Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 08:03 AM

5,615 posts, read 4,947,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Developers got slick and cut a side deal with a Village in Brazoria County - https://therealdeal.com/texas/2022/0...texas-village/
"Got slick" No, developers trying to serve the entry-level market made a practical decision given the attempt of BC commissioners to prohibit their project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 09:57 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,029,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Meh, I'm with LocalPlanner on this one. Government generally has no business meddling in what kind of housing is built. Exclusionary policies towards apartments cause us all to lose as housing is more expensive overall. Everyone isn't able to live in SFH and apartments have to be built SOMEWHERE. At the end of the day no one wants them near them but they're perfectly happy to burden other communities with apartments. There shouldn't be any neighborhoods that can legally prevent them imo. And local governments shouldn't be able to do what, for example, Providence Village in DFW is doing.

https://www.wfaa.com/amp/article/new...a-932ebfe306b4

Poor people aren't going anywhere, deal with it.
Philosophically I am aligned with LocalPlanner and Mr. Clutch on this topic. It’s pretty transparent what the “no apartments” side really wants.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:02 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Philosophically I am aligned with LocalPlanner and Mr. Clutch on this topic. It’s pretty transparent what the “no apartments” side really wants.
Who said no apartments? No one made that argument.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:06 AM

5,615 posts, read 4,947,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Who said no apartments? No one made that argument.
But they have made "limit apartments" arguments, as well as "limit starter homes" arguments. Neither of which are justified.

And communities around the country use zoning to do that, and it's pretty transparent that they're trying to use government to limit opportunities for low and middle income people to live in their communities and school zones, now and in the future.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:35 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,029,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
I see lots of apartments recently built next to HEB on Tuckerton.
Haven't expected to see so many.
Those are brand new, 2022.
Traffic is getting worse already.
And those people don't have to pay huge HOA fees to infiltrate the same schools in the area.
That's probably the main driver for those who work in Houston but decide to rent in Towne Lake.
How much it's going downhill now?
Did the developers cheat on residents?
They could have built more houses instead of those apartment buildings.
Come on DabOnEm....you can see right through this.

Old 08-04-2022, 11:19 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,220,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
"Got slick" No, developers trying to serve the entry-level market made a practical decision given the attempt of BC commissioners to prohibit their project.
entry level market 50 miles from Houston lol - that's greed where they can plaster cheap built homes with little restrictions as they're just glorified apartments since they can't own

Old 08-04-2022, 11:44 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,764,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Again, I didn’t mention any of these restrictions also. Nowhere in North Katy is purely upper middle class. Old Katy area is middle class with a range of incomes and North Katy (meaning East of 99) is solidly lower middle class with maybe one pocket neighborhood in that entire area with incomes that could be consider upper middle class, it’s pretty uniform.

I would outright ban starter homes, due to aesthetics the cheapness of building material etcetera. Many of these homes look terrible after just 10 years. Landowners can do whatever they want as long as it doesn’t cause blight. I would also not allow builders who have a history of bad development and development “turning ghetto” in 20 years, I would say until they can build housing up to a certain standard and neighborhoods that meet that standard, whether it’s every neighborhood built must comes with an amenities or special amenity, something along those lines.
I like dense housing, I have nothing against 40 foot lots, I’m against the current housing trend that basically built suburbs-to-declining in 5-10 years homes. You basically have to build to a standard that’s above whatever current “standard” exists, every new neighborhood must follow this.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:04 AM

24,003 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Any body with the funding can do anything they please in unincorporated Harris county Texas.

The City of Houston and the MUDs have the tax base.

There will be no area incorporating or being annexed.

Welcome to Texas.

Anybody who has a need to control property development must first own the land.

Old 08-10-2022, 08:02 PM

116 posts, read 170,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
I see lots of apartments recently built next to HEB on Tuckerton.
Haven't expected to see so many.
Those are brand new, 2022.
Traffic is getting worse already.
And those people don't have to pay huge HOA fees to infiltrate the same schools in the area.
That's probably the main driver for those who work in Houston but decide to rent in Towne Lake.
How much it's going downhill now?
Did the developers cheat on residents?
They could have built more houses instead of those apartment buildings.
Those apartments are being built by Cypress Creek Lake not Towne Lake. HEB is part of Cypress Creek Lake Master Planned Community (MPC). Second, EVERY MPC has zoned mixed use commercial acreage in their communities. Which includes building apartments. Third, the MPCs tend to build the apartments on the outskirts of the communities near major intersections. Fourth, apartment communities do background checks. But the guy renting the house next to yours, most likely wasn't background checked.

If you want to live somewhere where there are NO apartments you might have to check a rural community far away from civilization.

Lastly, your HOA doesn't pay for the schools, YOUR taxes does. And every renter in those apartments rent goes towards property taxes that is paying for the schools.

And once again, TOWNE LAKE is not building apartments near HEB, Cypress Creek Lakes is. If you have issue with it, reach out to Mischer the developer: | Planned Communities | Residential Developers | Commercial Developers | Mischer Investments

Old 08-10-2022, 11:43 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,528,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhevoice View Post
Those apartments are being built by Cypress Creek Lake not Towne Lake. HEB is part of Cypress Creek Lake Master Planned Community (MPC). Second, EVERY MPC has zoned mixed use commercial acreage in their communities. Which includes building apartments. Third, the MPCs tend to build the apartments on the outskirts of the communities near major intersections. Fourth, apartment communities do background checks. But the guy renting the house next to yours, most likely wasn't background checked.

If you want to live somewhere where there are NO apartments you might have to check a rural community far away from civilization.

Lastly, your HOA doesn't pay for the schools, YOUR taxes does. And every renter in those apartments rent goes towards property taxes that is paying for the schools.

And once again, TOWNE LAKE is not building apartments near HEB, Cypress Creek Lakes is. If you have issue with it, reach out to Mischer the developer: | Planned Communities | Residential Developers | Commercial Developers | Mischer Investments
Well I already mentioned Cypress Creek Lakes so I am aware of that. However it is directly impacting Towne Lake.
And I know that HOA fees don't pay for the schools, but it's additional price the owners have to pay to get into the community. Apartment renters don't pay these fees but still can sneak into the same schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston