Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 04:52 PM

272 posts, read 248,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
-Dallas seems to be more politically active for whatever reason on both sides. The liberals I know in Dallas more liberal and the conservatives I know there are more conservative than in Houston. Both are more vocal as well. Houston is much more libertarian in nature where as Dallas is more liberal and conservative.
-I never appreciated DFW airport enough. Its so much more user friendly than Bush is. DFW also served about 30 more destinations than Bush does. Bush does have more international carriers but that isnt enough to make up the difference for me.
-The way each city views the other is different. People in Houston view Dallas a city with only white people and people in Dallas view Houston as a strictly blue collar city. The stereotypes are worn and tired.
-When people in Dallas complain about Houston, they mainly seem to complain about the humidity and ugliness of the industrial side of the city but I never heard people in Dallas complain about the people. When people in Houston complain about Dallas, they only seem to complain about the people. This makes me quite annoyed with Houstonians who do that.
-People in Houston are more wound up about the rivalry of the cities than people in Dallas. Especially when it comes to sports.
-People in Houston place a greater emphasis on their culinary and fine arts scene. People in Dallas place a greater emphasis on shopping and nightlife.
-Dallas has a far more consumerist mindset. People in Houston are far more laid back.
-Going out in Dallas (at least for the scene I like) was much more of a chore but a lot more intense too. We would have to get dolled up just to go to a bar, but people tended to stay out later too. In Houston, people are cool with throwing on a pair of jeans to go anywhere.
-I never considered Dallas a hilly city, but I find myself missing what hills there were. The rolling prairie had a beauty to it that I didnt quite appreciate. Now that I live in a city that is truly flat, I miss that. That said, I could totally see myself missing the greenery in Houston if I left here.
-Both cities are more religious than your average city (Dallas ever so slightly moreso), but I never once in either city had anyone ask me about my beliefs, where I went to church, or anything else on topic. I never understood the need to paint either place as overly religious. Agnostics like myself can exist either place and never have to be caught up in religious culture.
-Both Dallas and Houston have a massive number of immigrants but the flavor and feel Houston is certainly more international. Ive always said "Dallas is an American city with international residents, Houston is an international city with international residents".
-Fort Worth is the unsung hero of the Metroplex. What I did enjoy about living in Dallas was being able to go to Fort Worth and get a completely different flavor. Dallas and Fort Worth truly complement each other very well despite the rivalry. Part of the selling point of living in Dallas was Fort Worth. Houston really doesnt have an equivalent. Ive heard the arguement made for Galveston but its simply not the same. Its further and is more culturally isolated from Houston. The two just dont interact as much.
-I miss being able to drive to the foothills of the Ozarks which was only 3-3.5 hours from Dallas. That said, there are things Id miss about Houston's proximity too. I like being able to go the beaches in South Texas or drive to New Orleans and that was a plane trip from Dallas.
-Im not gay but my wife and I love going to gay clubs. The gay scene in Dallas is HUGE. Houston has nothing that comes close to Dallas on the level of gay nightlife.

So based on all of this, do I have a preference? I do have a slight preference for Houston for two reasons:
1) the people are genuinely more laid back
2) the culinary scene is objectively better. There are some aspects of the food scene that are better in Dallas (the Korean and Japanese food leap to mind), but overall Houston does win out there.

That said, if I need to move back to Dallas, I wouldnt shy away from it at all. I enjoyed my years there and wouldnt be opposed to spending more time there.
Thank you for this. Very helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 06:21 PM

10,019 posts, read 6,713,445 times
The general consensus is that Houston is more nightlife centric than DFW. Doesn’t mean it’s right though. The consensus has Austin over both, but I have it behind both.

Old 07-18-2021, 06:25 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,784,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Dallas gets my vote hands down. They know how to run a city. And there's the deal. All the suburbs around are Dallas are also incorporated cities.

Unlike Harris county, if you are not in an incorporated city you have to rely on HOA and MUDs for any city services like trash pick up and law enforcement.

The communities in and around Dallas know how to run a town. That leaves the residents free to pursue wherever their interest leads them. Unlike the greater Houston area where tires are stolen from vehicles so frequently it appears the thieves have regular route. And the robbery is so frequently the LEOs won't even bother taking fingerprints.
Man, ain't that the truth. I couldn't agree more

Old 07-18-2021, 06:44 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 22 days ago)

8,452 posts, read 5,596,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The general consensus is that Houston is more nightlife centric than DFW. Doesn’t mean it’s right though. The consensus has Austin over both, but I have it behind both.
Is that the general consensus? I think it depends on the crowd. It certainly isnt the case if youre gay.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Is that the general consensus? I think it depends on the crowd. It certainly isnt the case if youre gay.
Yes it is. There’s even a song about it.

As a matter of a fact, this is something Dallasites rightfully complain about is that they are very underrated in this regard and people view the below what they have to offer. They’re seen inferior in this regard compared to what they really are.

As for the “it isn’t if you’re gay”, that’s the equivalent of saying Austin’s nightlife isn’t seen as superior to Houston if you’re black. Regardless, Austin is still seen as a more nightlife centric city even if there’s one exception to the rule. But in reality, Austin is easily behind both if you ask me.

I have extensively went out in both Houston and Dallas during/post pandemic and I can confirm there’s great vibes in both and I like visiting each when I get the chance and see their different vibes.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:57 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 22 days ago)

8,452 posts, read 5,596,846 times
Quote:
Yes it is. There’s even a song about it.

As a matter of a fact, this is something Dallasites rightfully complain about is that they are very underrated in this regard and people view the below what they have to offer. They’re seen inferior in this regard compared to what they really are.

As for the “it isn’t if you’re gay”, that’s the equivalent of saying Austin’s nightlife isn’t seen as superior to Houston if you’re black. Regardless, Austin is still seen as a more nightlife centric city even if there’s one exception to the rule. But in reality, Austin is easily behind both if you ask me.

I have extensively went out in both Houston and Dallas during/post pandemic and I can confirm there’s great vibes in both and I like visiting each when I get the chance and see their different vibes.
Drake is black. People who are black are more likely to see Houston's nightlife as turned up and Dallas as lacking

That goes back to my original point. It just depends on what crowd youre in. If you are black, you will see Houston as superior. If youre white, youll see Austin that way. If youre gay, youll see Dallas that way.

But I do agree with your conclusion. None of these cities is Indianapolis. They all provide great nightlife options.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Drake is black. People who are black are more likely to see Houston's nightlife as turned up and Dallas as lacking

That goes back to my original point. It just depends on what crowd youre in. If you are black, you will see Houston as superior. If youre white, youll see Austin that way. If youre gay, youll see Dallas that way.

But I do agree with your conclusion. None of these cities is Indianapolis. They all provide great nightlife options.
Drake is the most successful artist of the 2010s and still currently one of the most successful artists. This isn’t a random opinion gathered from a random.

Again, sure certain demographics will steer one way or another. But the overall consensus will have Austin as the best in Texas and Houston ahead of Dallas. It’s not just about hip hop, although the considering it’s the MOST POPULAR GENRE IN THE WORLD for a good while now, this was certainly part of what got Houston’s nightlife more recognized.

A google search also backs this up. Out of curiosity, every single list on the front . “Oh but anyone can find a list that benefits them”. Again it’s all of them not one. And oh look at that, Austin is ahead of Houston in all of them (except one) too. Yes, google reflects the consensus as well.

Additionally, out of curiosity, I searched up the top gay nightlife cities and that particular one steers Dallas over Houston, so what you’re saying is reflected as well. Not the general thought.

General consensus in regards to nightlife: Austin > Houston > Dallas

Reality: a toss up between Houston and Dallas with Austin clearly behind.

Old 07-18-2021, 09:42 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,483,592 times
Quote:
-Both cities are more religious than your average city (Dallas ever so slightly moreso), but I never once in either city had anyone ask me about my beliefs, where I went to church, or anything else on topic. I never understood the need to paint either place as overly religious. Agnostics like myself can exist either place and never have to be caught up in religious culture.
Evangelical religious culture has a stranglehold in the South along with Friday night football and apple pie. It constantly tries to ban abortion, constantly subvert the First Amendment to make Evangelical Christianity as the official creed (mostly on school prayer and opening prayer for school board meetings), tries to make Evangelical dogma into public law mandated on non-believers (including fellow non-Evangelical Christians) on such issues as gay rights, evolution and Zionism.

Dallas was the bastion of Southern Baptistry and now Evangelical Christianity. Houston is the bastion of both Catholicism in the South and Episcopalianism in Texas. Also it's the continental bastion for former Episcopalian priests turned Catholic, which sours ecumenical relations between both churches. Religious culture is part of the economy in both cities.

Quote:
-Im not gay but my wife and I love going to gay clubs. The gay scene in Dallas is HUGE. Houston has nothing that comes close to Dallas on the level of gay nightlife.
Well the gay scene in Dallas is nothing compared to Rome.

Interesting read:
https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/e...ican-1.7087409

Old 07-19-2021, 12:45 AM

272 posts, read 248,388 times
Quote:
Drake is the most successful artist of the 2010s and still currently one of the most successful artists. This isn’t a random opinion gathered from a random.

Again, sure certain demographics will steer one way or another. But the overall consensus will have Austin as the best in Texas and Houston ahead of Dallas. It’s not just about hip hop, although the considering it’s the MOST POPULAR GENRE IN THE WORLD for a good while now, this was certainly part of what got Houston’s nightlife more recognized.

A google search also backs this up. Out of curiosity, every single list on the front . “Oh but anyone can find a list that benefits them”. Again it’s all of them not one. And oh look at that, Austin is ahead of Houston in all of them (except one) too. Yes, google reflects the consensus as well.

Additionally, out of curiosity, I searched up the top gay nightlife cities and that particular one steers Dallas over Houston, so what you’re saying is reflected as well. Not the general thought.

General consensus in regards to nightlife: Austin > Houston > Dallas

Reality: a toss up between Houston and Dallas with Austin clearly behind.
I love how once again... race and colour has come into play.
Do Americans always do this ? Bring up colour LOL..anyways..
I’m white, I prefer fine dining and good lounges.

Old 07-19-2021, 01:05 AM

4,397 posts, read 4,654,132 times
I think Michael and As Above had the most fair post on both cities. Both cities offer similar experiences and if weather and sprawl is not a huge turn off to you I don't see how you can go wrong in either city or say you like one better over the other.

With that said, I think maybe because I live in Houston I've seen the best and worst in Houstonians but the times I've been to Dallas as of recently it seems to me that people came off more friendly than Houston. Now granted these people I've meet while in Dallas were transplants but it seems like the transplants in Dallas compared to Houston have been more friendlier. That's not to say Houston isn't warming and welcoming but based off my experience I get that Houston in general seems to be more just in their own zone and world. People will acknowledge you but still feels like it's people constantly on the move. I'm not in Dallas so I can't say for sure and whos to say I notice these things more because I'm visiting but Dallas did seem to have more talkative welcoming people imo.

For the record just came back from San Antonio and San Antonio imo has the friendliest people out of all the big Texas cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston