Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 12:54 PM

9,914 posts, read 6,623,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuggz View Post
Sorry, if you live in North America in 2021, you are not oppressed.
Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.
Go travel and witness real oppression.
Even if this were true, It’s not about oppression. It’s about culture. People like to socialize among their own because of cultural ties. How this is hard to understand is beyond me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 02:03 PM

153 posts, read 110,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Even if this were true, It’s not about oppression. It’s about culture. People like to socialize among their own because of cultural ties. How this is hard to understand is beyond me
It's not hard to understand. The only logical reason for deligitimizing such question is to discourage minorities from asking about places that make them feel included.

I can only think of two reasons for doing so and only one makes sense. One is not wanting people to discover places where they feel included and accepted as a human despite being part of a subculture. I really don't think people are that cold-hearted so I doubt this is it for most people. The other is seeing/hearing minorities ask such questions conjures up feelings of guilt. They feel personally attacked because minorities are exposing an uncomfortable reality about their American experience and they feel as if someone is claiming that they are individually responsible for this. This makes more sense because most people are good hearted people. I can see why a question conjures up feelings of white guilt. I feel the same way as a man when women in my male-dominated profession exposes inequities within our industry. Some of them form support groups and meet outside of work. I'm happy that they have those safe spaces and I try to ensure that my own actions don't add to any negative consequences they experience within our work culture. I never seek to shut them up or dismiss their experiences.

I think that's the main reason you see people despise the question. That's why one person sarcastically claimed that be ready to hear how it's their fault because of their privilege. It's a scarecrow argument that people aren't necessarily making. It's more complex than that.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:48 PM

268 posts, read 180,781 times
I agree....non-whites...you are not oppressed in America today.

Old 07-19-2021, 05:07 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 9 hours ago)

8,360 posts, read 5,521,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Allen View Post
I agree....non-whites...you are not oppressed in America today.
It’s too blanket of a statement to say oppression does or does not exist. It’s situational.

Old 07-19-2021, 05:17 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,630,842 times
Quote:
You’re a White Man living in Canada…please stay in Canada with that bs. We got enough American born bigots as is here in the states. Don’t need anymore.

Old 07-19-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
You’re a White Man living in Canada…please stay in Canada with that bs. We got enough American born bigots as is here in the states. Don’t need anymore.
Funny thing is he brought up oppression in the first place.

Old 07-19-2021, 06:33 PM

272 posts, read 247,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Funny thing is he brought up oppression in the first place.
“ And unfortunately, humanity has NOT in human nature seen us all as a whole. This is why racial oppression exists in the first place. But that’s an argument for another day.”
Your memory must be selective.

Old 07-19-2021, 06:36 PM

272 posts, read 247,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Coming to terms with reality doesn’t make one a bigot.
You should take a trip to the Middle East.
Go experience real oppression.

Old 07-19-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
“ And unfortunately, humanity has NOT in human nature seen us all as a whole. This is why racial oppression exists in the first place. But that’s an argument for another day.”
Your memory must be selective.
Quote:
Is yours? Prior to you, no one mentioned modern day America being oppressed. Cultural differences exist wether through oppression or natural boundaries.

Again, I agreed with you that demographics didn’t have to be brought up in the first place in how we perceive the better nightlife cities. That’s why I agreed with you and disagreed with AsAbove. Austin is usually seen as first and Houston as second, Dallas as third unless you get into specifics. But to deny that there are cultural /sub cultural nightlife venues and people enjoy them this way is delusion.

As for your claim that no one in America is oppressed in 2021, not only is it wrong, but it had nothing to do with this to begin with. If you don’t know why people would choose to go to a black specific/gay specific/Asian specific/white specific club or bar, then you have a thing or two to learn. Your perception and knowledge of culture needs some work.

Old 07-19-2021, 09:25 PM

4,436 posts, read 6,311,493 times
Houston may have some fun individual bars, but it's nightlife scene is nothing like Dallas or Austin. I can't think of anywhere in Houston like Deep Ellum, Cedar Springs Strip, Lowest Greenville, Bishop Arts, and so on. The overall experience you get with nightlife areas adds tons to the entire vibe. You don't even have to go to bars, you can just walk around and people watch or interact with people on the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston