjacent portions of Midtown.

Rice University made a promise that its Innovation District wouldn't cause a mass gentrification and they'd find ways to implement third ward there. Just a year later, I'm sure we can all agree this was utter bs and whatever attempt was made to slow gentrification didn't do the least to work..
That area isn't really viewed as Midtown though, it kind of has its own thing going on and is historically Third Ward. I don't think much of what's going on north of 59 should affect its growth at all, it definitely has a completely different vibe than that area does.

Only thing that's probably kept it low-key over time is the fact there's so many existing businesses on Almeda that would have to cycle out for more nightlife spots to open and its so densely developed that anything new has to be redevelopment of an existing property. Way different from Midtown where they just tore everything down and built most of what's there now from scratch.

Old 07-20-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:
That area isn't really viewed as Midtown though, it kind of has its own thing going on and is historically Third Ward. I don't think much of what's going on north of 59 should affect its growth at all, it definitely has a completely different vibe than that area does.

Only thing that's probably kept it low-key over time is the fact there's so many existing businesses on Almeda that would have to cycle out for more nightlife spots to open and its so densely developed that anything new has to be redevelopment of an existing property. Way different from Midtown where they just tore everything down and built most of what's there now from scratch.
I definitely see considerably less homeless ever since the redevelopment of SEARS and Fiesta. It seems Rice is cracking down on them in order to jumpstart their new campus. I'm not too sure about the history of that particular portion. I know it was historically a commercial district. But this area has majorly gentrified via redevelopments. The portion you I hope you're right and it keeps its culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston